Singing at Funerals

Singing at Funerals

Ryan15

Member, Male
I have received requests to sing at funerals. It all started when I sang "Amazing Grace" at a high school performance. First, my grandpa asked me to sing that same song at his funeral, (which, unfortunately, I was unable to attend.) However, I did sing that song at my brother's funeral for both him and my grandpa.

After singing at my brother's funeral, I was then asked by a friend to sing at her funeral--which I did sing a different song three years later. My dad, (whose funeral is tomorrow, June 16), requested I sing "Amazing Grace" at his, and another friend also asked me to sing a song at his funeral. Fortunately, he is still living. Then just yesterday, I got asked to sing a specific song at her funeral.

While I am honored to be asked such a request,, I do not consider myself to be that good of a singer. Why would people be asking me to sing at their funerals? Why do I not get asked to sing at other occasions, such as weddings?

TW16

I have a similar issue Tw
I think that it is your presence that is desired more than what you offer. the song is very special don't take me wrong. But to have you be willing to go out of your way, to stand and sing in front of a group of people knowing perhaps that it is not in your comfort zone is a pretty huge thing. and you are a pretty special guy to do it. I think that things may expand, they did for me but it is not just a natural progression " hey remember that guy who sang ant the funeral... let's have him sing at the wedding" within families it is a bit different but you get the point. also don't discount the quality of your voice. our voice inside our head is very much different than what is on the outside. it normally freaks people out for a while when they hear themself on recording or through an amp... the sound is just so different.

Sorry for the delay. My dad's funeral was last Wednesday, and my song went well. However, I did mess up near the end, but apparently nobody noticed as nothing was mentioned about it. I just wanted to update you on that.

TW16

TW your voice and as Newground said your presence certainly must have a calming peace others reach out to you for at the time of greatest loss. It’s obviously a peace and comfort to those who see their life fading to know you will bring the peace they found in your prior performances to those they leave behind at that time. And probably, just as “regulars” have no clue the turmoils and trials of survivors those who ask do not have any way of knowing your internal conflict. You have a gift - try to find see the gift you give others when you are asked. As to weddings - most wedding service singers I am familiar with often sing in church services first…maybe that is the key pathway there and at least in this rural area volunteering a few times will result usually in lots of asks for churches.

There was a funeral yesterday for a dear friend's sister who died following a long illness. My friend has been member of a chorus for many years and some of her friends from that group sang at the service. It was very moving for my friend, with whom I spoke this morning. Regardless of how you feel about your singing voice, it is clear folks who listen to you are touched in a way that leads them to want you to sing when the occasion calls for it. If you're able to do so, it is a gift you give these folks. All the best to you.