Identity

Sawyer49

Registrant
I wrote this as a response in a thread but wanted to share this with every guy here.

We are made in the image of God we have three parts to ourselves the spirit, the soul and our body. We are not just physical beings having temporary spiritual experiences. We are eternal spiritual beings having a temporary physical experience i.e. our time on this Earth.

In today's society I believe we are told erroneously to find our identity in what we do be it our jobs, who we sleep with (sexuality) or by what we are to others son brother father but all of this is really a very small part of who we are. Even being a survivor while a part of who I am it does not define whose I am. I am a new creature, I am a child of a King. It is Christ to whom I belong that I know who I am and whose I am...please realize you are indeed a prince designed to live eternally. When we grasp on to knowing not only who we are but whose we are it helps answer so many questions of Identity.

He loves you

Sawyer

Donald177

Registrant
Sawyer, thank you for sharing your words of wisdom. God's Word says to love others as we love ourselves. If we don't love ourselves, it's difficult to love others the way God loves us. Some days, I fall short on loving myself and knowing who and whose I am. I know that is satan firing his darts at me and I fall for it oh so quickly. Then, other brothers come alongside me and they show me love, compassion, support, and they speak truth into me. Then, I am reminded how much God loves me (us) and it gives me that boost that I need to keep fighting the good fight. I am reminded in those moments who I am and whose I am. Thank you for your sharing. I needed to read your words today.

Many blessings,
Donald

I don't think of myself as a Christian so I'd likely make a few word changes to describe my experience but otherwise it is exactly as you say. I've posted this before... from the Upanishad which is a Hindu text that is thousands of years old.

Two birds, one of them mortal, the other immortal, live in the same tree. The first one pecks at the fruit, sweet or bitter; the second looks on without eating. Thus the personal self pecks at the fruit of this world, bewildered by suffering, always hungry for more. But when he meets the True Self, the resplendent God, the source of creation, all his cravings are stilled. Perceiving Self in all creatures, he forgets himself in the service of all; good and evil both vanish; delighting in Self, playing like a child with Self, he does whatever is called for, whatever the result.

Self is everywhere, shining forth from all beings, vaster than the vast, subtler than the most subtle, unreachable, yet nearer than breath, than heartbeat. Eye cannot see it, ear cannot hear it nor tongue utter it; only in deep absorption can the mind, grown pure and silent, merge with the formless truth. He who finds it is free; he has found himself; he has solved the great riddle; his heart forever is at peace. Whole, he enters the Whole. His personal self returns to its radiant, intimate, deathless source. As rivers lose name and form when they disappear into the sea, the sage leaves behind all traces when he disappears into the light. Perceiving the truth, he becomes the truth; he passes beyond all suffering, beyond death; all the knots of his heart are loosed.

Mundaka Upanishad, III.1.1-2.9
1500 B.C.E.
quoted in
The Enlightened Heart, edited by
Stephen Mitchell

Sawyer49

Registrant
Donald,

In the short time I have been here you have on several occasions spoken truth to me. Thank you for our conversations, prayers for my healing and I am praying for you. He loves you, and your his child and are a light in my life.

Sawyer

Sawyer49

Registrant
Thank you Sawyer. I agree with everything you said.

Jaxson,

So glad we are friends, and thank you for the prayers and talks continuing in prayer this week for your healing and treatment.

Secondly I know the days ahead are tough it is my hope that as much pain in loss that your feeling you celebrate knowing your friend and keep hold of the memories I hope they help you through this.

Sawyer49

Registrant
Visitor,

Thank you for your words, and the parable of the birds. Each of us are immortal it can get confusing because our bodies definitely are mortal but we are more than just a body. Created by God to have a soul, spirit and body. There will be a day that evil will be defeated and not be around anymore but that will be when we meet our Father face to face. Many religions teach things that we are required to do to reach or be like God. Christianity is about a relationship between a child and the Son of the Living God Christ, while even many Christian's believe the lie that they have to do deeds to reach God being a Christian you realize it is God that reaches you.

He reached out to me gave his life to adopt me as a son a child of God. It is His desire for all to know and walk in a relationship. He loves you Visitor

God bless

Sawyer

I'm pleased for you Sawyer. Sadly the Christian church founded by my parents and a few other families leaned heavily on the hell and damnation (fall/redemption) theme that has run through Christianity for centuries. It is still prevalent in many denominations and practiced around the world, often with tragic consequences. Saying the words "I am by nature sinful and unclean" each Sunday was not helpful to a traumatized boy who was acting out his abuse. I needed to escape Christianity to survive. Blessedly, there are other messages that are more life affirming found in the great spiritual traditions of the world. Later in life I encountered a more generous Christian message, something akin to what you've found. I was pleased by that but not so much that I've felt motivated to renew my commitment to that faith. But deep respect for those who find comfort there. This is what we're all hoping to find on this great adventure of being human. It, of course, becomes especially challenging when we have a history of trauma that is generally laced with shame we will wish to come to terms with if we are to heal. Blessings to you and yours Sawyer.

Sawyer49

Registrant
Visitor,

I'm sorry you went through that, it is sad that it was drilled into you and I realize how that would effect us. I was not raised in church myself. My parents were scared because on military bases multiple religions are all around you. I came to know God after my abuse but just before college.
He loves you visitor. No matter what you were told you were the value he places on us was enough to die for you and I.

God bless

Yes, under different circumstances I might have joined you Sawyer. It is funny spending time in 12 Step rooms and hearing about all the Protestants, Catholics and Jews who are estranged from the religions they grew up with because of the shame induced by how those faiths were delivered in churches and synagogues across the country and around the world. One of the attractions of the 12 Steps is we are invited to create the "God of our understanding." We also "take what you like and leave the rest." It becomes much easier to find a relationship with a "Higher Power" when it is not pre-packaged and delivered by someone who claims to be an authority. Finding serenity through spiritual practice is a possibility available to us all. Where we find it is always a mystery that could simply be called grace. Grace is by nature without definition or it becomes dogma. I often find it in the midst of a grove of redwood trees, some of which are thousand years old. Imagine that!

Sawyer49

Registrant
We share that out doors the places I feel it the most are gazing at the stars on a fall night that's just cold enough to see my breath. The other place would be sunrise at the beach with waves constant the sound and repeating of those waves is a picture of His grace and love washing over us.