IN RRTP FOR PTSD **NEED ADVICE**

IN RRTP FOR PTSD **NEED ADVICE**

grayONE

Registrant
Well my story is already up for those who need that information. I came to RRTP to get a handle on my life and symptoms. Its not going well though. Even though Im a combat veteran Im finding myself being single out by other vets and staff. These guys have no idea about my life but must have enough info to passive aggressively take shots at me. Its fucking up my whole vibe, dealing with these 2 issues in my life. What other options do I have? ST wasnt in military, I dont see the purpose of continuing this program if the group has it out for me? Please quick advice this is an active issue.

I lived in residential type of life change counseling and coaching back when I was 17. It was a very difficult situation and I was scapegoated by 1 guy, a year older. I was put through a day of hell, and given undeserved punishment, before they finally realized their error. I was not given an apology, nor made to feel justified that I was indignant and against their actions against me the whole time. So, if you have complaints about RRTP, I think I understand. The other guys were in it to have a scapegoat, to distract their incidences of breaking rules. I finally suffered that one time, but the kind of counseling back in 1978-79 they would scream in our face if we were not satisfactory replying to the group. It was some kind of MAN-up group aggression therapy? I don't know, it was bullshit. We were meant to be broken down, to find some flaw of our personality and be corrected by force? I never got it and resented it all my life.

So, does this help you? I don't know? I eventually got my GED, got a job, an apartment and lived on my own, isolated at late 17, I was 18 in less than 2 months. So, again, I'm not sure the start of this helps you, but I now RRTP and I didn't like it. I also know healing for the sexual trauma I have had. I think that healing is doable for sexual trauma. Now, I am not a veteran, and therefore haven't a reference to your combat. I'm sorry. We do share things though. ptsd is a commonality for us. From that perspective I would speak. There are real good therapies for dealing with the ptsd, but many VA health facilities I've read online, haven't impressed me greatly? Though I think there might be good intentions? You would know better than I? I read only. So, I think men's group for sexual violence survivors, like the one I have been to, with trained facilitators, does help. I was helped.

Please add some more about your RRTP experience and therapy?

Thanks! Its focused on combat trauma. No problem I couldnt qualify to be in the program if that wasnt the case. I also have the SA from childhood, recently surfaced hard and I brung it all here. Its all PTSD correct??? But the focus is strictly combat. Thats fine, its CPT with other shit mixed in. But these guys are coming at me on some "Man" bs. A group of grown men cackling about my percieved issues like school kids. As if they are trying to get me to act out or flip out.

If there are any adult groups for males, it's going to be rare in my experience. Google might get you the best chance to find out if SC has any in your area? I would think a good therapist at the VA might know if men at the VA want to meet about SA for men? I say "good" because there are those who don't get this. Therapists have to have trained to get the ptsd about SA, because it's slightly different. Though shame, guilt are the same, it seems we blame ourselves a lot, and don't always want to see that the love lost from our trauma was a consequence of the symptoms we have from the SA ptsd.

Yes, I think the ptsd is close enough, hyper vigilance, hyper noise sensitivity, to afraid to trust, missing love, neglected, all stuff that overlaps. So, what I would wonder is, there has to be an office in the house, who oversees the therapy aspect of the RRTP mission. So, can you get a one on one with them; and talk over what you want to say here, so you're ready?

Its not likely. They were very vocal about this strictly being combat related. So saying anything else about the other trauma would be a red flag for them.

I'm sorry about the strict rules of RRTP, but I get it. Mine was very strict, like I described. Rules fed their directives and the guys seemed to play them. Guys like me, timid, followed the rules, and didn't know if there was an agenda. Later I discovered there was.

What I do know about RRTP from the standpoint of mission, it's to get the clients to move toward self reliance, and find means to integrate back into the kind of living that needs less structure that the RRTP provides. However, it's so connected to those who inhabit the place with us, they can be a big hindrance toward gaining the confidence and new personal structure that the mission intends. I think you've described a place where the rigidity of the intent has gotten bent a bit out of shape when you, reasonably, tried to seek some support for SA via a connection of Male Sexual Trauma group. They're not willing, and the structure supports their unwillingness. So, the group gets to decide. That's my experience. I'm really sorry they're so rigid. It would really benefit all men to connect to what makes us vulnerable, and discussions about our sexual traumas would open discussion for us to explore our vulnerability.

You're safe here, keep at it, you'll get ideas. Glad you're trying.

Yeah, I did a quick search about MST, and it does mention it was for what happened in the Military. But, if you have a ptsd therapist and bring it up, the MST section mentions that there is a very large number of men who discuss having some type of sexual harassment or trauma in the military. Now, from other statistics, childhood is worse, in that 1 in 6 boys experience something. So, that overlap indicates that it's very likely the ptsd therapists are aware that some of the men in therapy are bringing up childhood sexual traumas, CSA. So, if there is anyone to ask, it seems it would be the ptsd therapist.

Recall I mentioned not all therapists get this. I think the MST therapists who deal with ptsd would be the best to ask. There might be men's groups, sort of under the radar in some way? I could imagine Vets trying to help out, like the brotherhood I see here at MS. I can imagine there will be some who would try to consider the need for CSA men's group?

GrayONE, Here's where I looked at the MST experiences at the VA.

This looked helpful so I'm adding it:
•DoD Safe Helpline: DoD Safe Helpline is a crisis support service for members of the DoD community affected by sexual assault. Through the Safe Helpline, you can “click, call or text” to receive anonymous one-on-one advice, support, and information 24/7. You can go to www.safehelpline.org for a live chat or to view resources. From anywhere in the world, you can call 877-995-5247, or text your zip code or base/installation name to 55-247 inside the US (202-470-5546 outside the US) to get the contact information for your nearest Sexual Assault Response Coordinator.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really dont know myself. I was adressing my combat trauma, but really using the tools for both. However I didnt even get that far after dealing with these dudes for the time I been here. So ill move one and create another plan.