A journey of a thousand miles----

A journey of a thousand miles----

Leosha

Registrant
begins with a single step. Who says or writes that? I like it, it just comes in my mind today, and I do not remember where I hear of it! Also, TheDean, thank you for your quote. That makes me think so much, and I even post it at other forum I go at, it has so much meaning to me. Thank you.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
--Lao Tzu (Chinese Taoist Philosopher. 600 BC)

It's a Chinese proverb attributed to Lao-tzu a 6th century (B.C.) Chinese philosopher.

Another on I like is "Recognizing ones own faults is not difficult; correcting them is difficult."

I also like "It does not matter the size of steps I take, as long as I face the right direction". I think that is a Native American quote.

I don't know where it comes from, but it was my high school class motto and it has pretty much become my life's motto as well. For I was paralyzed back in 1991 and had to work at taking steps again and to me at that time, it was like a thousand miles that I had to walk, but I could only take one step at a time. It matches life in so many ways and my life in particular.

Don

A city near me has as it's motto ( in latin which I can't remember ) "Out of darkness, cometh light."

Which I always remembered from when I was a kid, and I like it.

Dave

Lloydy, that is same thing I think, when I pick the picture symbol I pick today. Because right now, so much is dark, but I wish to think there is light beyond it still. Thank you for giving me those words!

Some sayings I found helpful were:

People believe some of what you say BUT
everything of what you do!

Tell me what you CAN do not what you can't!

The main thing is to keep the Main Thing, the
main thing!

If it's not part of your solution then it's
part of your PROBLEM!!

I have a learning disabiilty (ADD) and remember phrases but, with paragraphs...forget it!!

This is a terriffic thread! Thanks to all those sharing...phrases mean a lot to me!

Howard

'Go within every day and find the inner strength so that the world will not blow your candle out' (Katherine Dunham)

'Reality is something you rise above' (do not know where this comes from)

'Your mind will be like it's habitual thoughts: for the soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts' (Marcus Aurelius)

'We are not troubled by things, but by the opinions which we have of things.' (Epictetus---I do not know I agree with this one, but I do like to read of the stoic philosophers)

'What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us' (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

'It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not' (Andre Gide)

'We learn wisdom from failure much more than from success; we often discover what will do by finding out what will not do; and probably he who never made a mistake never made a discovery' (Samuel Smiles)

'Truly, it is in the darkness that one finds the light, so when we are in sorrow, then this light is nearest of all to us' (Meister Eckhart)

'Be glad you can suffer, be glad you can feel...How can you tell if you're feeling good unless you've felt bad, so you have something to compare it with?' (Thomas Tryon---again, not so sure I believe this fully, but it is a quote of interest to me)

'When the heart weeps for what it has lost, the spirit laughs for what it has found' (I do not know where this is from)

Finally---

'In three words I can sum up everything I have learned of life: It goes on' (Robert Frost)

I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.
--Harry S. Truman, former U.S.A. President

You Can't Handle The Truth!
--Col. Nathan R. Jessup (Jack Nicholson) "A Few Good Men" (movie)

Lying makes a problem part of the future; truth makes a problem part of the past.
--Rick Pitino, Louisville U basketball coach

Victor