Kobe Bryant - Rapist

Kobe Bryant - Rapist

manipulated

Staff member
The fawning, deification of Kobe since his death makes a mockery of the #metoo movement and shows that we still think that rape isn't that big of a deal.

I actually wasn't aware of this case, or that there ever was one In fact. The Lakers are my favorite team but I will not support a rapist. Thank you for bringing this to light

I actually wasn't aware of this case, or that there ever was one In fact. The Lakers are my favorite team but I will not support a rapist. Thank you for bringing this to light

Slate.com posted an article on referencing the rape case, and there were quite a few comments that it was "undignified" to mention it.

America is a nation of boot-lickers now, and as a whole we are willing to whitewash the worst behavior of pretty much any celebrity.

we are willing to whitewash the worst behavior of pretty much any celebrity.
QFT. God forbid that we mention horrible behavior from a just-deceased celebrity, who automatically attain sainthood on social media simply by the fact that they're now dead.

And by the way, there's apparently never an acceptable time to bring up sexual assaults or rapes by a dead celebrity, who apparently gets a pass forever on those kinds of things. See Michael Jackson, whose millions of rabid fans still send death threats with regularity to the victims who allowed themselves to be profiled in Leaving Neverland.

America is a nation of boot-lickers now, and as a whole we are willing to whitewash the worst behavior of pretty much any celebrity.
[/QUOTE]
America tends to act like death makes everything that someone did while they were alive disappear

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

If we are to believe in second chances for ourselves to repair the damage we've done out of our sexual trauma, I believe we should grant others an opportunity to make amends and change their lives. That moment in Kobe Bryant's life was 17 years ago. No he wasn't prosecuted so he didn't do time for whatever happened in that hotel room. Yes, he has had great privilege because of his fame and wealth. Had what happened in 2003 occurred now it might have been handled differently as we witness the Harvey Weinstein trial. We'll never know. But he seems to have learned a lesson that motivated him to be a better husband and father. I don't believe anyone is trying whitewash what happened in 2003 but then they don't wish to make that the ONLY measure of the man. While we may harbor hatred toward those who sexually abused us and may feel justice was never served on our behalf, I don't think making Kobe Bryant a villain does anything to relieve our pain.

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

If we are to believe in second chances for ourselves to repair the damage we've done out of our sexual trauma, I believe we should grant others an opportunity to make amends and change their lives. That moment in Kobe Bryant's life was 17 years ago. No he wasn't prosecuted so he didn't do time for whatever happened in that hotel room. Yes, he has had great privilege because of his fame and wealth. Had what happened in 2003 occurred now it might have been handled differently as we witness the Harvey Weinstein trial. We'll never know. But he seems to have learned a lesson that motivated him to be a better husband and father. I don't believe anyone is trying whitewash what happened in 2003 but then they don't wish to make that the ONLY measure of the man. While we may harbor hatred toward those who sexually abused us and may feel justice was never served on our behalf, I don't think making Kobe Bryant a villain does anything to relieve our pain.
And just what does his deidicationdo to his victim?

People are free to mourn whomever they please however they choose. Each day murderers are mourned; rapists are mourned; villains are mourned; ordinary people (whose awful secrets were never revealed) are mourned. Those who died were someone's son, father, daughter, mother, brother, sister, friend, idol etc. A victim's feelings don't dictate the way the world mourns.

We all know people differently and think of them differently. My primary abuser (the dad next door) was a well respected member of the community and when he died at the ripe old age of 85, many people posted comments and condolences on his online obituary. Of course they were positive because (1) that's what people do when someone dies, and (2) that's how people knew him. One comment in particular stuck in my head, the one describing him as a "prince of a fellow." He was no prince to me, but he was to others and that's how they knew him.

The victim is the one who gets to choose to forgive. or not.
The rest of us should stand for the victim.

I don't know what that word is Mani and I don't know the woman so I have no idea how she has come to terms with it all. Since she is not in the public eye her life is a pretty closed book. I certainly hope she has found a life that is meaningful for her. Obviously, Kobe's behavior in 2003 has received heightened attention with his passing. This sorry episode has not been ignored. And I'm not suggesting it be forgotten. I simply want to put it all into perspective. I hope that I not be judged forever because I married and divorced four women as a result of my failings as a husband unable to cope with CSA.

So I didn't know Kobe Bryant existed until he died in my culture we have lots of beliefs surrounding death.

