Music. What are your songs? (recovery, depression, happiness, anything)

The Call--I Still Believe

I grew up right outside NYC, pretty much a city kid and somehow I got hooked on classic Country, I mean shit-kicken drinking music from a step mom who constantly was flipping thru car radio stations. I grew up surrounded by alcoholism and my abuser was a drunk's, drunk so I hate(d) being around drinking but somehow I found this music soothing to my hurting young mind & soul back in the day and I still do. As a child I so much identified with all the hurt & misery in the music and with me not being able to articulate my own pain in words, this pain filled music spoke for me. My #1 artist for this was George Jones, his " He Stopped Loving Her Today" was my all time favorite, If Drinkin’ Don’t Kill Me (Her Memory Will)”, "Two Story House"... There are a lot of other Country artists & sad songs in my hit parade. I used to drive my older brother crazy when I'd start up my stereo as a kid, even threats of an ass kicking didn't stop me. I was the only one of my friends with a car at 17 so my friends were tortured by my Country music too and did they bust balls over it too, but my car, my music :) They all would drone on about how depressing it was, "how can you listen to that crap???" My oldest Son hates my Country music because it's depressing, as he says. I warned him that someday when dear old dad is long gone that he was gonna find himself playing it too to remember both me and the good old days... Decades later my older brother even turned on to it.

Suwanee

Chat Moderator
Staff member
This song dates back from the spring of my senior year of high school. It’s heavy on “the feels,” and not the type of lyrics most adolescent males visibly respond to, but I definitely heard what’s being said and adapted it at the time I was making the jump from high school to college…also a time when I was secretly dealing with CSA in some not-so-healthy ways.

It’s a song about fitting in and facing adulthood and adult things..maybe a few unknown demons while wishing you just had the familiar old kid fears of monsters in the closet…and maybe hinting that not all kid fears are innocent. The last line, “Hey kids, hold on” is a stark warning.
What’s more, the Indigo Girls are my neighbors…quite literally.

Will

Indigo Girls

Pain from pearls, hey little girl
How much have you grown?
Pain from pearls, hey little girl
Flowers for the ones you've known
Are you on fire
From the years?
What would you give for your
Kid fears?
Secret staircase (secret staircase), running high (running high)
You had a hiding place
Secret staircase (secret staircase), running low (running low)
They all know, now you're inside
Are you on fire
From the years?
What would you give for your
Kid fears?
Kid fears
Skipping stones, we know the price now
Any sin will do
How much further, if you can spin
How much further, if you are smooth
Are you on fire (are you on fire)
From the years? (from the years)