Station 19 - Gibson

Station 19 - Gibson

FormerTexan

Administrator
Staff member
Often I let my TV just play in the background while I do work on the PC. I've been watching repeats of Station 19 and watched as the character history develops over time. Some shows go the distance to give us a look at the hard times the characters endured in life. One of them, Gibson, went looking for his half brother, and found him, only to discover that he is the one who was adopted out. He tries coming to grips with the idea that his parents simply did not want him.

He and Herrera stop to swap out a blown tire, and Gibson is still processing what he has just found out. Rage takes over as he struggles to undo the lug nuts on the wheel. He finally collapses in anger and hurt as he lets out some details of his childhood. Herrera listens as he struggles to find the words. At one point he talks about how he was handed "from predator to predator," melts down into the weight of this reality. He was passed around like a toy for others to use. Herrera does all she can to hold him close and offer comfort as the hurt pours out in this moment.

I'm sure many of us can relate to Gibson's moment of clarity, and the how the emotional dam has burst. To realize the depth of pain involved is many times more than our body can even process in a given moment. So the hurt has to be "piecemealed out." Process some today, and take a break. Process something else tomorrow, and rest once more. Gibson carried his part well as Herrera offered the best comfort she could.