Moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadrian

Registrant
It’s been over five years since I had a really challenging time in my life which shook my whole world, threatening to end my marriage & send me backwards to a time when compulsions & impulsive decisions ruled my every thought. It was as if I came out of a world which was always dark, bleak & hopeless & entered into a bright world full of hope & various accomplishments before the floor disappeared & back into the despair I fell. Maybe that sounds melodramatic, but that’s how it was when my past reached into my present after I had been so successful at suppressing memories & repressing tendency’s to the point that I had forgotten all of it. Well, almost all of it. Then one day my phone rang & a member of my family of origin was on the line, happy to recapture the old days & asked me about my life after I ran away from home as a teenager. This just didn’t compute with who I was, but it all came back to me when this person happily recalled a nickname certain people had for me including those who abused me for years. I thought I might not recover after the ramifications of those memories exploded open in my mind. It was a long process of recovery for me & for my family, the family that I made with my wife.

Jump ahead to today & my life is just that. It’s mine. I choose how to live it. I have scars, sure, but scars are wounds that have healed. Nobody is threatening me or hurting me & im not desperate being in dire straits anymore. I went through some intense therapy & I faved all that I had determined to forget. I’m not healed. I’m not cured. I’m certainly not perfect. I still get triggered. I still have horrible dreams. I still feel self conscious around other people. But I will not let myself accuse me of being responsible for the bad things I experienced just because those who gave me those experiences said it was my fault. I ride a twenty mile round trip on my bike most everyday, I take care of my health, I take care of my family as a stay at home dad & I am happy these days. I have choices on how I let things affect me. This is the biggest part of my recovery. Nothing can derail me without my consent & I do not consent to being miserable. Every day I feel move positive. And everyday I smile. I hope that anyone who has similar experiences will one day feel the same & will determine to fight the good fight until they can determine that there is no need to fight because they have already won.

My best wishes for everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.