General Thoughts to Share I May Have Prostate Cancer and I’m Scared

General Thoughts to Share I May Have Prostate Cancer and I’m Scared
Thanks @LRD . I will finish my antibiotics and take a PSA test when it's appropriate and see how things look before drawing conclusions.

I saw a new urologist for the first time today. My previous one moved out of the area.

Now I am more scared. I gave them a urine sample and he didn’t tell me about it until I asked at the end of the session when we’re checking out. I asked him and he told me there was still some blood in the urine. Why didn’t he tell me this earlier in the appointment? Why didn’t he tell me that they were sending it for a culture to confirm my previous UTI was gone and doesn’t require more antibiotics?

He has scheduled me for blood work and a PSA test.

He has also scheduled me for a CT scan.

I don’t feel good about any of this but I’m just going to get the tests done.

Last edited:
@tanuki-san, thanks for keeping us updated.
I’m glad you are seeking the additional testing.
Sometimes these professional guys don’t share, if they aren’t completely share themselves, and that could be the case.
So, the additional test may give him the data needed.
Just continue to take good care of yourself!
It’s hard not to be scared. My positive thoughts and prayers are with you through this process. LRD

Last edited:
Since doctors deal with health issues continuously they often don't give it much though beyond the normal routine. By this I mean, it would be normal procedure for a patient to provide a urine sample for a visit to a urologist, and they would normally do a quick check. In your case they of course they are checking to see if the infection is still present, since there is still signs of blood. It may have not cleared up and need another round of antibiotic or a different one. I know it is scary for you as the patient, but for the doctor he/she sees it all the time, so it is not a big deal. Not that they should not be communicating with you, unfortunately a lot of them don't unless asked. I assume they are waiting for results of the lab work to determine whether the infection is present or not before prescribing more antibiotic. As you know, for many years now there has been a concern about the overuse of antibiotics and bacteria becoming resistant.

Doctors do need to be more sensitive to how a patient feels. God willing it is just a UTI. Take care.

I want to take a few moments and say a personal thank you to you all for the comments, information and personal experiences that have been shared by members of MS.

This is really a priceless group to be a member of for us struggling with the life long challenges that follow childhood sexual abuse and the trauma that is so hard to shake afterwards.

I have been a member for over a year as of February of last year. MS has been so helpful to me and I have and will continue to be there for you the wonderful brothers here.

I have been using Reddit recently and have and will continue to point male survivors to this group. The breath of knowledge and experience here is amazing. As varied as our experiences are, I have witnessed that we can connect with at least one if not more survivors with similar experiences that may be further down the road of healing and they are willing to share their successes and challenges with us so that we can repeat the successes and avoid the challenges whenever possible.

I have made 2 donations to MS (one last year and one this year) that have been matched 2x by the company I retired with and want to encourage other MS members to make a donation if they can to support the work this non-profit and it’s volunteers does for all of us.

Last edited:
@tanuki-san - I think it is a good thing that your new urologist is doing those tests - it will give you piece of mind in knowing exactly what is or is not going on with your body

I was waiting until after my meeting with my urologist today to say any anything on this thread - you see, a few weeks back I met with my new urologist (my old one retired last fall) - she was concerned with the rise in my PSA test - she did a digital exam and felt that the whole right side of my prostate was hard as a rock - last Friday (yes, on my birthday) I had a 3D MRI done - and today was the reading of those results which show a decent sized mass that they are fairly certain (99% certain) is cancer - I will be having a biopsy done on the 21st of May which will prove 100% that it is cancer (the earliest they could get it done) - she has already said that they may have to remove the entire prostate and I'm totaly ok with that if it means I'm cancer free

Hey Brothers,

While on vacation (yesterday), I had blood in my urine. This has never happened before.

I went into the walk-in clinic last night and they did a urine test and confirmed that I have a UTI.

They have started me on an antibiotic.

I just looked this up and this could be a symptom of prostate cancer and I’m scared.

I am heading back home from today and will get a PSA test scheduled ASAP.

I’m scared brothers. I don’t want to tell my wife this and worry her, until I know for sure or not.
Could be a million things, had to admonish the kids yesterday for playing Dr. Google.

For us grownups, it's a fast track to insanity, even for those of us fairly well versed in this medical stuff, it can make you think you know more than you do, which is nothing at this point.

Anyways, prostates should be regularly monitored for your PSA levels, asked my Dr. why no "finger wave" as it's called.

"We don't do that any more, just monitor PSA levels"

"Oh" lol.

Prostate cancer is the one that moves so slowly, they say something else is more likely to get you first. Doesn't sound like a 911 situation from this end.

I had a 3D MRI done - and today was the reading of those results which show a decent sized mass that they are fairly certain (99% certain) is cancer - I will be having a biopsy done on the 21st of May which will prove 100% that it is cancer (the earliest they could get it done) - she has already said that they may have to remove the entire prostate and I'm totaly ok with that if it means I'm cancer free
@TJ jeff , I'm sorry that you are on this journey after all you have been thru. I have heard it said that many times they can remove the tumor without removing the entire prostate.

Second opinions can be helpful. Some doctors seem they born with a surgical knife in their hand and just want to cut things out.

I have a good friend that got 1 doctors opinion and just had them cut it out despite both of us meeting a woman over a weekend of Ayahuasca ceremonies that works in a surgery center that take tumors out all the time without taking the prostate out. He was not open to anything other that the hypnotic suggestion of this surgeon.

Guys, please take time and do your homework and get second opinions.
The biopsy, if cancer is present, usually results in a Gleason score or Grade Group. This tells a lot about the cancer and it’s aggression.

Yes, most prostate cancer does grow slow, but not always. Your age is normally a big factor in removal of prostate. Other factors are location and if there is a chance it could break the barrier. If you are in your fifties or even sixties, they normally recommend removal, if the grade is high enough.
There is a lot to a decision.

I am no expert, but I did study and researched. Ask my surgeon how many
Surgeries he had done. Nerve sparing
Is critical. This can have a big effect on quality of life after surgery.
Cancer is and always has been life changing.

But, there are positive out comes all the time.
Please DM if you want to talk more. I just wish you all the best. LRD