Would like to start a support group in Westchester and Putnam County New York

Sounds like a plan. I know that pancakes will work out. So at least you're starting off great.

I started a 12 Step group that focuses on childhood trauma and its impact that met in-person for about six months before COVID hit. The meeting like other meetings in our local fellowship moved to ZOOM. We'd been having five people at the in-person meeting but gradually the ZOOM meeting grew. We now generally have 20 people attending and they come from all over the United States. It is a powerful meeting because we acknowledge there is trauma in the room. We seldom have shares that speak about the details of trauma, but folks generally mention the form of trauma they are dealing with.

Members concluded that this meeting will remain virtual even after in-person meetings resume. I mention this simply to say meeting virtually can be wonderful. Yes, in-person meetings are the gold standard, but when participants are spread not only all over the country, but around the world, a virtual meeting can be a fine alternative. Granted, any meeting that allows us to see one another and meet in real time, diminishes anonymity. Personally, I don't feel vulnerable to potential perpetrators but I know some folks are sensitive to this possibility. We witnessed that on MS and a few people have been banned.

I wish you well in getting a face to face meeting up and running. I'd love to be there with you, but it isn't going to happen. I don't honestly think a hybrid meeting is the route to go... there are technical challenges to overcome and I doubt the experience in the room would be optimal with participants online observing and sharing... we've been discussing such things in our 12 Step fellowship and very few meetings are considering that option. This is all grist for the mill.

The Bluefoot

Registrant
Thank you vistor for your impute. I real want an in person group to start with. We are aiming for the Hartford area, since Mac80 has a few people who are coming from Boston and RI area. Once that group is up and running well I will start an other one in Westchester county NY as well. I have started groups before with people with Klinefelter Syndrome. As I run my own national Org called KEST since 1999. If we can add zoom we will if not we stay in person.

Please understand, I support what you guys are trying to do without hesitation. Were I in the area I'd certainly join you. Let's see how this works for you guys. If anyone else wants to attempt to do a virtual meeting that is fine as well. Personally, I'm not at that point myself. If that changes I might.

Keep up the great work. It would be nice if you'd report back to MS in some fashion... you might inspire others to take an initiative. Good luck!

We'd been having five people at the in-person meeting but gradually the ZOOM meeting grew. We now generally have 20 people attending and they come from all over the United States...I don't honestly think a hybrid meeting is the route to go... there are technical challenges to overcome and I doubt the experience in the room would be optimal with participants online observing and sharing...

While I agree with what Visitor had just mentioned and I would be sad that he couldn't be included. But yeah, in-person meetings are the gold standard. I guess I'll wait around and see what happens. But travel time is a big deal for me. I really hope that you can get this thing up and running.

The Bluefoot

Registrant
After my meeting yesterday with Mac80 and the message a got from a member who lives near Boston who feel we should start the greoup in NY state first and not gear it towards him. We have decided to start our first Group in Westchester County. I will let the group know by this week if I found a place and where. We are also aiming to start in August.

The Bluefoot

Registrant
I have placed a few calls into churches and hospital to get a room for once a month meeting for 2 to 3 hours. I am waiting back to hear from the places. I will ;et everyone one know when I do. The areas I have looked at are New Rochelle, White Plains and Mt. Kisco. All easy to get to by Highways and all easy parking. Planning to have an other meeting with Mac80 today.

The Bluefoot

Registrant
I am one step closer to have a support group ready for us in southern NY. Me and Mac80 have ask a local church in New Rochelle for a room and I hope with in the next 2 weeks to have an answers. If we get our request it will be near a highway and lots of free parking, in a quiet safe neighborhood. Well keep everyone up dated.