Waking up

Waking up
As we wake up to the reality of our past, and become aware
We have a duty to spread awareness
Those of who can see, have a duty to help those who cannot
Those of us who understand, have a duty to help those who do not
It does not matter how one became unable – the unable need the help of the able
Those of us who survived rape and other forms of sexual abuse, have a duty to ourselves and to others to spread the awareness that this crime is committed against boys and men and that the impact can be devastating – but that we can and do survive differently abled, but still able
And while the crime is not the same in every case and the impact is not the same in every case – we still need to rise from our pain and confusion to proclaim our aliveness and progress toward healing and acceptance of who we are and, in so doing, to proudly proclaim who we are to the world.

I agree 100%. I believe all of us who are able should try as much as possible to help other people who are going through the same thing.

Not all of us are in a place where we can help, and not everyone is in a place where they can be helped. But those of us who can need to reach out. For too long us men have been left in silence, and that's one reason we're killing ourselves in unfathomable numbers. We can't wait for men to reach out, because so many of us can't. Those of us who can have to do the reaching out.

(like)

This is so spot on. Helping others helps our self. I'm a survivor not a victim anymore , like (survivor) Caleb B. says.

Excellent piece.

I make it a priority to find opportunities to talk about the sexual abuse of boys and men every chance I get.
Medical professionals and staff are excellent opportunities to spread the word about MS. I give anyone who shows an interest the address ...
www.malesurvivor.org

It has worked at least once that I know of.
My dentist and I were talking about it and I was about to leave when the young hygienist approached me.
Her best friend's younger brother was having a lot of problems and they were both certain that he had been abused.
This was 4 or 5 years ago.
Long story short ... he's here.
Of course I have no idea who he is.
One five minute conversation led this young man here and it is my fervent hope that he has found what he needed in MS.

I often wonder ...
if I told somebody who told somebody who told somebody about MS ...
are there others here?

Word of mouth works.