Overwhelmed By Latest Disclosure

Overwhelmed By Latest Disclosure

PerseidDreams

Registrant
Struggling here. I’ve gone through emotional whiplash the last few weeks. My husband said he no longer wanted to be married to me last month. I was blindsided. A week later I became the first person he disclosed his CSA to. The week in between finding out he was ice cold to me. I had no context as to why he wanted the marriage to end. Just said he lost the spark. I was distraught, thrown into deep grief, confused and heartbroken. I also felt so fucking sad for his pain and suffering he has carried his whole life when I found out.

He has since opened up that he actually had made plans that he was going to end his life that week. Distancing himself from me was part of that plan.

Since his molestation was male to male I suspected some of his distancing may have been related to confusion around sexuality. I’ve been so focused on the impacts of his CSA and have read Allies In Healing and Victims No More.

He shared that the intrusive thoughts continue but he is getting a lot out of therapy. Not only was he molested as a young child, but he was also beaten while three of his female friends were raped in his teenage years. Many of his flashbacks have been sounds from this event.

Today he shared he has struggled with attraction to teenagers. Older ones but in my mind that’s a very moot point. He also has had rape fantasies. Honestly even typing this is overwhelming. I was trying to be compassionate and just listen since I’m a safe place to share, but I was ill prepared for that revelation. I felt my stomach drop.

We are currently separated (a decision a week after CSA disclosure as he wanted distance and expressing not wanting to be married). He said today he actually does want and see us together after all this. He expresses he knows my feelings toward working on being together may change or could have changed. That said, he would like to work toward an us if I’m willing.

I honestly have no idea what I feel now. These last few weeks have been absolute hell. I’m not discounting the bravery and courage he has shown facing this. His willingness to seek therapy and supports. He wants to heal and I want that for him.

I just don’t know how I recover from the blindside and all of these details I can’t unknow. He says he obviously knows he is a good person and would never ever act on the thoughts. He hates himself for having the thoughts and that’s why he wanted to end his life.

I also don’t feel I could tell him that this latest revelation has thrown me for a loop. I don’t want to add to his shame and his therapist has explained these thoughts can happen due to the trauma.

Anyways I’m just super overwhelmed. Together 20 years. I absolutely have loved and love this person. However, now I’m questioning everything. What if those thoughts never go away from him? What stops a mind from not acting upon them? It’s just scared me.

He has always been a joyful, kind and hilarious soul. I know he is hurting. I’m at a loss. I am going to therapy and focusing on myself. However, for 20 years my life has been intertwined with this person so there can’t not be an impact.

What if those thoughts never go away from him? What stops a mind from not acting upon them? It’s just scared me.
I have very persistent and potent intrusive thoughts kind of like what people with OCD experience. I have a pincushion on my bedside table (I was/am teaching myself to sew). Most times I see it I get an intrusive thought of
Slamming my eyes into it
yet I don't. Most times I hold a section of my hair that I'm growing out like in a ponytail, I get an intrusive thought to get scissors and cut it off. I have previously had intrusive thoughts and compulsions of a sexual nature (far and away the worst kind naturally) though not towards children (save a same age late teen once a few years ago). Sometimes it can happen just walking through the grocery store. I have little to no expectation of these to disappear in their entirety sometime in my life, and yet I can say with full confidence that they will stay compulsive thoughts and never actions. Even if I have to take a sidestep action (that harms no one save maybe myself minorly for the truly abominable ones), the compulsion stays as just that. Because intrusive thoughts and compulsions are anti-egoistic, meaning specifically contrary to your morals and values. They're supposed to be horrible things you would never do normally.

My point in all this is to say even if such thoughts never do go away (which in this case specifically I don't think will be the case) like mine aren't going to, what keeps a mind from acting upon them? As it turns out the answer is quite a lot of things, and the entire rest of the mind. It is not easy, it is not pleasant, it can feel torturous, but I have full confidence it is possible for your husband to have them for the rest of his life and him still to never act upon them.

Controversial though it may be, I say that too much I think we demonize anyone with an inkling of attraction towards children and refuse to do anything to help them. I think this is what leads to the horrid statistics about how many of those people act on those attractions. I think all those who didn't simply die quietly and are added to the male suicide rate statistic. In other words, survivorship bias. But that's merely my musings, as it stands many survivors here have a very hard time coming to grips with the effects of their trauma causing awful intrusive thoughts and "attractions" (in quotes as I don't qualify it as a "natural" attraction but rather a traumagenic simulacrum).

