Teen boys are getting extorted by Snapchat scammers

Teen boys are getting extorted by Snapchat scammers

Jack1

Registrant
Snapchat TERRIFIES me because I know for a fact that there are hundreds and probably thousands of teen boys on there sending images of themselves. Probably to peers supposedly their age (not that that is legal anyway), but you never know and I guarantee perps troll through and find em all. The way some boys talk about it semi openly like a thinly veiled secret is scary to me. It's just known sort of thing, and I don't think I want to know how Snapchat has not faced more legal trouble from all the literal CP it facilitates the transmission of. There has got to be lots of exploitation there and it sickens me.

Edit: Now the extortion is new to me, but very much so not surprising given what I know/have heard of what kinds of things happen there. I really hope that at least the money (makes things move faster) getting involved jumpstarts some real work at preventing all content of minors and vulnerable people all round.

Last edited:
I don't do snapchat - but I have friends who have kids that did dumb things - they don't think it through - they are just impulsive - I know a teen boy who was just looking for body valification - to know that he was "normal" down there - now he's a registered sex offender

it hurts that technology can be used against teens so easily - once those images are out there they cannot be gotten back - teens don't understand the lasting damage

I know a teen boy who was just looking for body valification - to know that he was "normal" down there - now he's a registered sex offender
I present to you a potential consequence of failure to provide and enforce/regulate proper comprehensive sex ed (not saying that's the case here per say just in general). Also perhaps more controversial one
A problem with the sex offender registry. Namely the addition of teens greatly limiting their lives often instead of addressing the underlying problems, and creating and environment much less conducive for rehabilitation, education, and help.

I am sure there are a fair few more cases like that, curiosity turned criminal, with a blind eye to the reason these boys became vulnerable in the first place.

A problem with the sex offender registry. Namely the addition of teens greatly limiting their lives often instead of addressing the underlying problems, and creating and environment much less conducive for rehabilitation, education, and help.

I am sure there are a fair few more cases like that, curiosity turned criminal, with a blind eye to the reason these boys became vulnerable in the first place.
I know that at 11 and 12 years old I was a naive and submissive kid and I shudder at the thought of what I may have been ensnared in if Snapchat or one of the others had been around when I was young.

A state politician in NC lost his son to same scam not long ago, only it was on Instagram I believe.

And Meghan's Law is something that went from a tool to register where habitual sex offenders were living when released from jail to people being labeled a sex-offender because they took a piss on the side of the road. Yet my former neighbor (who was a cop), molested a bunch of teenage girls while on the job and as part of the plea agreement they dropped the sex charges and only charged him with "official misconduct" because his lawyer said he would make every girl testify..

I used Snapchat a few times about seven years ago. Got bored with it. I was only following one guy who I found attractive and only for his pics. Don’t worry. He was an adult. Never used it to take any photos of myself. All I did was see what others took photos of.

This is what happened to me, years ago, and it wasn’t Snapchat then. Yahoo messenger around the year 2000. But it was awful. It left me in a state of perpetual anxiety that didn’t go away even years after I got away from the abuser about three years later. Parents, protect your kids. Tell them what to do if they get into a situation like this. Mine had no idea what was happening, and I was too naive to know that they would save me from it instead of being angry at me for it.