Trip to NYC

Trip to NYC

Ryan15

Member, Male
For a long time I have wanted to visit New York City, I have come close a few times to going, but I think this time is actually going to happen! The other day, a coworker asked me I would be interested in going to New York with him. (He is normally from there). I told him I would be interested, but I may not be able to afford it. I was then told that all I have to pay for is the airfare and food as lodging would be covered. I will be flying out on Sunday, February 17 and returning on Thursday the 21--and best of all, I will only have to miss two hours of work!.

I have no idea what I will do in New York--or rather where I will start--as there is much to see. A few places I would like to visit depending on cost, include: The statue of Liberty, the WTC monument, (the Sears Tower will be closed due to renovations), and if time permits, we may go down to DC. Unfortunately, I do not know what to go visit in DC. My coworker said he will also take me to see all five boroughs.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have spoken to a couple of friends who live in New York, but it has been awhile since I had last spoken to them. It's too bad because I would like to go visit them if they don't live too far from Manhattan

TW16

Hi TW16

I have never been to NYC. My suggestion would be to be careful and have a great time see what you can and to take in the people they are a different breed I think in a good way. At least all the people I have met have been interesting in the way they act. I have like all those I have met from there.

Take Care
Esterio

TW16

Go NYC has much to offer. I lived and worked there for years and now in DC. Your trip is short--4 days. The places you mentioned will keep you quite busy. The Statute of Liberty and Ellis go hand in hand. You can and I recommend you reserve tickets in advance to ensure you get access to the crown. You will want to visit Times Square which has changed over the years. Today it is quite trendy. There are many museums if that is your interest. Trying to see the 5 boroughs will be long excursion and will cut into your visit. Manhattan is the primary place for visitors unless you have family or something specific to see in the boroughs. You may want to take the Staten Ferry to a water view of NYC, as well as the South Street Seaport.

Trying to squeeze DC will be difficult--if flying it will still take you about 3 hours including getting to and from the airport. Driving is about 5 hours. If you decide on DC check to see if the Government Shutdown is over. Currently most monuments and museums are closed.

Safe travels and enjoy.

Kevin

try a Broadway show, I think there's a cruise around manhatten circle line I think it might have an evening dinner cruise type thing be nice watching the city skyline at night, empire state bldg. during the day good view of the city, like KMCINVA said outer boroughs don't have much to see, if ur into knights and mid-evil stuff in the north Bronx theres a museum the cloisters ? that has weapons armor etc, im sure u will keep busy oh yeah Chrysler bldg. is cool look into stuff b-4 u go and book stuff ASAP to make sure u get in, have fun . BB

I agree that trying to squeeze Washington DC into that trip will give you a rather hurried and superficial experience with both. If you have the option, just focus on NYC.

Of course there are the typical tourist spots. Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty welcoming immigrants to our shores is still fun (despite the arguably growing hypocrisy of its message.) The Empire State building is certainly a stop. But I have found the best way to taste the Big Apple is at these venues - some of which may seem less than typical.

A subway trip will take you to the Cloisters. It's not just a visual display of medieval Europe - it's an immersion. Once part of the Rockefeller family collection, it is now managed by the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Take the A train and get off at the 190th Street stop.

I definitely wouldn't miss the main Met museum either - one that many regard as the greatest in the world. That's easily - easily - a full day right there. But it's an utterly sure bet for a New York experience.

While the Met is an educational experience, a walk through Central Park is a magical one. You can step into the park right outside the Met (which flanks its eastern edge) and find sculpture tributes to Alice in Wonderland and Hans Christian Anderson, the Belvedere Castle, Strawberry Fields, and so much more. It's a fun place to casually stroll - and among the hills and bridges and rocky ledges, ponds and waterfalls, you can almost forget you're in New York until you look up and see the towering skyline around you. A hike there is a real adventure - especially if you've never seen it. There is always a pleasant surprise waiting around every bend.

Ground Zero is certainly a soulful visit. The waterfall footprints were emotionally stunning. I have not see the museum - having visited when it was still under construction - but I understand it is pretty amazing.