I think it's extremely sad that children died in that crash and at least one mother now has to try and go on without her child
In our media this seems to of been lost in amongst hailing the man a sporting great. It shouldn't of been. We can only now imagine what they could of brought to this world! There family members deep in there grief will remember what they brought to the world in there short time here

I feel society has completely lost direction when one life is hailed above another especially one that committed an atrocious act he is no " better" than anyone of those people on board it is no more tragic that he died than anyone else that day across the world for those who didn't 'know' him

People will mourn the person THEY knew they can't do anything else but mourn from there own position
But my belief is we shouldn't idolise any one human

When my best pal passed suddenly in 2018 what I admired most was his family's honesty

I don't think we should speak ill of the dead but I do think we should speak honestly about there life and death. To erase any one bit is to give a half story.

Did my pal once take his brothers bicycle , yes he absolutely did do that. Did he also raise thousands of pounds for charity , indeed he did that too.
Was he an annoying little brother absolutely , but did his nieces and nephews adore him , yes completely.
Should his brother never mention again the impact of the theft upon there relationship should he never mention what brotherly love helped them to over come long term should he tell only half the story , I don't think so.

In the case in question I don't think we should white wash what occurred either and the media as usual is telling less than half a story in my opinion and I think if we say anything it should be the whole story

My pal was a great person who made mistakes but also owned those mistakes in life so I'm sure he wasn't afraid to own them in death either

Peace
HL

You walked into a hornet's nest Dave. The topic of Michael Jackson and the documentary about his treatment of children is much discussed on this website. Your comment intended to make one point led to you're being called out for another comment you made. You and I may not have been there, but men who were have spoken publicly about it and honestly; Michael Jackson may have been an exciting performer but it is beyond doubt that he is a predator and he deserves every bit of anger expressed by men here who are healing from their own trauma. I think it best that you retire from this conversation since the damage is already done.

I am just seeing this post now, and it saddens me. @JustDave spoke his truth. I can understand that others do not agree. But instead getting respectful statements of disagreement from fellow survivors, he got clobbered and shown the door. He disagreed but was not disagreeable. He never attacked anyone personally yet himself endured enough personal attack that he felt unsafe and closed his posts. And that is simply not right.

I spent my preteen-teen years defending my abuser, and continued to defend him in so many different ways, so I can understand Dave's words on that level. Some of us continue to do that. It's simply how we survived psychically. For some of us, we still cannot internalize what we have been through and perhaps we project that questioning disbelief into other arenas. When I shared my story for the first time aloud, I could hardly endure the words that left my lips and hit my own ears - as if hearing it all for the first time. I lived with those secrets for years - but hearing them escape my own lips stopped me in my tracks - I tried to keep talking - but choked on my own words. I didn't see that coming. It was the first time in my life I cried over it. So many of us are at different places in our healing. Everyone should enjoy the safety of this place to share their thoughts, even if they fall short of finding validation.

Apologizing for rapists is not the same as questioning if someone is a rapist. I was an invited guest to the first screening of Leaving Neverland and the taping of the Oprah Winfrey interview with survivors Wade Robson and James Safechuck and filmmaker Dan Reed. No-one could be more convinced than me that Michael Jackson was guilty of sexual abuse with these boys (now grown men). But Dave was fully within the bounds of appropriate sharing to question it and to state that he remains unconvinced. I disagree with him as vigorously as I would fight for his right to be heard.

And while no-one apologized for rapists in this thread, the fact is that hating the abuser is not a litmus test for sharing in the forums. Nor is it a barometer for measuring how bad one's abuse was. We each come here having survived our own traumas. We have navigated the best we knew how - often on our own with little more than the toolbox of the kids we were. We walked the healing paths that have made the most sense for us. And those paths are often so very different. For some it is a path of anger. For others, a path of deference. Still others skirt a path of denial. And others find a path of forgiveness. There is no right or wrong. Every path that respects others and honors consent and decency and site guidelines should be supported if possible, respected in any case, and never flamed. I am not just saying that as a moderator. I am saying it as another survivor standing shoulder to shoulder here with all of you.

@C. E. (Chase Eric) - I assume that as the administrator you can see deleted posts. I can't. But I will fully uphold my part in this situation. I felt strongly that JustDave was doing more than questioning whether Kobe and MJ were rapists - he was slagging on the people here who claim they are (and of course I am one of these people). Unacceptable in my view and I make no apologies.