KK)

tommyb

Registrant
(a chapter)

(morning)

"You will forgive us," he says. Youngin.

Once, in the early days, 'was at the pizza place across the street from the grocery. The man sat down deliberately, loudly, beside me, at the bar, though it is mostly empty. Balding, maybe fifty-ish; forceful. 'Doesn't take an hour to read one page of a magazine, when most of it is photograph. But this guy, was intent. The headline: "Grave Consequences."

'Think the bartender knew, a kind one, she left it to me. 'Stayed silent. 'Continued with my food. Locals can be fascinating. Back then, it was all: Why is the government putting me through OCS without asking me. What is going on. Then 'stopped to eat. 'Would graduate. The censorship of social media by American presidents now remains off the table which is a good outcome. Quite the graduation. Commander Kenley says my OCS was three months. It was four. Remember the stories Enlisted overhears of OCS ... All that happened.

Youngin doesn't know Dawn took advantage of the railroad days to put a hit out on me. He doesn't know my sisters signed on. Anything to get away with the harrowing, knowing Mrs. Obama would be super-racist; how females play each other... Poor Obama, poor Trump, poor Biden; they never saw it coming. Like the cops, social workers, and observant teachers, they suspected something dark was going on, maybe due to some detail they couldn't let go, only they couldn't get past the females. My relatives and I only have that in common: that sense of entitlement to kill. It's emotion, intellectual, down to abstract thoughts. There's nothing wrong with being a killer. 'Was the better killer. The boy killed for them, for my sisters' safety. 'Know it was murder 'cause it was technically premeditated. 'Know they've got that on me. Carolina clay don't play. The second time, God sent rain. Youngin doesn't know 'would never trade God's Country for the world. Those sunrises, those sunsets, those lightning strike storms, the boy running around trying to get as close as possible to hear the hiss, those afternoons trying to catch Fall leaves before they hit the ground. God's Country always shined all around, even when the sun had set.

Spooks spook closer than Youngin thinks. He doesn't have a Secret Security Clearance. He doesn't know how to handle one's self while being stalked, not to mention, worse. He doesn't know the other mediums are simply trying to apply pressure. He doesn't know the Intelligence Community had formerly signed on, then they realized ... and stepped off, away from Presidents. Now it's mindless pressure. The other mediums must've been in awe, but really they already knew a percentage of American radio waves remain the military's. 'Similar for broadcasting. Especially during the Cold War, things get complex. Networks like ABC, NBC, and CBS have been decided upon. The government allows civilian access to broadcasting as long as they perform the actual duty of journalism, etcetera. 'Have heard many talking heads were simply shown a card with words on it, knowing to work the wink or pocket word in, oblivious of meaning. Nothing's ever truly forgotten. Even McCarthyism can be used for good, as a skill set. They took out Weinstein, thankfully. All is rumor ...

"The Americans are good people."

It never occurs to Youngin the railroad was mostly Americans.

"You've got to start living your life."

Last edited:

tommyb

Registrant
_________

(early twenties)

We yard-selled together, earlyish, Saturday morning. The convertible was like a truck. Extraordinary objects could be transported.

"So Rose is a college educated social worker," she says, driving. "I'm a bartender."

"You," she says. Grace. It was early. Saturday morning. "You're gonna be famous some day."

She didn't look at me when she said it, she looked away. 'Heard her words. She looked at the wind.

Maybe 'was twenty ... 'Should've seen her expression. All that pain.

"You're gonna leave us behind."

Last edited:

tommyb

Registrant
_________

(Monday, 28DEC2020)

"Always wear the N95 mask," John says.

"John, these people will kill you. They're the most shallow, sellfish, insecure, superficial, materialistic people on earth. They'll kill you so they can get to lunch on time, or end of shift."

"They're bad people."

"Exactly. You must protect yourself." They don't want to have to carry meal trays to the non-Covid rooms. It's a Covid ward where people die. He's Caucasian, we come across as hardier, only it's John.

"But they're nice."

"John, they're trying to kill you."

"Always wear the N95 mask when on a Covid ward. I can do that."

Last edited:

tommyb

Registrant

(Monday, 4JAN021)

(upon waking)

In Logistics. It's called ... "Always cover your Arse."

Not because they know there is a God. Because they know there is human.

'Kissenger, pointing, toward the outfield and empty stands, the field's bright lights:

"What's wrong with an open door policy, concerning a free man, and there so capable of bravery," he says, then points at the three bases. "In foreign diplomacy everyone's simply covering their bases."

Last edited:

tommyb

Registrant

(Wednesday, 6JAN2021)

(upon waking)

'Shifted from the grocery. 'Not as syfy as the hospital. With its plague expansions and astronaut-ish suits; the pandemic marks all around, arrows and signs, them in face masks, but for the familiar. 'Like reflex 'touch what's left of the mark on upper forehead.

Some unfamiliars shift into others. As they move along with their shopping carts, a thin brunette becomes a healthy blonde, while examining live basil. A college-aged kid catches a plastic bottle of dressing from another, with that quickness older want them to be proud of, his beanie askew, shifts into a young Asian woman, examining her cart. The sounds of their voices never grate, never jar. They wear masks, noisily, but clear. The ones not wearing masks are quick, spotted like an attractive female, approaching at the corner of one's eye. Willahford, buying an apple, shifts into Royal buying an apple, though Royal is taller. Dakota turns into Levi. Obama into Trump. And back again. Only they all, the familiars, speak in Kissenger's voice, low and gravelly with its ... Awareness.

Darreyell never shifts, while maneuvering bins, surrounded by harvest-lit shelves. He turns toward the grocery aisles, toward the left. 'Was supposed to find red onion.

"So the Americans are corrupt for now," Kissenger says as Darreyell grabs a Mountain Dew, with that bashful smile he has. "Let it play out."

"It's been twelve years," 'say back to him, looking around for maskless faces. "And more arriving."

Paul shifts into Ray, then both grandpas, over by the chopping counter, though one still lives.

"Never take your eyes off the ball."

Last edited:

tommyb

Registrant

(Friday, 8JAN2021)

(waking)

Americans stormed the Capital Wednesday simply to prove that it could be done. No one wanted to shoot them. They got as far as the Rotunda and plenty of other places.

Businesses must condone the show of strength, though it ratchets up politics. The oligarchs have bonded over their not being dukes and duchesses but the founding fathers' dream of a republic. Even sports networks felt compelled to show the footage, get out the news. It used to be one would be invited to a dinner party, where Bush's and Laden's would play some golf, eat good food, handle business affairs, like being in a Shakespearean play, where something happens, then nine-eleven, then war propaganda, soldiers off to war and no one's the wiser. Now the civilians must deal with themselves. Fix their own problems. The oligarchs do not have the luxury of killing American soldiers.

China landed like this. Diplomatic cables were tricky, have been, for at least twenty years. Businesses had to deal with China, in order to move forward, keep bases covered, only China was corrupt, stealing trade secrets, including technology. The American government must pay lip service so American business continues growing, while mixing metaphors when speaking foreign policy. The businesses were telling them, off camera, to crack down on China's corruption, while those in office watched the situation deteriorating, and felt they could do little.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled," Ralph Ellison says. "And humanity is won by continuing to play in face of certain defeat."

"... Had the price of looking been blindness, I would have looked. "

Last edited: