Time Magazine - America Has Been Going About Stopping Child Sex Abuse The Wrong Way

Time Magazine - America Has Been Going About Stopping Child Sex Abuse The Wrong Way

tanuki-san

Registrant
I read this while I was up last night. Good article. I was surprised by the lower incidence of sexual abuse quoted in the article than is typically stated. I looked at the source link and understand - they usd averaged worldwide numbers and although the source research article noted the issues they found with methods of reporting of abuse, the Time article did not.

As for the general article itself, I thought it was good. And slightly hopeful, in terms of a possible shift in the US to helping kids who were abused and re-enact on other kids. I thought it was interesting the author felt it was necessary to state the man they talked to who had offended at age 10 (and was incarcerated) was not lacking responsibility for what he did when he was 10. Was he responsible at that age? Rather, I think the author was (rightly) trying to be sensitive to readers who were victimized by older children - because the terror was still real, and the impact and consequences on them no less - even though their perpetrator was another child..

I think the direction this article was pointing is very good but unfortunately in some locations the laws are going the other direction, calling for very harsh punishments for crimes of CSA instead of treatment.