I know that likely doesn't make it all that much easier to bear, but I hope that my words help understand the answer to at least one question you have.

I also don’t feel I could tell him that this latest revelation has thrown me for a loop. I don’t want to add to his shame and his therapist has explained these thoughts can happen due to the trauma.

Anyways I’m just super overwhelmed. Together 20 years. I absolutely have loved and love this person. However, now I’m questioning everything. What if those thoughts never go away from him? What stops a mind from not acting upon them? It’s just scared me.
I'm sorry this has happened to you both. If you two are going to move forward together honest communication about difficult and painful subjects like those above is critical. If you are trying to protect him from your feelings and fears while he is trying to protect you from his (which he almost surely is and has been for a very long time) you will never be able to build the trust necessary for a loving supportive, relationship.

The truth is this won't be easy at all. Your husband's behavior appears erratic and very self-centered, perhaps understandably so but that still puts an enormous weight on you and can be very painful as you have already found out. If your husband can actually accept a loving partner into his life right now and you believe you might be able to be that for him then there's a lot of hard work ahead but a lot of joy, too, if it works. What surely won't work, however, is you setting aside your feelings and needs to be a martyr to his cause. That will damage both of you. There is no shame in stepping away if that's what you need to do, but please do it honestly and as lovingly as you can if it comes to that.

I wish you both a bright future!

I'm sorry this has happened to you both. If you two are going to move forward together honest communication about difficult and painful subjects like those above is critical. If you are trying to protect him from your feelings and fears while he is trying to protect you from his (which he almost surely is and has been for a very long time) you will never be able to build the trust necessary for a loving supportive, relationship.

The truth is this won't be easy at all. Your husband's behavior appears erratic and very self-centered, perhaps understandably so but that still puts an enormous weight on you and can be very painful as you have already found out. If your husband can actually accept a loving partner into his life right now and you believe you might be able to be that for him then there's a lot of hard work ahead but a lot of joy, too, if it works. What surely won't work, however, is you setting aside your feelings and needs to be a martyr to his cause. That will damage both of you. There is no shame in stepping away if that's what you need to do, but please do it honestly and as lovingly as you can if it comes to that.

I wish you both a bright future!
Thank you for this. I agree with having honesty and all cards on the table. It really is the only way. I should clarify that in this moment and his level of suicidal ideation with a lot of that stemming specifically from those thoughts I didn’t want to immediately jump in with an emotional reaction as soon as he shared. I did feel I was having an emotional reaction in the moment inside and I try never to communicate from a heightened place. I’m trying to remain a safe non judgemental place as this is very new territory for him. I rather process what he shared in my own therapy before having the conversation. More so venting as aside from therapy I can’t share with anyone in my circle the intricacies of why we are separated. Adds another layer to going through this. I don’t think he can be a loving partner right now. He knows this as well. He sees it in the future, but there is much healing to do. I’m not sure what I want now either, which I suppose the confusion makes a lot of sense when the rug gets pulled. Much to process, but luckily I have a well informed T who is going to be making some serious bank in the coming months from me haha 😅

@PerseidDreams - your post brought some really heavy memories for me... When I could no longer contain the horror show of my past I too told my wife that I wanted out... no explanations... I was just done. The things she had to tell me that I said to her were very hurtful. I completely believe her, but I still have no actual memory of saying anything. This happened around the holidays in 2009 which were particularly rough times for me (and still are).

I'm getting lost in my own thoughts, so I'll just stop here. I just wanted you to know how very sorry I am for what you're currently going through. I hope the best for you and your husband too. Therapy is a good avenue and I'm happy to see you're both utilizing that resource. Take gentle care.

Silly

I have very persistent and potent intrusive thoughts kind of like what people with OCD experience. I have a pincushion on my bedside table (I was/am teaching myself to sew). Most times I see it I get an intrusive thought of
Slamming my eyes into it
yet I don't. Most times I hold a section of my hair that I'm growing out like in a ponytail, I get an intrusive thought to get scissors and cut it off. I have previously had intrusive thoughts and compulsions of a sexual nature (far and away the worst kind naturally) though not towards children (save a same age late teen once a few years ago). Sometimes it can happen just walking through the grocery store. I have little to no expectation of these to disappear in their entirety sometime in my life, and yet I can say with full confidence that they will stay compulsive thoughts and never actions. Even if I have to take a sidestep action (that harms no one save maybe myself minorly for the truly abominable ones), the compulsion stays as just that. Because intrusive thoughts and compulsions are anti-egoistic, meaning specifically contrary to your morals and values. They're supposed to be horrible things you would never do normally.

