Would like to start a support group in Westchester and Putnam County New York

The Bluefoot

Registrant
Would like to start a support group in Westchester and Putnam County New York. Would like it to be in person or on Zoom meeting every other week or every week. For gay or Bi male CSA. I need help setting one up. I need a free location, which is quiet and safe.

This is an awesome idea Man, but I think you should inlude Litchfield and Fairfield counties lol. I bet I could find a place to use in New Milford, CT

Another friend and I are always talking about setting up a support group between us. He lives about 3 hours east. quick drive for you to hartford, what you say? It is a dream of his and mine

I know a church in Hartford that would take us.

The Bluefoot

Registrant
its a start I never turn an opportunity down. People from Westchester most likely will not come its far for them. But I come. People on the board of NY and CT will come. 1 hour people will drive more then that people will not on a weekly basics. I used to go to support groups monthly in Boston and Washington DC for KS. But I think we need 5 people to start to be good. Thou I am willing to start with 3, I think 5 for be better. Mac80 please find out if the church would take us for free and if its wheelchair accessible. I don't want to exclude anyone in the future from joining us.

I will find out man! I'm pretty sure the place I'm thinking about is accessible. As far as driving, I know what you mean, but when we were talking about it and we had this dream those of us who were talking pretty much agreed that we would all be willing to drive several hours to something like that. However, you I write that once a week would be too much. That would be hard for me to put in my schedule

However even once a month would be so cool compared to the not support group that we don't have right now.

try a local church or maybe your local govt. has a place thats either cheep or no cost to use their places i used to go to a church in westchester county for couples group meetings but cant recall which one it was many years ago, and after that we started a group in beacon ny at a idk monastary/seminary place we passed the hat and gave what we could

Hopein14

Registrant
I'm in lower new haven county Connecticut and I would be VERY Interested in a Westchester support group

Hopein14

Registrant
Or Hartford- Anywhere an hour or half away- I have hoped for one for very long time. Scares shit out of me too but that's

The Bluefoot

Registrant
OK I get the message and I and Mac80 will work on it and let everyone know we start withone maybe even get two ofthem up and running based on how many people and were everyone is.

I wish you guys well. If you decide to create a Zoom meeting please let us know. A 12 Step meeting I helped create with a focus on Childhood Trauma and Its Impact went virtual fifteen months ago and we have participants from around the United State via Zoom. I won't post a link to that since it is devoted primarily to food compulsivity and is not intended to focus on trauma. It is simply the acknowledgement that trauma affects our relationship with food... as it does with alcohol, drugs, gambling... every other addiction attended to within a 12 Step framework. What you're doing focuses on what we're talking about here... trauma, first and foremost. I wish you all well. Being able to talk with other men about these things is crucial.

What's happening with regard to the group. Has there been anything happening on it. Like where it would be held?

The Bluefoot

Registrant
We are looking for a place we don't know yet were. Mac80 is looking for a place I hope to let everyone know by the end of July. I like by the end of August to have our first meeting.

I wish you guys well. I'd love to be in the room with all of you, but alas, you're on the other side of the country. I need something in the San Francisco Bay Area... in case anyone from my neck of the woods is listening...

Hey Visitor

I think you would be a great asset to a group. I think that we would have to figure out a way to get zoom into the act. Because I don't think that I could get to Hartford, CT. It seems to be a two-hour drive but I would figure 2-1/2. That's pretty far but not terrible. It's just that it would be 5 hours on the road so it would be tough to sit in a group between coming and going. I think it would be nice to have a zoom connection also. I don't know how that would work but I'm sure we can find someone to help us out with that. I would hate to exclude anyone.

I guess we'll see how this comes together or not.

The Bluefoot

Registrant
Yes I agree, we could add zoom to it. I want to start with an in person meeting and if big enough have two one in Westchester as well. But also add zoom to one of them as well. so until other in person meet get going in other parts of the country they can join ours. I am not a tekke person I ask Mac80 if he is. other wise we find someone who is. You are right 2 1/2 hour drive each way plus sit in group for 3 hours is a lot for a day. As one of the group leaders I do it for the first few months then we see. The dream is to have 3 in person groups per state. those its a lot of work to set that up and then have a national meeting once a year that moves. each year in a different spot of the US. And I still want an annual pool party at my home starting next year.

If you're looking into having more than one group I'm sure you'll have to have a zoom piece to it also. Because I would think it would be very hard for people to travel. It wouldn't be just an 8 hour day in my case because I would have to leave early enough that if I have issues on the way that I would still have enough time to get there. In my case, I would have to be in Hartford two hours before the group would start for me to avoid a panic attack. So yeah, it's a long day.

Are we talking about one or two groups? why not concentrate on one and see if we could get that working?

The Bluefoot

Registrant
One to start and then we see what happens. I having pancake breakfast sunday morning to talk it over with Mac80 and see what we come up with. on Sunday./