Léon: The Paedophile

Alonso

Registrant
Note: Not sure if this is the right subforum, I couldn't find one that fits the topic better.

A few weeks ago I was listening to random music in Youtube and came across Shape of my heart, by Sting. That made me feel a bit melancholic. This song is the soundtrack of the movie Léon: The Professional. I watched that movie about twenty years ago, maybe more, and I had a fond memory of it, so decided to watch it again. As I watched I grew increasingly uncomfortable. After a while I started to think that this is a movie for paedophiles. I googled and there it is: The director, Luc Besson is a padedophile indeed. According to this article,
Besson met the child actress Maïwenn when she was 12, the same age as Mathilda in the film. He was 29. They claim to have started seeing each other romantically when she turned 15. Maïwenn gave birth to their daughter when she was 16
15 is the age of consent in France, and it seems a bit too convenient that he starting "dating" her (more like abusing her) just after she became of legal age. Some more googling revealed that the movie that was finally released was very toned down. In the original script 13 year old Mathilda (in the script she's slightly older than in the movie) has sex with Léon, who is about 45. Maïwenn herself said that "When Luc Besson did Léon, the story of a 13-year-old girl in love with an older man, it was very inspired by us since it was written while our story started. But no media made the link…” Which is tantamount to acknowledging that their sexual relation started when she was that age. Nowadays Besson is one of the most powerful persons in the film business in Europe. Unsurprisingly, several women have accused him of rape.

This was so shocking. This movie was a resounding success around the world and received high praise from film critics everywhere. Apparently, not many people have worried about the fact that Besson is a known paedophile and his breakthrough movie was about a paedophilic affair. Worst of all was realizing that I didn't worry either. Back in the day I watched this movie because my sister loved it, and I also liked it quite a lot. I guess that a 12 year old having a romance with a middle aged man was no big deal back then. I was quite troubled to find out all of this, and I thought I'd share it here.

Jacob S

Registrant
I feel the same way. I used to be drawn to stories like this because I wanted to be loved. But they do not show the way to be loved properly (to use a line from the really excellent film "Rocket Man").

Alonso

Registrant
I guess that desire to be loved was what made me like the movie back in the day. Coming from an environment of incestuous child sexual abuse, I guess it "made sense" to me to associate the concepts of paedophile and caretaker. In the movie Léon definitely treats the child much better than my parents used to treat me, so I guess that I wanted to be that child. Apart from that, it was very disturbing to remember that it was my older sister who loved and recommended this movie so much. It suggests she might have also experienced CSA (in the case of my younger sister I know for sure, but in the case of the older one it's just a hunch).