Media Depiction of PTSD

Hey Erik,

I have never read the book, but the movie "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" I found pretty accurate. Not perfect, obviously, and it had some very different details as far as what happened to me vs. what happened to characters in the movie. I remember seeing it for the first time and being overwhelmed by it. I was not expecting that part of the movie had to do with abuse, PTSD, etc. But I definitely thought the character's reactions, confusion, and overall feelings of overwhelmingness rang so true, based on my experience.

For the first time ever, I actually asked a few friends to watch the movie a couple weeks ago, and I explained that I think it might help them understand how overwhelming and confusing I have felt. I normally hate seeing depictions of PTSD or abuse in movies or TV, because I think they get it wrong so often. (Maybe every experience is different, and so I am wrong about that, but it's how I've felt.) The movie is about a 9th grader who doesn't understand that he is suffering from PTSD, btw.

Mr Robot - DID (part of PTSD) is well "slow burn" portrayed over the 4 seasons (spoiler alert they don't start the reveal until late Season 1)

Hey Erik,

I have never read the book, but the movie "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" I found pretty accurate. Not perfect, obviously, and it had some very different details as far as what happened to me vs. what happened to characters in the movie. I remember seeing it for the first time and being overwhelmed by it. I was not expecting that part of the movie had to do with abuse, PTSD, etc. But I definitely thought the character's reactions, confusion, and overall feelings of overwhelmingness rang so true, based on my experience.

For the first time ever, I actually asked a few friends to watch the movie a couple weeks ago, and I explained that I think it might help them understand how overwhelming and confusing I have felt. I normally hate seeing depictions of PTSD or abuse in movies or TV, because I think they get it wrong so often. (Maybe every experience is different, and so I am wrong about that, but it's how I've felt.) The movie is about a 9th grader who doesn't understand that he is suffering from PTSD, btw.
Thank you for your recommendation! One of my roommates is in love with that movie as he adores any/every coming of age movie. I'll have to give it a watch

Mr Robot - DID (part of PTSD) is well "slow burn" portrayed over the 4 seasons (spoiler alert they don't start the reveal until late Season 1)
Just recently started watching that one with my boyfriend. I think it is fantastic! We are at the end of season 2 I believe. Thanks NC

Just recently started watching that one with my boyfriend. I think it is fantastic! We are at the end of season 2 I believe. Thanks NC
glad you liked it - wait til S4!!! (yowza!!)