What is the longest word in the dictionary?

The Longest word may have once been,
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious at 34 letters.
Though it is considered a "coined" term & not a true 'word'.

The longest word you might actually run across may be
Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism (30) which is a genetic disease which causes a person to respond abnormally to certain hormones.

Lopadotemachoselachogaleokranioleipsanodrimhypotrimmatosilphioparaomelitokatakechymenokichlepikossyphophattoperisteralektryonoptekephalliokigklopeleiolagoiosiraiobaphetraganopterygon,
is the longest know word in Greek, translated into English.

This might not be considered a 'real word' either, due to the way it was formed by stringing the names of many foodstuffs together.

If you really want to get crazy, we have to look at chemical compound names. Of course, these are like the Greek word above, a string of compounds.
So there is no need to paste here to see, yet know they can be many hundreds of letters long.

It goes on & on.....& on some more.

I think the funniest I have found is the Native American word for what is known as Lake Webster, Massachusetts, today.
Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg @45 letters, means..."you fish your side of the water, I fish my side of the water, nobody fishes the middle". :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol Allen.., Noooooo! Hahaha

Paul, ha! Chargog.., folks are firm about their fishin' now.

The correct answer is... drum roll please ;)... Smiles!

There is a "mile" in between the two "S"'s.

Ta da

i guess im just not getting the concept of humor to well.

thats how my brain works....u ask question....Paul answer it.

I agree Paul that why we need a humor forum. as a survivor I didn't get a comedic timing and punch lines. if the survivors coming into the could get both the struggles and the success we would have yet another healing process for the survivor.

Roll with it, it is like riding a bicycle,
Sam

You AGREE that I'm humorless? :( :(
O man ....

ha ha, Paul even seriousness can be humorous and full with spirit.
I like your reply, you were more than convincing in your answer to longest words and I love it ;)

Hm, I didn't dare but how about finding answer for puppies topic ;) ?

Not a chance. Sam's brain is on a different humor frequency than mine.

Sam, I think 'lightyear' trumps 'Smiles'...

by about 5,676,480,000,000 miles. :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lighty ear- pronounced (Lieheetee ehr) A fungal invasion, a bacterial build up in the inner ear of humans and animals alike that becomes phosphorescent after the gestation period. It has been mistaken for the light bulb above the head, as in, "I have a good idea!"

Which this answer is definitely NOT a good idea, heh heh.

I'm guessing i'm the only one that thinks this forum has the wrong spelling? Humour not Humor lol, I guess that is the UK/USA difference :)

We'll, we hope that leaving the "you" out does not translate into less great jokes, I enjoyed your "Jokes/Riddles" post, wonderful.