General Thoughts to Share I May Have Prostate Cancer and I’m Scared

General Thoughts to Share I May Have Prostate Cancer and I’m Scared

tanuki-san

Registrant
Hey Brothers,

While on vacation (yesterday), I had blood in my urine. This has never happened before.

I went into the walk-in clinic last night and they did a urine test and confirmed that I have a UTI.

They have started me on an antibiotic.

I just looked this up and this could be a symptom of prostate cancer and I’m scared.

I am heading back home from today and will get a PSA test scheduled ASAP.

I’m scared brothers. I don’t want to tell my wife this and worry her, until I know for sure or not.

I understand your fear. God willing it is just a UTI. It could also be a kidney stone. I am not a doctor, but I always have blood in my urine, this has been the case since in my 20's- normal for me- a harmless kidney issue Not all kidney stones cause pain, some are smaller and pass w/o much notice, but they do cause irritation and the bleeding. Since they did a urine analysis and determined you have a UTI, that is most likely the sole cause of the blood in your urine. UTI's are not normally a symptom of prostate cancer. Take care.

🫂 🫂 🫂 🫂 🫂 🫂

I'm really sorry to hear that brother, i understand how frightening this must be for you. It's best to wait for the results before jumping to conclusions. It's just going to stress you even more.

It's okay to confide in your wife for support, but do what feels right for you. Take care of yourself, and i hope everything turns out well. ♡

@tanuki-san. I have had prostate cancer, 4 years ago. I never had blood in my urine. It came up during a yearly physical when my doctor checked my PSA. It was just a little high from what it would normally be at my age (just turned 62 at the time). He said not to worry, that it didn’t mean cancer. He suggested we wait 6 months and check the PSA again. It had climbed higher. So he sent me to a urologist who did a biopsy. That’s when I knew for sure I had cancer. I had my prostate removed and have been cancer free for 4 years. I get checked once a year until year 10. I know it’s a scary time, waiting to see what lies ahead. Thoughts of your life changing, getting older, maybe realizing that you won’t live forever (that was me…I thought I would be the first, lol).

I pray it all goes well and encourage other guys to get their PSA checked. I know there are many on here who fear a digital exam, for good reason. But a PSA check is simple blood test. A digital exam may not tell the doctor anything as my prostate wasn’t enlarged. It is estimated that 1 in 9 men will have prostate cancer and the survival rate is very high when caught early.

Please feel free to message me if you want to talk. Stay strong brother.

Jeff

if your PSA comes back higher then they say is normal dont panic for many years I dealt with this issue due to higher then normal results over a few years some came back at over a ten normal is I think around 4.5 or so
I went through 3 prostate biopsy's everyone of them was clean
talked to my doc we came to the conclusion that I have naturally high PSA numbers
funny this topic came up as I just had a blood test last monday and my PSA was 6.5
you can check online for things that can raise the level that you should not do for a few days before the test

@tanuki-san - Hoping the very best for you brother! Be gentle... take good care.

Your friend,

Silly

I understand your fear.
I'm terrified.

Last summer I was diagnosed with Stage 2 prostate cancer and began "watchful waiting". Late this fall a test indicated that although the cancer was still contained in the prostate and had not spread the indication was that it is aggressive. I've been through all the test with the oncologist and am waiting to decide what kind of surgery is best for me. I see a surgeon on the 06 May ... doomsday.
It's a very stressful time but in the end ... what can one do?

Take care of yourself tanuki-san ... and do some research. At this point that's all you can do.
I hope this goes well for you.

Last edited:
Fear is understandable and seeing your Dr is priority.

I had blood in my urine. This has never happened before.

I went into the walk-in clinic last night and they did a urine test and confirmed that I have a UTI.
I have experienced that and also blood in my semen before not at the same time and i was panicked each time. Each were infections and cleared up with antibiotics. Years later i had issues with the prostate and urinating which turned out to be a stricture ironically it appears to have been from a bicycle injury at 18 and took 28 years to finally be an issues. Again was panicked but i think all men are when it involves those parts.

