Self Care

You are a good man Larry. I have enjoyed your posts. I think that self care, taking care and living a good healthy life is a big part of healing. Diet and exercise have an impact on how we see ourselves. As we see ourselves in a more positive light it becomes easier to build friendships. One positive step forward begets another and the path doesn’t seem as steep anymore.
Your encouragement means a lot to me. Thank you.

The Buzzard Tree

The river has become a haven for me and is a major environment in which I learn and practice my self care.

So, today, I went to the river.

I sat under the buzzard tree.

There are two buzzard trees at the river. One on each side. Both are dead cottonwood trees. The buzzards (a mixed group of Turkey Vultures and Black Vultures) have stripped all of the small branches off leaving only the right size branches for them to perch on. Today, the fledgling buzzards were perched across the river. They are still so young that their wing strength only allows them to fly short distances. They perch in one tight group for safety and comfort. The adult buzzards feed and care for them as one big family. The adult buzzards teach the fledglings how to fly, search for food, choose a perch, how to get along with each other, and how to live in a real world. The Black Vultures can't smell dead animals so they follow the Turkey Vultures (who can smell quite well) to the carrion. Buzzards form relationships!

My self care requires I live in the - right now - world instead of the 64 years I was locked in the abyss of silence caused by CSA age 4. I search for clues as to how to improve my self care from a variety of sources and environments. At the river, I search for creatures. I can learn from them also. Forming relationships is hard for me so watching the fledgling buzzards learning how to form healthy relationships was enlightening.

I desperately need to overcome feeling selfish whenever I do even the least bit of self care. I have been told my entire life that I am to be the giver and not the receiver. And to even hint that I have a need was considered - selfish.

The buzzards fulfill their needs without being shamed as being selfish.

Why can't I?

That is a large part of my self care as well. The more I affirm my manliness the more I walk tall with my back straight, chin parallel to the ground, looking ahead and scanning the environment and my arms/hands swinging slightly by my side, speak clearly without mumbling, make eye contact with other men, smile, and listen for understanding when other men speak. I am forcing myself to walk past reflective surfaces - windows, mirrors and metal just so I can look at myself. The reflection is mine. It's not another man. It's not a terrified little boy posing as a wanna be man. It's me.
I love this, Larry!