Uniform

Uniform

Darren White

Staff member
A little explanation of this poem is needed.

This is about the little boy (I changed his name) with whom I was together the entire eight years of captivity. I've written a number of small poems about him, some also on the poetry forum here. When I have written enough poems, I intend to publish them. Anyway, here goes.

Uniform

jonas tastes grass with his toes
dips a tongue in rain-filled flowers
observes, on haunches, ants
marching in military convoy
giggles when they climb his legs

he has outgrown his pants
held together by wire
now wears my leotard
too big for him, wrinkled
like an old man

Even in the midst of horror the simple things of life continue, especially for children. It is very sad and hopeful at once.

Can I ask what happened to Jonas?

@Darren White, I see the simple innocence’s of a child, gives me a smile. But, the life he lives makes me cry. Thanks for sharing! LRD
Even in the midst of horror the simple things of life continue, especially for children. It is very sad and hopeful at once.
Thank you, both. Yes, as children we find means to play anywhere and everywhere, in the midst of misery

Can I ask what happened to Jonas?
18 months later I suddenly found your question, I had completely missed it!

Jonas is still my friend, we are corresponding. His life isn't easy, as expected. But he has finished school, and wants to enroll in University :)

18 months later I suddenly found your question, I had completely missed it!
Such is the digital world! 🤣

I'm am very happy that Jonas is building a life for himself even though I'm sure it's been difficult.

I have high hopes for both of you!!