WSJ supports scout abuse

Youngtrumpet

Registrant
I can’t get it without a subscription. Are they saying we are making up the abuse cases because the lawyers were so good at marketing lawsuits?

manipulated

Staff member
It condemns the claimants for forcing BSA into bankruptcy and blames ambulance chasing attorneys great marketing programs for creating claims basically. Talk about trouncing is and insulting us! Where are investigative reporters looking at the details of what we have experienced? The editorial board must be scout alums and or pedophile supporters.

Youngtrumpet

Registrant
Sadly we know how this works. As a child I was made to be shamed if I disclosed anything because how dare I say something bad about these great people (puke). The abuse continues. I don’t think it will ever stop.

Last edited:

Unexpected

Registrant
Unfortunately, media has moved into an age where there no longer is true investigative reporting. In fact, it is almost impossible to discern any "facts" about anything from media coverage. The best one can do is understand the nuts and bolts of a field or subject, and try to figure out situations and issues on one's own from data derived from any number of sources, including one's own known social media contacts. From this WSJ article, I can't figure out much of anything of "truth" - what it reports is that a certain legal system gear grinding has gone into play, with all the predictable players in the system looking to make their money and their fame from a documentable, real social/societal problem. Like it or not, our judicial system simply cannot and does not create justice in so many areas, anymore - rather it churns out predictable "solutions" so problems "get solved" - in other words, "something" happens that is called "justice" and the world moves on. I apologize if this sounds overly cynical, but growing up as a trial lawyer's daughter, and then becoming a lawyer myself, I have seen both law, the courts and media coverage morph over 50 years from something sensible into something undefinable.

Unfortunately, media has moved into an age where there no longer is true investigative reporting. In fact, it is almost impossible to discern any "facts" about anything from media coverage. The best one can do is understand the nuts and bolts of a field or subject, and try to figure out situations and issues on one's own from data derived from any number of sources, including one's own known social media contacts. From this WSJ article, I can't figure out much of anything of "truth" - what it reports is that a certain legal system gear grinding has gone into play, with all the predictable players in the system looking to make their money and their fame from a documentable, real social/societal problem. Like it or not, our judicial system simply cannot and does not create justice in so many areas, anymore - rather it churns out predictable "solutions" so problems "get solved" - in other words, "something" happens that is called "justice" and the world moves on. I apologize if this sounds overly cynical, but growing up as a trial lawyer's daughter, and then becoming a lawyer myself, I have seen both law, the courts and media coverage morph over 50 years from something sensible into something undefinable.
Sounds cynical to me. Then again, it is, to me, true.

I couldn't read it all, but once again the criminals seem to be blaming the victims.

Unexpected

Registrant
I agree that the slant in the article gives "credibility" to the system/abusers at the expense of discussing the legitimate claims that survivors have. It is focused on how claims have proliferated, and created an "unfair" environment for the Boy Scouts. A piece honestly done would have focused on survivor's legitimate claims, and how the workings of the current American legal system are burying the possibility that survivors will get justice from that system. The piece instead focuses on how people may be creating false claims, or putting in claims without any evidentiary basis, to enrich themselves and plaintiffs' lawyers. This is an attack piece on plaintiffs' lawyers, using Boy Scout survivors as a tool to demonstrate the "evil" of class action plaintiffs' practice. And yes, this attack piece does harm to the public face of legitimacy that survivors of Boy Scout abuse deserve. A good letter to the editor would unpack what this piece does and make the point that survivors need to be supported by the legal system if they are to get the kind of societal, not to mention legal, support that they deserve.

The Bluefoot

Registrant
The ads got to me I had enough of earning them on TV, radio and seeing them where ever I drove or even on my computer. My son convinced me that maybe I could get some mental relief from my sufferings all them years if I could get some closure in life,. So I used, made a claim last September 2020. I told the intervener on the phone I did not want money, I wanted justice. The Scoutmaster who Abused me and 11 others scouts watch us for 2 years ( trigger warning) play with in each under his direction under fear of losing our leadership jobs , or ranks. Often taking the SPL into his Bedroom for 1 hour of nap time. and Even I in the end had to go on my knees to thank him for get the Scout of the Year away and making JASM, at age 16 ruining some form of sexual enjoyment for the rest of my life. What I wanted was acknowledgment this happened, I am sorry, why did he do it and his name removed for all the award named after him. instead I was told all I can get is Money. And they don't know how much instead. Then Asked me how much I have spent in therapy since this has happened to me I told them in co-ops, hospital stays, and 3 attempted suicides About $276,000. Not to mention, the mental stress on my parents Who did not know why I was acting like things since I told no one.

These law firms just doing this marketing to gain all the money and pay out some money to the victims with out feels, with remorse, this is not what we want or what I want. This is bad marketing. I have a degree in marketing and child psychology. This helps nobody.

Ultimately, healing will come through work here an in therapy not through a legal process... though bringing this organization to its knees is worthwhile. It is only when the pain these organizations is high enough that those in power will conclude they need to do something about treatment of boys and girls now being used for the pleasure of others. We witness how long it is taking the Catholic Church and understand change happens slowly. Admitting culpability is painful for those who celebrate their righteousness... churches, schools and service organizations like BSA.