Music. What are your songs? (recovery, depression, happiness, anything)

Music. What are your songs? (recovery, depression, happiness, anything)
God Only Knows

Dear Younger Me

If you like a singer songwriter vibe, you might enjoy Andrew Peterson. His lyrics deal with those stormy places and finding peace.
The songs below, first was to his son, next to his daughter and last to his wife. Including a verse or chorus with each to give you an idea.

I can see the road that lies ahead
I can see the love and the sorrow
Bright fields of joy
Dark nights awake in a stormy bed
I want to go with you, but I can’t follow
So keep to the old roads
Keep to the old roads
And you’ll find your way

How does it end when the war that you're in
Is just you against you against you
Gotta learn to love, learn to love
Learn to love your enemies too
You can't expect to be perfect
It's a fight you've gotta forfeit
You belong to me whatever you do
So lay down your weapon, darling
Take a deep breath and believe that I love you

You are a fortress
I am under siege
You're a light in the forest
I'm a lost boy out in the trees
So I run away home
Yes I run away home to you

If you like a singer songwriter vibe, you might enjoy Andrew Peterson. His lyrics deal with those stormy places and finding peace.
The songs below, first was to his son, next to his daughter and last to his wife. Including a verse or chorus with each to give you an idea.

Bright fields of joy
So keep to the old roads
Keep to the old roads
And you’ll find your way

You are a fortress
I am under siege
So I run away home

Blueshawk,
Thanks for these. I downloaded ‘You’ll find your way’ and it resonates with me as I try to talk to my inner child. I don’t think I’ve made contact with him yet, but this certainly helps.
JB

Blueshawk,
Thanks for these. I downloaded ‘You’ll find your way’ and it resonates with me as I try to talk to my inner child. I don’t think I’ve made contact with him yet, but this certainly helps.
JB
Glad you liked it JB, hoping these songs resonate with others like they did with me. Props to whoever started this thread, it's all good, it's creative like the poetry forum that can open things up.. Tbh, I'm a little lost on the connect with your inner child conversation, the words make sense and I'm sure it's on me, but it reminds me of trying to learn calculus and just missing something. Hope I do better with the inner child than I did with calculus. Hey maybe there will be an app someday :)

Glad you liked it JB, hoping these songs resonate with others like they did with me. Props to whoever started this thread, it's all good, it's creative like the poetry forum that can open things up.. Tbh, I'm a little lost on the connect with your inner child conversation, the words make sense and I'm sure it's on me, but it reminds me of trying to learn calculus and just missing something. Hope I do better with the inner child than I did with calculus. Hey maybe there will be an app someday :)
I was too scared to take calculus. That’s the amazing thing about songs and poetry. Each person can translate a song or poem to what they are going through even though the songwriter/poet didn’t intend it that way. I feel myself and my younger self are still a bit lost and trying to connect. I take the verses as me talking to him and trying to lead him back to me.
Thanks again. If I ever find a need for calculus I’ll be sure to let you know if there is an app.:)

Bright fields of joy
So keep to the old roads
Keep to the old roads
And you’ll find your way

You are a fortress
I am under siege
So I run away home

@JBP and anyone else, if you like the tunes and are near Connecticut, AP is gonna be live in Bethel CT on April 30th.

More info: https://event.attendstar.com/event/...564359761&mc_cid=4bf71a4067&mc_eid=819c321b2f

Linkin Park - Heavy

This one may have been mentioned already, but I listen to it a lot when I'm feeling overwhelmed. Just crank it up in my car and sing as loud as possible.

There are a few songs that have truly impacted me during this journey. Recently my wife and I heard Boys Don't Cry by Camila Cabello and of course I cried lol, because the lyrics were everything I wanted someone to tell me. Definitely put into perspective what my wife felt at times when I put my walls up because of the trauma.

Lyrics:

[Verse 1]
I know thoughts you don't want in your head
Are spinnin' round-round-round
I know you got demons from the past
Slowin' you down-down-down

But you don't answer your FaceTime
You never had much of a poker face
It doesn't make you less of a man
You're just human right now

[Pre-Chorus]
When I'm afraid of the world, when every part of me hurts
You don't know how many times you've saved me
So why you hidin' from me? It's only makin' it worse
I just wanna be close, my baby

[Chorus]
Give me your pain, I'll take the weight off your shoulders
Don't be afraid, fall into me, let me hold ya
We weren't made to hold back the rain from the sky
Who ever told you that boys don't cry, boys don't cry?

[Verse 2]
Hate it when you shut me out
Actin' like it's your shit to figure out
Don't wanna be touched, don't wanna discuss
I get it, I just, uh
Now I'm in my head about what's in your head
Come back to bed, can we talk about it?
It's not stupid, it's not drama
It's just trauma turned to armor
Keepin' you from me, no performing
If you love me, come and touch me, yeah

[Pre-Chorus]
When I'm afraid of the world, when every part of me hurts
You don't know how many times you've saved me
So why you hidin' from me? It's only makin' it worse
I just wanna be close, my baby

[Chorus]
Yeah, who ever told you that boys don't cry, boys don't cry?

