Webinar: From Dissociation & Flight/Fight to Safe & Social : Polyvagal Theory for Sexual Abuse Survivors

Webinar: From Dissociation & Flight/Fight to Safe & Social : Polyvagal Theory for Sexual Abuse Survivors

brother2none

Registrant
MaleSurvivor is excited to announce registration is now open for a compelling Webinar of Recovery, "From Dissociation & Flight/Fight to Safe & Social : Polyvagal Theory for Sexual Abuse Survivors", July 20, 2021 at 8:30pm Eastern Time USA.

polyvagal-webinar-banner800.jpg

The keynote speaker, Justin Sunseri, a licensed marriage and family therapist, will break down the polyvagal theory, the autonomic nervous system and apply it to a host of relational issues facing many sexual abuse survivors of all genders. The central theme of the webinar is on empowering survivors to learn how our body’s autonomic nervous system affects the “state” we are in and influences our internal narrative “story” in relating to ourselves and others. The hour-long webinar is free and is intended for survivors of childhood and adult sexual abuse and their loved ones, and counseling and treatment professionals.

For complete information on the webinar and to register, please visit the polyvagal theory webinar event page. (Mods do not add the registration link here).

Additionally, below is a more detailed outline of the webinar topics. We encourage MaleSurvivor forum members to learn about polyvagal theory and its many connections with PTSD for example. Justin Sunseri is an incredible communicator about relating polyvagal theory to everyday life. There are many, many revelations to be discussed. No need to wait to start the sharing either.... feel free to post your thoughts and experiences in this topic. Final note... thank you to the forum members who contributed their ideas for this webinar.

Webinar Agenda Outline
  • Brief overview of the autonomic nervous system
    • the primary states/ the Polyvagal Ladder -
      • safe/social
      • flight/fight
        • loss of executive control
      • Shutdown
        • dissociation
  • How we respond to safety and danger
    • Unconscious
    • Hardwired into us
  • Neuroception
    • Healthy
    • Unhealthy
    • Being stuck and how it relates to unhealthy neuroception
  • The vagal brake
  • “Story follows state”
    • the world is? And I am?
    • Trauma stories live in sympathetic and dorsal
  • Reconnecting with our bodies
    • Mindfulness
    • Anchoring in the present moment

Last edited:
Fantastic! Thanks so much for putting this together and making it available to all of us at no charge. I'm putting it on my calendar for sure.

Forgot to mention, when you register, use an alias for your name if you have any concerns of privacy. During the webinar, using Zoom's platform, your registration name appears in the attendees list. Some use initials, some use their forum name, most I'd say use their real name. I know privacy and anonymity issues come up often for us survivors. It could be an interesting question to pose to our therapist guest Justin Sunseri about what this concern (fear?) is revealing about our polyvagal state. A common phrase in polyvagal theory is "story follows state", meaning the state I am on the polyvagal ladder will influence my internal dialog. If I'm feeling safe and social, I may not be so concerned about someone knowing my identity. Conversely, if I am down the ladder in a flight/fight place, you bet Im gonna be on red alert. I am really looking forward to this webinar. Within the first day, 25 members are registered. Please register and join us.

These offerings are an incredible gift to all of us. They help us to step out of our drama/trauma story and learn about how trauma affects us. I needed that to reduce the shame and confusion I was carrying. My first reaction to your post was... my name will be there and I feel fine with that. Of course, few people know my name is linked to this username so a form of anonymity remains... Thanks to the administrators and supporters who make these events happen.

It looks like I will not be free to attend this event. I'd be grateful if the organizers can leave an archived version of it online for people who can't join in live, though I realize that may not be feasible. Thanks.

Actually, it is rather easy to record Zoom sessions, though that would necessitate the presenter agreeing and the participants willing to stay for a recorded session. I'm no expert on this but your request seems reasonable Dan. This could be a resource for many men on this website. It would be nice if we had a repository of such things on the site.

Just a question will these talks be recorded and posted anywhere later, I would love to attend but with time zones I cant.

EDIT: sorry didn't see the post about being posted on YouTube, thanks Dan99 answered my question with the quote

Last edited:
The webinar will be recorded and +eventually+ placed on MaleSurvivor's Youtube channel. You can find previous webinars there also. Visit the channel now and subscribe and you will receive an alert when it is posted. To note, MS needs a volunteer who knows some basics of posting videos to Youtube. Really need some help here.
Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't even know it existed. I really appreciate it.

MS needs a volunteer who knows some basics of posting videos to Youtube. Really need some help here.

As the poor "goto guy" for any technical issues in my last 5 jobs, I really should offer some help. While I haven't worked with YouTube for a long time, I am happy to help as much as I can.

I've registered, but do I need Zoom for it? Can someone please explain how to get Zoom and how to use it? Sorry I don't know this stuff.

Bump to webinar thread, it's tonight July 20, 8:30 ET, 5:30 PT USA. Two links to share. Our keynote (and only) guest is therapist Justin Sunseri, LMFT. His website is https://www.justinlmft.com/ with a many polyvagal-informed visuals in the file share section at https://www.justinlmft.com/fileshare but its his podcast that got me hooked. The central theme of the webinar is on empowering survivors to learn how our body’s autonomic nervous system affects the “state” we are in and influences our internal narrative “story” in relating to ourselves and others. The webinar link is above in the first topic thread.

Thanks again... I've been reading in Polyvagal Theory for the past few weeks and watching videos. Honestly, this explanation of what happens in our bodies when we feel unsafe... i.e. traumatized, is brilliant. The shame we carry has nothing to do with what our bodies did since those actions were made without conscious thought... it is a story we create in an attempt to explain the unexplainable horror of what happened and how terrified we were by it all. This is a very compassionate perspective on how our bodies have tried to protect us our entire life. The autonomic nervous system doesn't make mistakes. I'm looking forward to this presentation. These offerings are really gold... a gift to all of us.

I'd be interested in seeing this or something similar if it runs again in the near future
It should be posted on the YouTube channel soon.

Here's a link to MaleSurvivors' YouTube channel. All of the videos they produce will appear at this site. This particular webinar will appear there but there are many fine videos. At the top you see a link to Videos and all the videos available have titles that link to the videos. You can "bookmark" the link below and access it any time you wish... or you can come back to this thread, which you found... and use the link below.