John's Pizza in Greenwich Village has the best pies in town (on Bleeker Street). And visit the Flagship stores in Soho and the little art galleries. The wonderful thing about New York is that it has something for every size pocketbook/wallet. I've dined in some nice restaurants there (The Blue Fin in Times Square has a salmon that you will never match anywhere,) but honestly I get just as much culinary delight with a grab and go slice (or three) of pepperoni pizza from one of the many great choices there. Start at least one morning with cappuccino at Cafe Angelique in the West Village. Watch a band at the Mercury Lounge in the East Village one night. Take the aerial tramway 250 feet up over the East River to Roosevelt Island for a more Disneyesque thrill-ride experience of the city. None of these top the tourist guides - and IMHO that's where all the real fun of a NYC experience is found.

Agree with Erik, there are several John's Pizza and John's Best Pizza throughout NY. Bleeker Street will give you a true NY Pizza.

Thank you for the input. I will certainly take all of your suggestions into consideration. Since I posted, it has been decided that this trip be postponed until March or April when the weather gets better and it isn't as cold.

As for the Empire State Building, I learned it is under renovation, so I won't be able to go up to the viewing balcony to see the city as it will be closed until April or May, I believe.

During one of the days in New York, my friend needs to travel to his hometown--which is about a two hour drive--to take care of some personal matters, so I will need to find something to do on my own during that time. To be honest, I am a bit nervous about that as I may get lost--or even hurt. I have heard NYC can be a dangerous place if you don't know the area or people there. I am hoping the city isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

TW16

I love NYC! A couple of years ago, I found myself in Manhattan for a work conference and made the most of my time there. I stayed in a hotel next to the Herald Square Station (close to 34th Street), so I could easily walk to up Broadway to Times Square, or take the subway downtown to Lower Manhattan.

Whatever you do, get out and walk the neighborhoods during the day. As others may have mentioned:

Take a waterfront tour of Manhattan on a Circle Line cruise.
I my opinion, the Statue of Liberty is best observed and photographed from the harbor...no need to deal with crowds and security at the actual site.

Go to Ground Zero. It’s a solemn place...then return to the hustle of the City that shows we can and will persevere.

Take a walk on the Highline trail over toward Chelsea and the Hudson Yards---not too far from Javits Center.

Visit Central Park!! Look for the hidden gems like the Balto statue, stop by the zoo, and the vast fields where goats once roamed. Look for Strawberry Fields and the “Imagine” mosaic near the Dakota where John Lennon lived. Visit the gift shop—-it’s better than the average tourist shop.

Try a quirky little Chinese place called “The Cottage” on the Upper West Side around Amsterdam and West 77th toward Columbia University. They might even give you a glass or two of box wine for free.

Walk through the Village and stop in at the art galleries. It costs nothing to look-though I was smitten with a watercolor and ended up buying it....no, it didn't break the bank, but it was an unexpected purchase, but art can do that to you).

Visit the Met on the Upper East Side (as Eirik says...along the eastern flank of Central Park).

Visit Wall Street and see the sculptures of the charging bull and the little girl and make your way to Battery Park for a photo op.

Go through Grand Central Station and marvel at the ghosts of the past (it made me a little sad even at rush hour in a Holden Caulfield sort of way). Be a tourist and have a few at the Grand Central Oyster Bar if you're so inclined. There will be more than tourists there btw.

If you make it deep into the Bronx, you might even be able to visit City Island which feels a little bit like a New England seaport.

By all means, get an MTA card and ride the subway. You’re bound to be entertained while you travel.
Take lots of pictures. Tourists are everywhere-you won’t be the only one. Pay attention to the subway station names in tile mosaics. They harken back to an artisanal pride missing today...but I could be under the spell of "survivor bias".

New Yorkers can be all business and no minutes...but I never experience overt rudeness...they just tend to get down to business without much chit-chat. Still, it’s always my mission to make people pause and smile by using 10 dollar words with a Georgia drawl all with the confidence of a longtime NYC denizen. (They think I'm a lawyer---because you know---tv and movies lol)

I’ve visited many large cities in the world, and NYC is well...It’s NYC! It always feels strangely familiar and comfortable when I’m there.

If you fly into LaGuardia, expect construction and perhaps an approach over Riker's Island. Theoretically, you can take transit from LGA to Manhattan, but it involves a shuttle, an MTA bus all the way to Manhattan, or taking a bus to a subway station in Queens and going from there. Being your first visit, just take a cab or book a roundtrip ticket with the Airlink shuttle---especially if you're staying in Midtown.

Have fun!

Oh yeah...I met a fellow MSer last time I was there. I made sure dinner and a beer or three were on me since it cost him a fortune to park in Midtown. :) bb

Will

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update regarding my New York trip. Before I stated I was going on February 17, well, due to weather and the government shut down, we decided to postpone it until probably the first week in April. We are not yet sure on a date, but it will be a Sunday through Thursday trip.

