Win the day

Dan99

Registrant
One of my first bosses, who i admired a lot, used to stop by my desk is i was working late and ask, "Did you win the day?" He meant, was the day a net win or a net loss; did i progress more than i was pushef back. If i said yes, his reply was "Then go home. Get out while you're ahead." If i said no, he'd say "Then go home. Save your strength for tomorrow."

I've used this little saying for more than 20 years. Generally its been very helpful, because if i work hard i win the day far more often than not. And it's a friendly, non-scientific way to give myself a little boost and not let a bad day carry over to the next day.

But for the last month or maybe more, i haven't been winning many days. Professionally, personally, and every way, it seems, I just get slapped every day with disappointment and little losses. I try very hard not to be a quitter but it seems harder to get up each day. I feel more than ever i need to change the trajectory of my life. Just stewing, but thanks for listening.

manipulated

Staff member
Sounds like you ARE winning each day but not seeing the win for the battle scars the day left? You are here. You are posting.and your posts gave me a new outlook on this day- today I could see as a setback - 7 days post partial knee Replacement and PT stopped as blood thinner and activity is making incision ooze too much - but instead I see the lack of real pain, the fact I am here and the need I have to learn to just rest for the rehab ahead as a win...thanks for adjusting my attitude in a good way.

BDD

Registrant
Dan99, I like your boss and his focus...how did YOU do?!

And you did goo in the world, you gave @manipulated a great perspective. Thank you.

I am sorry you are in a bad patch, but his advice is more important now then ever. Trust me, I can grind myself into a hole trying and trying and trying. But some times, you really do need to step back, not quit, but get some distance. Save your strength for tomorrow.