[Post-Chorus]
Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah
Boys don't cry, boys don't cry
Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah

[Bridge]
Come, my baby, lay your head on me
Lay your head on me, lay your head on me
Lay your head on me, lay your head on me (You know I got ya)
Come, my baby, lay your head on me (And you know I'd do anything for ya)

[Chorus]
Who ever told you that boys don't cry, boys don't cry?

[Outro]
Ooh-oh

I look to the sea
Reflections in the waves spark my memory
Some happy some sad
I think of childhood friends and the dreams we had
We live happily forever
So the story goes
But somehow we missed out
On that pot of gold
But we'll try best that we can
To carry on

If I had more contact with technology the few years I could post the song here. The name of the song is Traust by Heilung. It gives me peace and a feeling of not being alone.

I was talking with a great guy here about going thru all the things we gotta face dealing with the fallout from abuse and how a lotta times God seems silent to our suffering. This song goes there

It's enough to drive a man crazy; it'll break a man's faith
It's enough to make him wonder if he's ever been sane
When he's bleating for comfort from Thy staff and Thy rod
And the heaven's only answer is the silence of God

It'll shake a man's timbers when he loses his heart
When he has to remember what broke him apart
This yoke may be easy, but this burden is not
When the crying fields are frozen by the silence of God

And if a man has got to listen to the voices of the mob
Who are reeling in the throes of all the happiness they've got
When they tell you all their troubles have been nailed up to that cross
Then what about the times when even followers get lost?
'Cause we all get lost sometimes...

There's a statue of Jesus on a monastery knoll
In the hills of Kentucky, all quiet and cold
And He's kneeling in the garden, as silent as a Stone
All His friends are sleeping and He's weeping all alone

And the man of all sorrows, he never forgot
What sorrow is carried by the hearts that he bought
So when the questions dissolve into the silence of God
The aching may remain, but the breaking does not
The aching may remain, but the breaking does not
In the holy, lonesome echo of the silence of God

Religion & going to church is not a big part of my life, but here are some songs about God that I find myself listening to.

Aaron Lewis-Everybody Talks to God

Larry Fleet-Where I Find God

Growing up in church faith was a huge part of life! It hurt me in some ways trying to recover but helped in so many! The hurt is from the religion side, not the faith just to clarify. I’m not super religious now, I’m spiritual. But I’m more of a looking for god in the little things kind of guy too. The sound of the ocean… the stillness in a Forrest… the feel of the breeze on my skin… warmth of sun. I totally think we can see miracles manifested in majorly big ways! I have! But I think the small things have so much energy in them and we miss it… we get lost in the big stuff. So it just helps me to focus a bit…

Here are a few songs I’ve used and still do when I’m struggling…

I believe, always have, David and Jonathan were in love! Scripture says, Jonathan made a covenant with David, because he loved him as his own soul. It’s often shown how they showed their love for each other… well after Jonathan’s death and David became king he summoned Jonathan’s son Mephibosheth. He had been injured as a child when he was dropped and crippled. Now in those days it wasn’t uncommon for new kings to kill all surviving members of of the previous kings family so no one had claim to the thrown. Mephib assumed this was why he was summoned and was terrified… this song is about what happened when he got there. When I’m feeling super down and thinking no one can ever love me, kinda like now… I’ll listen this and cry… and it’s just a reminder that love goes beyond this crap! David’s love for Jonathan is why his son was carried to the table and it really is just comforting to me for some reason. Not too mention the entire thing of feeling like Mephib.

This song I love! When I’m spiraling and can’t make a decision and I really listen to this song to remind myself wait… breathe… this feeling will pass… don’t get tied up in this shame and guilt again don’t struggle… be still a bit… wait!

And then when I’m thinking I can’t do this… I can’t go through this again… it’s too much… and I’m just tired. I’ll listen to this song…

Trigger Warning Song about physical abuse of a kid that goes bad and it hits deep, but the singing's beautiful. Just a reminder not to forget hurting kids.

Trigger Warning Song about physical abuse of a kid that goes bad and it hits deep, but the singing's beautiful. Just a reminder not to forget hurting kids.

Growing up in the south I can sing this song! Love it! Her a broken wing song is the one I’d go to a lot because I felt like it was me… always wanting to leave… have you heard it?! If not give it a listen!

Growing up in the south I can sing this song! Love it! Her a broken wing song is the one I’d go to a lot because I felt like it was me… always wanting to leave… have you heard it?! If not give it a listen!
Guess it's called Broken Wing, yeah never heard of it but don't follow the singer much. I'll check it out tho.