TW16

Wow! That is a lot to do, and I am sure it doen't even scratch the surface.

I will be flying in to JFK, and will be in New York from April 5th - 11th, (and the 12th is my birthday!) So, six days instead of four! We will also be staying in a hotel on Manhattan. It would be cool to meet any of you guys who do live in New York.

Also, my friend and I talked about going to Six Flags down in New Jersey.

TW16

P.S. I had thought about moving to New York City before.

I chaperoned my daughter's hs trip several years ago. we saw Blue Man Group. Never laughed so hard in all my life! We saw Wicked - (ashamed to say I was so exhausted, within 10 min after the curtain opened I fell asleep until final applause).
Took a river cruise. got close to Statue of Liberty. Chinatown (shopping for fake name brand stuff - Rollexx watches, etc.), little italy. DC should be a separate trip.

The best time to go to New York City should be chosen based on your goals. If you want to visit museums and cultural programs you should visit the city in January and February. At this time, the city is less crowded, so you can enjoy art without the hustle and bustle. Broadway musicals can be caught in September, which will delight you with novelties. Organize every detail. can bring you a lot of surprises. Take care of your documents, don't lose them, and keep valuables in your bag and purse.

Last edited:
I just got back from another NYC trip—this time with my family. I didn’t exactly know what to expect post-Covid, but what we found was a busy city with an influx of visitors ahead of Pride weekend.

The museums were busy…The Met and the Whitney had plenty of visitors. The subway was slightly less crowded, but the parks, hotels, and streets were bustling. People still seemed to enjoy hearing our Georgia drawl, NY minutes are still shorter than Atlanta minutes, and Central Park is still a awesome example of age-old foresight.

We stayed on the Upper West Side, but we still explored all of Manhattan and made it down to West 48th to see HadesTown at the Walter Kerr Theatre one evening. Musicals aren’t really my thing, but I came away thoroughly impressed with the Broadway show.

Later, we made our way down to the LES (Lower East Side) to the NY Tenement Museum—-totally humbling and worth it.

As a native Southerner, I find NYC to be welcoming according to its own terms. It’s not the Gotham to fear, but instead it’s a city to revere.

Will

Sounds like fun. Even though I have not gotten another opportunity to visit NYC sine I posted my original message, I still hope to be able to go there one day.

I spent 3 days in a hotel in the financial district, traveling to different 'attractions' in the city.....I don't care if I ever go back again.

This is an old message. NYC is so much fun! If anyone is going, Christmas is a wonderful time to visit.

TW16

Go NYC has much to offer. I lived and worked there for years and now in DC. Your trip is short--4 days. The places you mentioned will keep you quite busy. The Statute of Liberty and Ellis go hand in hand. You can and I recommend you reserve tickets in advance to ensure you get access to the crown. You will want to visit Times Square which has changed over the years. Today it is quite trendy. There are many museums if that is your interest. Trying to see the 5 boroughs will be long excursion and will cut into your visit. Manhattan is the primary place for visitors unless you have family or something specific to see in the boroughs. You may want to take the Staten Ferry to a water view of NYC, as well as the South Street Seaport.

Trying to squeeze DC will be difficult--if flying it will still take you about 3 hours including getting to and from the airport. Driving is about 5 hours. If you decide on DC check to see if the Government Shutdown is over. Currently most monuments and museums are closed.

Safe travels and enjoy.

Kevin
I’ve been to NYC several times and I love the culture and energy of the city. There are so many things to see and do. I like it better than London.
Washington DC is different. Take the commuter train to DC early morning. Choose a ‘quiet car.’ Do the Museum Mall. Choose 2 museums to visit + Lincoln Memorial. Walk from one end to the other. I did 5 museums in the 2 days I was there. Get a late evening commuter train back. Long day. DC is easy to visit. DC is more relaxing to visit because of its wide open spaces with it’s French style boulevards.

I visited: National Air and Space/Museum of American History/Smithsonian Natural History/Museum of the American Indian/National Archives/Ford’s Theatre/Lincoln Memorial/Memorial Park/FBI museum.
Ate street food+ meal in Hard Rock Cafe.

Last edited:
I lived in DC for 8 years, and now have gone back several times with my kids. Love all the museums and walking the mall. Nothing like a "Half-Smoke" (smoked sausage in a bun) from a street vendor.