To grab the future that's mine
What ever has been before
Doesn't matter anymore

I put the bottle down for the last time
To grab the future that's mine
What ever has been before
Doesn't matter anymore
Wow, powerful poem, HL.
I can relate to that one. No whisky but vodka for me, but that's a story in itself. Thank you for this one, the closing lines in my quote show such strength.

Yes powerful Poem. Tried to find that answer at the bottom of many bottles with no luck. I have been on a sober journey for many years now, glad you are as well. Thanks for sharing my friend

Powerful poem HL.. I say as I sip a glass of mediocre burgundy wine. Alcohol can take us away from what feels overwhelming... as do drugs and a thousand other distractions. We're here to try something else... telling the truth... feeling the pain. Poetry does that beautifully. Thanks for this.

No more wine for me. Time for bed.

Wow, powerful poem, HL.
I can relate to that one. No whisky but vodka for me, but that's a story in itself. Thank you for this one, the closing lines in my quote show such strength.

Thanks very much Darren.
I thought maybe some people would relate , I'm sure it is a story in itself. I wish you well in your healing journey

Yes powerful Poem. Tried to find that answer at the bottom of many bottles with no luck. I have been on a sober journey for many years now, glad you are as well. Thanks for sharing my friend
Thanks very much my friend , I'm glad I'm on the sober journey. Nowadays I don't drink fizzy drinks I use those to replace having a beer or something

Powerful poem HL.. I say as I sip a glass of mediocre burgundy wine. Alcohol can take us away from what feels overwhelming... as do drugs and a thousand other distractions. We're here to try something else... telling the truth... feeling the pain. Poetry does that beautifully. Thanks for this.

No more wine for me. Time for bed.
Thanks for your post. I remain in battle with those distractions. It can seem alluring to get rid of the over whelming feelings and thoughts. But I have to remind myself I'd be exchanging it for regrets which the poem does. Your right were here to try something else I appreciate your post

Wishing you all peace in your healing journeys

HL

This poem really spoke to me about my own instance with whiskey and trying to forget. A few Christmases ago, I got triggered really hard related to what happened in my early teen years after seeing a TV show caused a flashback, at the time I wasn't dealing with anything, everything was bottled up and came out at once... I grabbed a bottle of Whiskey and drank it all, then opened a second... I was so down I just wanted everything to stop, so I could forget as I got hit with flashbacks and memories. I remember calling people that I knew cared about me and telling them thank you for everything and drinking from the bottle. To this day they just think I was very drunk, only one knew I was in real pain, I think I might have even told a few of them what happened.

The next thing I remember is crying in the shower, my elderly father trying to wash me off with cold water while I kept vomiting, after he heard me passout and chocking on my vomit he dragged me downstairs... I remember not wanting to tell him why... I blamed it on something related to travel, I didn't want him to know that what happened me as a child that he knew about, happened me again as a teenager at the hands of someone I trusted. My dad isn't a doctor but he knew what to do, he forced me to stay awake chug salty water warm water and throw up all the alcohol.

I woke up the next morning on the sofa still vomiting, only remembering bits of things... and kind of had a realization of what happened, I seen my dads face, white as a sheet with worry... I was drinking a lot up until that day, but since then to this day I haven't been drunk since, I like to have a drink every now and again but I never have more then one or two, it was one of the major dominos that got me on the path to healing. So in a sense like your poem, I put down the bottle and moved towards my future thats mine.

Reading back on this for some might be a painful memory but I feel this poem gave me a happy one, even though I still deal with everything day by day, that Christmas Night was a pinacol moment on the road to healing. Thank you for your poem, It really brought back the right emotion that I needed right now, the emotion to keep pushing to get healed and have the best possible future I can in my life

This poem really spoke to me about my own instance with whiskey and trying to forget. A few Christmases ago, I got triggered really hard related to what happened in my early teen years after seeing a TV show caused a flashback, at the time I wasn't dealing with anything, everything was bottled up and came out at once... I grabbed a bottle of Whiskey and drank it all, then opened a second... I was so down I just wanted everything to stop, so I could forget as I got hit with flashbacks and memories. I remember calling people that I knew cared about me and telling them thank you for everything and drinking from the bottle. To this day they just think I was very drunk, only one knew I was in real pain, I think I might have even told a few of them what happened.

The next thing I remember is crying in the shower, my elderly father trying to wash me off with cold water while I kept vomiting, after he heard me passout and chocking on my vomit he dragged me downstairs... I remember not wanting to tell him why... I blamed it on something related to travel, I didn't want him to know that what happened me as a child that he knew about, happened me again as a teenager at the hands of someone I trusted. My dad isn't a doctor but he knew what to do, he forced me to stay awake chug salty water warm water and throw up all the alcohol.

I woke up the next morning on the sofa still vomiting, only remembering bits of things... and kind of had a realization of what happened, I seen my dads face, white as a sheet with worry... I was drinking a lot up until that day, but since then to this day I haven't been drunk since, I like to have a drink every now and again but I never have more then one or two, it was one of the major dominos that got me on the path to healing. So in a sense like your poem, I put down the bottle and moved towards my future thats mine.

Reading back on this for some might be a painful memory but I feel this poem gave me a happy one, even though I still deal with everything day by day, that Christmas Night was a pinacol moment on the road to healing. Thank you for your poem, It really brought back the right emotion that I needed right now, the emotion to keep pushing to get healed and have the best possible future I can in my life
Thanks for sharing blank space. I appreciate your post

That's the emotion I was exploring whilst writing this poem I want to keep pushing for the best possible future for myself and my children. This year has been a difficult one and the loss of a long time friend has brought a lot of reminiscing , me trying to separate memories of abuse from happy memories of the same era , alot of thinking about how I move forward both in my healing and with the bereavement it's one I need to learn to carry
So I was reminding myself my old coping mechanisms don't work. As tempting as it is sometimes

Wishing you peace in your healing journey

HL