Introversion

Introversion

Dre

Registrant
I'm an introvert. I can socialize fine with people, although it often leaves me drained. But in day-to-day interactions, I'm fine with people. Every so often though, I need to take a day away from everyone, and just re-set my mind somewhat. So I do that, turn off the phone and take off by myself for some hours and just quiet my mind down a bit. And come back able to handle the world and the people in it again.

Problem is, there are some folks in my life who take offense at these little self-care vacations, and don't understand the need for them. I've tried explaining, but sometimes that doesn't work either, and people just get offended that I"m "ignoring" them or something. How do you get across to someone that this has nothing to do with them, just it has to do with me and my mind and soul and needs? I don't want to hurt people in my life, but frankly, I'm tired of being hurt as well.

Remind impatient "friends" that it's not about them. Tell them, "Trust me -- It's in YOUR best interest that I take time for MYself."

It's not friends, it's my adoptive parents who don't fully understand my needs for time alone, and are used to being able to talk or text with me whenever the need or desire arises. And I do understand they're older, and things can happen, etc. It's not like I'm stepping away from everyone for weeks at a time, it's generally just 8-12 hours once every few months. But sometimes I guess that's offensive.

Hi Dre im not someone I would consider an Introvert... well I don't want to think I am, because I want to go out and see the world and explore but at the same time, I cant bring myself to the idea of going out and seeing others, even though I like to meet new people. One of my friends call it Social batteries, that they just need silence to recharge and its true I get that way. To the point I have to be just by myself watch a goofy tv show that makes me laugh on the inside and just be away from people. Last Christmas I was alone for the whole period as family was away, and I noticed there was days where I didn't even say a word, I just did what I wanted and watched my shows and relaxed and I enjoyed it all quite sounds sad to many but I needed the brake from everyone.

Take every chance you can to relax to yourself, but at the same time there is one thing I can say... Take every chance with the people you care about even if it drains you. I have lost alot of people in my life and realized because of my abuse I avoided time with them, not because they reminded me or it was them, but because I needed time to lock myself away and heal... some of those friends arent here anymore and I feel worse now for not letting myself be drained on that day then I do now knowing ill never get to see them again.

Time is the most preciouses thing we have, its way more valuable then anymore. Maybe alot time for each person... like Tuesdays I go with bob for lunch, Thursdays I have dinner with my family, thats how I deal with things

Dre, you seem quite able to express your predicament clearly. If you've told them what you've told us, and they don't understand, maybe try to educate them. There's got to be psychological research that backs up what you're trying to get through to them, so it may help to find some and print it out for them if you can't seem to tell them yourself. If your adoptive parents are just not having it, and remain offended, at least you tried. You should focus on your own needs first though. If they freak out because they can't deal with giving you a day off, that's their problem.
Just my opinion.

Even as a preschooler, I needed time alone to myself. People are a drain.

Maybe, you should tell them you'll be out of pocket for 8 to 12 hours, and will call them when you get back.

My mother would gripe that my land line was busy. A. She only wanted to gripe about others. B. I didn't care. C. I told her I paid the bill, and would stay on the computer as much as I wanted too.