Try not to get yourself stressed out thinking it is cancer easier said than done but UTI in men are not that uncommon. Talk to the Dr get the PSA test and probably the physical exam. I am a huge advocate in yearly physicals.

FYI - PSA can be elevated by a lot of things per my urologist. Bike riding, sex, anything that can use or irritate it can elevate PSA. So don’t freak right away at a high number. Mine was elevated, I abstained from all things that could affect it, and my retake was very normal.

In 2009 I had my prostate removed due to stage 3 cancer. I have been in remission since then and have not had any serious side affects.

Hey Brothers,

While on vacation (yesterday), I had blood in my urine. This has never happened before.

They have started me on an antibiotic.

I just looked this up and this could be a symptom of prostate cancer and I’m scared.

I am heading back home from today and will get a PSA test scheduled ASAP.

I’m scared brothers. I don’t want to tell my wife this and worry her, until I know for sure or not.
Thinking of you. I have you in my prayers that it is just a UTI and you have your good heath back soon. We are all here for you

Hey brothers, I want to personally thank each one of you for your support and responses. I have continue to take antibiotics and my urine is blood free from color. I have to wait a while to schedule and take a PSA test and a UTI can raise the PSA level.

I haven’t responded to anyone here because my wife and I had to cut our vacation short due to our dog testing positive for Parvo.

This is even though he has been on a vaccine schedule and current with all his vaccines. Our breeder/dog watcher caught it right away and had the Parvo test done at the Vet and began treatment at her home. Our dog is recovering nicely but we are so worried that another dog in her home may have contracted it. We need to wait 2 weeks to know for sure. Our dog is back home with us and we are continuing treatment but he has taken up every waking hour of our focus and attention right now.

I understand your fear.
I'm terrified.

Last summer I was diagnosed with Stage 2 prostate cancer and began "watchful waiting". Late this fall a test indicated that although the cancer was still contained in the prostate and had not spread the indication was that it is aggressive. I've been through all the test with the oncologist and am waiting to decide what kind of surgery is best for me. I see a surgeon on the 06 May ... doomsday.
It's a very stressful time but in the end ... what can one do?

Take care of yourself tanuki-san ... and do some research. At this point that's all you can do.
I hope this goes well for you.
hi sharky im sorry to hear of your health issues I hope they get it all out ok, I've heard good things about the cyber knife surgery supposed to be less invasive from what I've heard, good luck im sending a prayer your way BB

Thank you bb. Providing the surgeon agrees I have decided on HDR rather LDR Brachytherapy.
Both surgically implant radioactive 'seeds' (LDR-low dose that act over time)
or implanting radioactive 'pellets' (HDR- high dose that are much stronger but act over a much shorter time)
LDR requires a hospital stay of 1 to 3 days.
HDR ... you go home once the aesthetic wears off.
If you recall I have a lot of house plants (at present just under 200).
Imagine after 3 days what state they'd be in.
Thanks for your prayers.
((( bb )))

Last edited:
Thank you bb. Providing the surgeon agrees I have decided on HDR rather LDR Brachytherapy.
Both surgically implant radioactive 'seeds' (LDR-low dose that act over time)
or implanting radioactive 'pellets' (HDR- that are much stronger but act over a much shorter time)
LDR requires a hospital stay of 1 to 3 days.
HDR ... you go home once the aesthetic wears off.
If you recall I have a lot of house plants (at present just under 200).
Imagine after 3 days what state they'd be in.
Thanks for your prayers.
((( bb )))
you melt enough snow for water till next winter see I didnt forget 😀

indeed ... I have about 240 litres (snow) but will need rain in the fall to refill them.
:)

Hey Brothers,

Hey man, I hope you’re feeling better by taking the antibiotic. Hopefully this will take care of it. Keep us posted, as this can be very stressful and the unknown (scary).
But, I’m a cancer survivor! 13 years now.
So if you ever have any questions, please feel free to PM. Take care!

@Shyshark, wishing you the best as you go through this process. My father had the same procedure done (radiation seeds).
He had done at 70 and lived to be 91. It is a very curable cancer. Take care!!
PS that’s cool that you are a plant freak! lol!