Weighted Blanket

Weighted Blanket

manipulated

Staff member
Any one else tried the weighted blankets? Ok maybe quackery but I had been reading the hype about weighted blankets helping with anxiety and nightmares. Saw one big enough (many would be a lap robe for me) to just cover the top of my queen mattress at about half the price for the small ones on Black Friday. Bought it and I am sleeping without the anxiety producing nightmares I have been having. IT WORKS FOR ME!

Cool!
I'm comforted by sleeping with my heaviest pillow on my chest.
I never knew if it was "protection" or comfort...but while I ponder it I fall to sleep.
:)

At the end of my retreat I was speaking with another participant. I talked how I slept much better in the latter days of the retreat. He suggested the weighted blanket. He uses one and told me PTSD symptoms are higher when serotonin levels in the body are lowered. It is believed trauma impacts the serotonin system. He said the weighted blanket is pressure sensitive to the body, hugging one, and this helps to promote production of serotonin and endorphins which aid in sleep. He also told most of our serotonin is produced in the stomach. I told him of my test the next day and the pains I have experienced in the stomach for the past six or seven months. He said that could be interfering in the production of my serotonin that result in nightmares and flashbacks. I spoke with the doctor the next day after the test, he said it is a possibility and of course wanted to have the test results before giving any recommendations.

I am willing to try anything because the sleeplessness has returned, along with the pain, nightmares and flashbacks.

I will explore the weighted blanket. Thank you--always great to hear what works for some--

Kevin

Hi mani

Thanks for the info on weighted blankets I have heard of them before in regards to night terror/nightmares. I may need to try one. I strip my bed in the night and wake up cold, no idea what was going on. I have a heavy pillow that I squeeze to my chest as Bri said but it disappears with everything else.

Hi Kevin
So the test is for serotonin and endorphins levels in the body? Would that tell is the blanket may help or not?

Thanks for the insight
Esterio

Esterio

No the test is not for serotonin or endorphin levels but rather for a nagging pain I have in the stomach for 6 or 7 months. The person was speculating that the cause of this pain could contribute to lower serotonin and endorphin levels. It could be anything from bacterial infection to whatever. I await the results but believe it will not be anything serious.

I am trying alternative remedies to hopefully mitigate the pain--diet especially. It was recommended that I increase probiotics, broccoli and a few other items that can help to minimize bacterial infection. I was told to take kefir milk which is fermented milk with a high level of probiotics. Taste is different than milk more like a yogurt taste.

Oh Kevin

I believe I understand now. I have been through many test now to find out what was causing me stomach and pain through my whole gastric system. They called it IBS for a long time and I think ignored my complaints. I was also vomiting most mornings. I have colonoscopy every couple of years and never showed anything out of the ordinating.

Then they did a gastroscope and found I had a hiatus hernia on my diaphragm at my asoficous (Not spelled right) which was causing acid to rise up and make me vomit in the mornings.

I had already tried everything to stop my problems changing diets. I started to take a medication to reduce acid and it has greatly reduced the vomiting. Still had severe IBS symptoms and nothing changed them but a medication called Lomotil it works to stop the symptoms but was very hard to regulate.

My doctor got me to try a medication for anxiety to see it that would help it did some so we increased it and the symptoms of IBS are for the most part under control. I still have to take Lomotil as a rescue drug every once in a while maybe twice per month.

Just my experience over several years to get to this point. I hope that gives you a little more info to fallow up.

Take Care
Esterio

Kevin,

I am so sorry to hear of your unknown cause gastric pain...brought back memories of 7th and 8th grade - would have had perfect attendance but missed almost two weeks both years as an old quack kept running invasive tests to find the cause of my pains...no one asked and I didn't connect it until last year - fifty years after the fact but the abuse had started about sixth grade and lasted into high school...

Studies are out there that show the anxiety of csa increases ibs, hiatal hernia's, ulcers, etc. Asthma is also on the list - survivor incidence is more than 30% the "normal" rate...More perp gifts that just keep on giving. Hope the docs can help both of you. Get well soon.

PS my gerd symptoms along with migraines have been greatly reduced by acupuncture too. don't know if it will help others but it did more than the meds so far. I was open with my acupuncturist and she treats anxiety and passed stress every time as well as what is going on in between visits. I am no going every three weeks.

Hey mani

That is the same as I have read and a few more fistula's hope it is spelled right, the doctor told me they are most likely caused from csa and penetration. I have had multiple surgeries for them now 30 years ago. I tired acupuncture a couple of times to try and calm anxiety, I didn't notice any difference. I am pleased to hear it is working for you maybe I will try again I would prefer not to be on medication but at this point is the only thing that has let me have a life with out having to be close to a bathroom.

Thanks for the topic. It is something for me to look into more.

Take Care
Esterio

Esterio

Thank you for your story and advise. I had an endoscopy--not sure if it is the same procedure as a gastroscope. A tube was put down the throat with sensors and camera and what I call it a tweezer for the snips. I believe and hope it is an infection. Doctors were concerned because my father had stomach cancer--and I do not know type--they want to rule it out and unknown to me, there is an hereditary form of stomach cancer. I am not worried because I believe it is bacterial and if not I am now in a place to deal with whatever the outcome.

Manipulate I also believe it is probably some form of anxiety and part of getting the abuser out of my life. It could be an ulcer or something benign. I am sorry for your migraines--I do not suffer but have heard and seen others who suffer migraines--my daughter has terrible headaches and have seen her in pain--I hope they are not present today for you. Take care of yourself.

Kevin

hi Kevin

Yes it was down the throat. I hope everything goes well for you. They are concerned for me because of my Dad as well he had lots of health issues.

Take care good luck with the tests results
Esterio