Confidence Lost

Confidence Lost
Before my life came crashing down I held a high confidence in my abilities and skills professionally. After, I’ve lost good jobs and again today I’m dealing with the same. I have been tasked to fulfill a few expectations otherwise I will be let go. One of them is delivering a presentation which I use to be able to anytime. The amount of anxiety this producing is mind numbing. I have to produce the slides and deliver to a worldwide audience. I’m petrified.

Does anyone have any ideas on how they dealt and overcame this kind of challenge. I must say I’ve done pretty well with the other deliverables Within the PIP. This one though is kicking my ass.

In my experience we begin to move past seemingly intractable fear by acknowledging it's presence as you just did. Take a deep breath my friend and take action... the simple steps you know how to do. I'm faced with a much smaller challenge but it immobilized me much of last week. I turn 78 the end of this month and have to take a written driver's test and eye exam to have my driver's license renewed. I'm a former manager of a complex organization, an expert in a number of fields who is overwhelmed by how far one must be from a fire station when parking or how fast one drives while passing a bus or trolley stop. I'm supposed to have my shit together but suddenly I'm petrified. Two days ago I admitted my fear at a 12 Step meeting. It was embarrassing to admit my anxiety to a room full of people who've witnessed my erudition. But no one laughed. In fact a couple of people commiserated, having had the same fear. One woman asked to speak with me afterwards telling me of her experience. Later that day I did exactly what I know how to do. I picked up the driver's manual and began taking notes. I committed to spend an hour a day with the manual until I take the test next Wednesday. Am I smart enough to master this? Hell yes. They don't give away graduate degrees and I have one of those.

So you can do this, one step at the time, one breath at a time. Yes, doing healing work around trauma can be destabilizing but we can step back from it to take care of business. Be gentle with yourself AND apply yourself. This is one way you can take care of yourself. And you'll never be alone with any of it. We have your back.

I agree with Visitor. There is a mindfulness exercise that may help. I have used it for years and it works well for me.

It goes like this. Sit comfortably in a chair (this can be done standing up but I find that harder to concentrate) close your eyes and concentrate only on your breathing. Take a slow deep, deep breath through your nose. Concentrate on the cool air coming in. Hold it for a few seconds and then let it out, slowly, through your mouth. Notice the warm air as it escapes. This is used for 10-20 repetitions.

Your mind WILL wander. When it does, acknowledge the thought and put it aside and concentrate on your breathing. It gets easier with time.

I agree with Visitor. There is a mindfulness exercise that may help. I have used it for years and it works well for me.

It goes like this. Sit comfortably in a chair (this can be done standing up but I find that harder to concentrate) close your eyes and concentrate only on your breathing. Take a slow deep, deep breath through your nose. Concentrate on the cool air coming in. Hold it for a few seconds and then let it out, slowly, through your mouth. Notice the warm air as it escapes. This is used for 10-20 repetitions.

Your mind WILL wander. When it does, acknowledge the thought and put it aside and concentrate on your breathing. It gets easier with time.
Thank you for words

Louis

In my experience we begin to move past seemingly intractable fear by acknowledging it's presence as you just did. Take a deep breath my friend and take action... the simple steps you know how to do. I'm faced with a much smaller challenge but it immobilized me much of last week. I turn 78 the end of this month and have to take a written driver's test and eye exam to have my driver's license renewed. I'm a former manager of a complex organization, an expert in a number of fields who is overwhelmed by how far one must be from a fire station when parking or how fast one drives while passing a bus or trolley stop. I'm supposed to have my shit together but suddenly I'm petrified. Two days ago I admitted my fear at a 12 Step meeting. It was embarrassing to admit my anxiety to a room full of people who've witnessed my erudition. But no one laughed. In fact a couple of people commiserated, having had the same fear. One woman asked to speak with me afterwards telling me of her experience. Later that day I did exactly what I know how to do. I picked up the driver's manual and began taking notes. I committed to spend an hour a day with the manual until I take the test next Wednesday. Am I smart enough to master this? Hell yes. They don't give away graduate degrees and I have one of those.

So you can do this, one step at the time, one breath at a time. Yes, doing healing work around trauma can be destabilizing but we can step back from it to take care of business. Be gentle with yourself AND apply yourself. This is one way you can take care of yourself. And you'll never be alone with any of it. We have your back.
Thank you for your encouraging words