How do you deal with unexpected bouts of anger?

How do you deal with unexpected bouts of anger?

Kilowog

Registrant
I just recently began this journey called healing after decades of covering it up and covering for the perpetrators...To the point that I even glorified one of them, my father, to my the family I built in adulthood. It has only been recently that my wife knew the whole story and my adult daughters have found out any of it. Til now they have never questioned me or doubted me..Our house's number one rule has always been, no secrets or lies. I grew up in a house of lies and I wasn't raising my children in one. They all adhered to this rule, while I carried the biggest secret of all...One that could actually harm them, which thankfully never happened...This and all the truths I'm being forced to face, and the fact I'm questioning everything including my entire life, seems to be bringing out a non-violent but verbally aggressive anger I never felt before. Especially when I'm challenged or questioned. I currently have learned to leave the room and compose myself, but it takes quite a while to quiet the chorus in my head... So my questions are this..

1)Has anyone else had this reaction after starting the healing process or at anytime in the journey to survivor?

2) Does anyone have any techniques to help deal with these type of bouts?

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited:
I just recently began this journey called healing after decades of covering it up and covering for the perpetrators...To the point that I even glorified one of them, my father, to my the family I built in adulthood. It has only been recently that my wife knew the whole story and my adult daughters have found out any of it. Til now they have never questioned me or doubted me..Our house's number one rule has always been, no secrets or lies. I grew up in a house of lies and I wasn't raising my children in one. They all adhered to this rule, while I carried the biggest secret of all...One that could actually harm them, which thankfully never happened...This and all the truths I'm being forced to face, and the fact I'm questioning everything including my entire life, seems to be bringing out a non-violent but verbally aggressive anger I never felt before. Especially when I'm challenged or questioned. I currently have learned to leave the room and compose myself, but it takes quite a while to quiet the chorus in my head... So my questions are this..

1)Has anyone else had this reaction after starting the healing process or at anytime in the journey to survivor?

2) Does anyone have any techniques to help deal with these type of bouts?

Thanks,
Ken
I wish I had advice or counsel for you, but, I would love to hear some perspectives as well, frankly.

Thanks to my group last night I've found that these bouts of anger are common in the beginning of this process of healing. Many said it will pass as you take strides forward in healing and in some ways forgiving yourself. Right now that's what I'm clinging to and just hoping I will eventually, and safely, reach that point in my recovery.