My point in all this is to say even if such thoughts never do go away (which in this case specifically I don't think will be the case) like mine aren't going to, what keeps a mind from acting upon them? As it turns out the answer is quite a lot of things, and the entire rest of the mind. It is not easy, it is not pleasant, it can feel torturous, but I have full confidence it is possible for your husband to have them for the rest of his life and him still to never act upon them.

Controversial though it may be, I say that too much I think we demonize anyone with an inkling of attraction towards children and refuse to do anything to help them. I think this is what leads to the horrid statistics about how many of those people act on those attractions. I think all those who didn't simply die quietly and are added to the male suicide rate statistic. In other words, survivorship bias. But that's merely my musings, as it stands many survivors here have a very hard time coming to grips with the effects of their trauma causing awful intrusive thoughts and "attractions" (in quotes as I don't qualify it as a "natural" attraction but rather a traumagenic simulacrum).

I know that likely doesn't make it all that much easier to bear, but I hope that my words help understand the answer to at least one question you have.
Thank you very much for sharing. It’s all so complex and the ripple of impact for all parties is devastating. It’s early days for me in this space so just processing one day at a time.

@PerseidDreams - your post brought some really heavy memories for me... When I could no longer contain the horror show of my past I too told my wife that I wanted out... no explanations... I was just done. The things she had to tell me that I said to her were very hurtful. I completely believe her, but I still have no actual memory of saying anything. This happened around the holidays in 2009 which were particularly rough times for me (and still are).

I'm getting lost in my own thoughts, so I'll just stop here. I just wanted you to know how very sorry I am for what you're currently going through. I hope the best for you and your husband too. Therapy is a good avenue and I'm happy to see you're both utilizing that resource. Take gentle care.

Silly
Thank you for sharing. This community has definitely been a saving grace for me in these early weeks. At the very least I feel less alone, although that has a sadness in its right. I’m very appreciative of people sharing their stories as it’s helped broaden my understanding. Doing my best to operate from a compassionate space while also staying true to my needs.

Thank you very much for sharing. It’s all so complex and the ripple of impact for all parties is devastating. It’s early days for me in this space so just processing one day at a time.
Oh yeah 100% glad you at least didn't get no beneficial thoughts from that. I was highly considering deleting it soon after I posted it in fear it would do more harm than good, or seem like I was defending offenders or something.

So sorry you r going thru this. My husband of almost 22 years, disclosed to me a little over 2 years ago about his CSA. It has been hard on our marriage. We both know we r here for each other. We r each seeing our own therapist to help w healing. Plus we r going to a therapist to work on our marriage. We r working on ways to communicate thru all of this.

Wow, @PerseidDreams. There is a lot for you to take in and process. The guys have already said so much that is true and helpful. You can’t ignore your own needs, and I’m very glad you have a therapist to talk to. I believe he and your relationship is worth saving if that’s what you both want. I’m sorry it feels like you can’t be honest with others about your separation - but I admire you loving and respecting him in that, since disclosure of sexual abuse should be his to tell. Still… it has and will really affect you, and it doesn’t seem fair you can’t talk to others about things.

It felt to me, reading this, that you all are in such a delicate dance together. It sounds like he has pulled away and I do understand that response. Yet, what he needs most is the opposite. And in some ways maybe you need that too: the normalcy and support and commitment that has been there can provide a lot of stabilizing to things. Patience and not making sudden decisions is probably wise too.

The details of what he lives with are hard to hear. Hearing them can’t help but bring up fears of who he is and what he might do, like you said. However, like @Tableau in Stasis said - if he hasn’t acted on those thoughts, he likely won’t. As he dives into therapy over the long haul, those thoughts and feelings should decrease. Additionally, hearing of your spouse’s attraction to someone else - it doesn’t matter who - can certainly bring up thoughts that you aren’t enough, or that there is something wrong with you. Please hear me… that connection is not true at all. There is a definite distinction in most survivors’ minds between how they feel and love and are attracted to their spouse vs. all this leftover CSA crap. They are not the same.

I recently expressed what I have learned to be some of the mechanisms at work in the intrusive thoughts and other acting out behaviors. I don’t know if it will help but might be worth a read? https://forum.malesurvivor.org/threads/factors-that-drive-trauma-reenactment-behavior.88863/

Most of all, I hope for you all as you start walking this together. Kudos for reaching out here. Please keep doing so as needed.