New Forum and Chat Platform - Questions & Concerns

New Forum and Chat Platform - Questions & Concerns
Thank you for sharing that! It was many hours to get here. Always good to know it is appreciated.

The other day I started to write an answer to my thread Abused by my ex girlfriend, but I stopped after a while and I'm quite certain that I clicked Save Draft before I left the forum. Now I came to finish that post but my draft is gone. Is there any way to recover it? I spent about an hour writing the first part.

your best bet for long posts is to use a separate text editor or "note" app (with auto save). then copy & paste the text.

i can’t find a link from the forum to the MS home page? Particularly to the survivor resources would be very helpful. At least on my phone when I click the logo it just takes me to the forum list not the home page with its links.

The newest upgrade on the chat room: I am assuming that you click the red figure to log out of a chat room or private chat. First of all, how do you then get rid of the private chat? It still shows up on the left-hand side that I have a private chat going with someone. Secondly, when I click on the red figure, it takes me to google, rather than back to the MaleSurvivor forum. Not sure if that is what is intended.

hi Dre, i think the red man was meant to be like an escape hatch like if someone came near who you didnt want to see what you were doing or you didnt want them to see what site you were on you hit the red guy and poof your off the site and at a random place on the net,, on another note about chat it would be nice if we could see who if anybody were in the rooms before we jumped in as it could get awkward going in a room if there were someone in there who we wanted to avoid then having to jump out as it would be rude doing that to anybody else who may be in the room,, some guys can be very touchy on that point,, also could we have the time stamp show up every time we hit enter as it would let someone new to the room know how long ago that person was active in the room and that the new person wasnt being ignored but the one in the room may have left the room,, some guys can take that the wrong way and feel they were being slighted and leave chat perhaps for good just my 2 cents as a long time chat user who has seen things like that happen before.

...on another note about chat it would be nice if we could see who if anybody were in the rooms before we jumped in as it could get awkward going in a room if there were someone in there who we wanted to avoid then having to jump out as it would be rude doing that to anybody else who may be in the room,, some guys can be very touchy on that point,, also could we have the time stamp show up every time we hit enter as it would let someone new to the room know how long ago that person was active in the room and that the new person wasnt being ignored but the one in the room may have left the room,, some guys can take that the wrong way and feel they were being slighted and leave chat perhaps for good just my 2 cents as a long time chat user who has seen things like that happen before.
I agree with this, its helpful.

The mobile version seems to load a new page/function all together instead of 'cohabitating with the main website.' It felt more integrated with MS before. Some times i'll browse forums when no one is in chat and forget i'm in chat. I refresh to go back and no one is chatting still but I have to go back several pages or open new tab in browser. Its a real pain on mobile to login each time when switching between chat windows.

I know this is free to use and i'm certainly not complaining. I think it would be less confusing though or maybe have a short user guide/FAQ -tips section. This could make for a more seamless function between forums and chat. I know everyone has their preferences on this site and not all of us are tech savy (which is ok). Basically--making it accessible is crucial! Just my thoughts in hopes to make it better for all.

Thank you mod team!

The new chat system appears to have great potential and be a happy thing for many of us!! thank you!
However at the moment, it's very confusing to use. Not to mention the fact that there's no obvious way to get to the forum list again. Nothing to click on. And, the "Chat" status at the top of the form page doesn't reflect if anyone's in chat or not.

If you look in the lower left hand corner, you can click something that takes you straight back to the forums. After you do, you'll have to click the x on the chat window to close it.
I have a concern that the people you have on your ignore list are seen in full conversation in the new chat. I put these people on ignore for a reason. If they're going to be in there, chat will not be something I'll use. :(

On PC (and probably MAC) there is indeed a link in the lower left hand corner. That is however not the case on mobile. I think that's causing the confusion :)

the only thing i have in lower left corner is the smiley face thing to leave chat i had to hit back page arrow on the upper left side by the refresh circle

I agree with Iaccus, there needs to be a noise or alert that goes off when there is a new message or a new person coming in to chat. If I'm the only one in there, I'm often doing something else at the same time, and then miss other people showing up in there.

It's also fantastic that private chats have been resurrected!
However, how on earth do you close one that is already opened?

And, it seems to me that it could be useful to have an indication again on the forum main page about how many people are in chat. Or at least that someone is in there.

knock knock is there anyone here, chat is really difficult to use

not having a prompt tone is no good
not having the number of people here on the main page is no good
I don't like the white page
is there some settings some where
I think when chat first got restarted the last time it was difficult for us to use as well so maybe this will pass as well
Why do those you have on ignore come through on chat

Last edited:
I just want to echo what the above posters have said. I appreciate that they are giving things an overhaul but chat is missing some needed features.

Hi, folks - we are looking at this thread and plan to address the issues. If we don't answer the "knock knock" right away, we ask for your patience. We are volunteers with only so much time and energy we can devote to this. Also chat is not the only project we are working on to fulfill the mission of MaleSurvivor.org and ensure it remains a viable and active resource to male survivors of sexual abuse - so we do sometimes prioritize projects especially when some have limited timelines. Please rest assured that we are not ignoring this and we will address your concerns.

hi C E, you guys are doing a great job and thank you for doing it, i think the guys posting about this just want to let the powers that be know of our concerns over what will make chat better for the users we all know this whole revamp is alot of work and the folks involved are doing their best i think we just wanted to let someone know of our thoughts on the matter not to try to pressure anyone over it,, thanks for getting back to us on it its nice to know our voice has been heard, again thanks to all involved for your hard work and dedication to the site,, BB.