Standing in a group and feeling completely alone.

Standing in a group and feeling completely alone.

Esterio

Staff member
Hi yesterday was one of those days. I went to a celebration of life of some good friends of my parents. I don't know any of the family I knew there Mom and Dad and some of there friends. I almost came apart not long into it standing in a room with many people and I felt so a lone. I am not sure how to deal with that.A lady friend of my Moms came and got me to come and sit with them. I was ok after that but if I had not felt that friendly hand I feel I would have broke down on the spot. I can't believe how fragile I am. This is making going out difficult all most impossible to a lot of things.

Thanks for reading I guess I am want to know how to break that feeling of being alone in a crowd?

Esterio

Hi Esterio
Those feelings of "alone in a crowd" are pretty common, I feel. I have them too. I nod & smile or try to be open to people approaching me,or at least try not to act closed off & unapproachable.

Hi Tom

It was not just the standing in the crowd and feeling alone. It was how fragile I felt I was, I was frozen in time. I don't know what I would have done if that lady had not come up and careful put her hand on me and took me to their table. She knows I have PTSD. It seems to be getting harder instead of easier.

Thanks for you support and response Tom

Esterio

I recognize that Esterio. The feeling of feeling fragile, can look like you're starting to fall apart.

Our basic sense of safety sometimes turns into quick sand. Then we feel lost, especially admits crowds.

Esterio said:
Thanks for reading I guess I am want to know how to break that feeling of being alone in a crowd?
Good question. I guess my question to you would be if you can accept being fragile/alone in a crowd?
Is being alone troubling you? Or is it more the feeling of fragility which is troubling?

For me, in large crowds - especially with lots of strangers i don't know how to act. I somehow get so overwhelmed, that i switch to basic survival mode. Really interesting to notice.

And to me personally i find it a positive sign that you realize that you are fragile. Cause we are at times. The quest is to learn to live with this fragility.

So at this point i cant really give you an answer to your question. To me it comes down to how i feel. When i'm with lots of friends, a big crowd is no problem. But once i am isolated and alone, things are different. Safety is such an important issue!