Husband 25 Years of Abuse

Husband 25 Years of Abuse

Flawife

Registrant
Hi, my husband revealed his abuse to me days ago. I’m still in shock because the abuser has been a big part of our lives. I hope to find advice on this forum. Thank you in advance.

Hello Flawife!

Welcome and I am sorry for what the two of you are going through. My wife was shocked as you were when I told her

We have a Friends & Family forum where you can get this advice. Survivors and other families can offer advice there

My prayers are with you and your husband

Chad

@Flawife I am so sorry that you and your husband are walking such a difficult road. If you will permit me to offer a few thoughts:

That he shared it with you is likely a sign of trust and respect. Saying the words is admitting to something which is a great source of shame for most of us.

He will need your support. And you will need your own support as well.

This is a great place of folks who are understanding and supportive. Take care. I wish strength for you and your husband.

Hi Flawife

Welcome to MS. I feel you have made a good choice to reach out here. I would agree with Greg that him sharing it with you shows he does trust and respect you.

It is hard to know what is coming next as we are all at different stages, Coming here and talking with others does help. for you and for him. Has he reached out for professional help Therapy and Psychiatric care does help even though it is hard to reach out like that it is a good move. It really depends on the individual and what is going on now. My Psychiatrist has helped to explain things to me and got me back onto medications that are helping me after 18 years without.

Would your husband be someone how would come here and maybe read a little and talk if he felt like it but reading here can be very validating and really does show you that you are not alone.

Thank you for reaching out on his behalf.
Take good care
Esterio

@Flawife I am so sorry that you and your husband are walking such a difficult road. If you will permit me to offer a few thoughts:

That he shared it with you is likely a sign of trust and respect. Saying the words is admitting to something which is a great source of shame for most of us.

He will need your support. And you will need your own support as well.

This is a great place of folks who are understanding and supportive. Take care. I wish strength for you and your husband.
Thank you, Greg.

Last edited:
Thank you Estero. I’ve sent him articles and he is just beginning to process that he has nothing to be ashamed of and the abuser is not the person that we thought she was. I have told him about the forum. We are both still in the early stages of processing what has happened.

Hi Flawife

Welcome to MS. I feel you have made a good choice to reach out here. I would agree with Greg that him sharing it with you shows he does trust and respect you.

It is hard to know what is coming next as we are all at different stages, Coming here and talking with others does help. for you and for him. Has he reached out for professional help Therapy and Psychiatric care does help even though it is hard to reach out like that it is a good move. It really depends on the individual and what is going on now. My Psychiatrist has helped to explain things to me and got me back onto medications that are helping me after 18 years without.

Would your husband be someone how would come here and maybe read a little and talk if he felt like it but reading here can be very validating and really does show you that you are not alone.

Thank you for reaching out on his behalf.
Take good care
Esterio