Hello

Hello

Olddog

Registrant
Hello, I'm new to the group. I'm a 55-year-old sexual abuse survivor. I was sexually abused by an adult male neighbor when I was around the age of 9 or 10. Over the years I compartmentalized my experience and simply moved forward with my life. I normalized the depression, lack of self-worth, numbness, and all the other negative consequences of my experience. I've raised a family, I have an amazing wife, and I've been professionally successful. How and the hell I managed all that I'll never know. Unfortunately, COVID threw me into a tailspin that landed me in therapy for the first time and caused a nervous breakdown. I was able to hide the seriousness of how bad I was from my wife, friends, therapist, and work. I simply soldiered on somehow. I was able to get back on my feet emotionally and kept moving forward...I'm a survivor, that's what we do. I've reached out to a couple of friends recently; and shared my story, in an attempt to finally deal with this. I've come to realize that I've paid a heavy price for putting this off for so long.

Welcome to MS! I'm sorry for what you experienced as a child. Many of us buried what happened to us for a long time, in some cases a lifetime, but it was always lingering in the background. I'm glad you are seeking therapy for yourself & have worked up the courage to take on this journey for yourself. You deserve to heal from what was done to you, & you will find lots of support & understanding for what you went thru & what you are gaming thru now. Best of luck to you moving forward & take care of yourself!

@Olddog, I glad you found us, but at the same time sorry for the reasons why. I too kept my abuse suppressed for way to long.
Not wanting to face and in denial. Married, raised a family had a successful business but I struggled with finding true happiness!
I wish you the best on this journey you are entering. I feel that with the help of your family, your T and friends you can make great strides.
Please look around the forum and read stories about other men and there experiences, it can be very moving to realize your not alone
in this and we are here to help. Hope and Peace! LRD

Welcome to MS! I'm sorry for what you experienced as a child. Many of us buried what happened to us for a long time, in some cases a lifetime, but it was always lingering in the background. I'm glad you are seeking therapy for yourself & have worked up the courage to take on this journey for yourself. You deserve to heal from what was done to you, & you will find lots of support & understanding for what you went thru & what you are gaming thru now. Best of luck to you moving forward & take care of yourself!
Thanks for the wonderful comment. I truly appreciate it.

@Olddog, I glad you found us, but at the same time sorry for the reasons why. I too kept my abuse suppressed for way to long.
Not wanting to face and in denial. Married, raised a family had a successful business but I struggled with finding true happiness!
I wish you the best on this journey you are entering. I feel that with the help of your family, your T and friends you can make great strides.
Please look around the forum and read stories about other men and there experiences, it can be very moving to realize your not alone
in this and we are here to help. Hope and Peace! LRD
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I truly appreciate it.

I echo what the others have said, so a warm welcome to you, from a group of men who can only truly understand what happened to you, what it was like, and what it is like now. Congratulations on beginning to work on your healing journey, as painful as it may be at times. It is all very worth it, and very freeing in the long run.

It is also very common amongst the members here that they suppressed their abuse for years and years, and were able to "fake it" through life, being successful in business and raising a family, but the depression and other factors kept pushing relentlessly to the surface, no matter how hard we pushed back at them. Very common for men in their 40's, 50's, 60's and beyond to finally face the truth of their boyhood/teenhood/adulthood sexual abuses.

You are not alone! Feel free to reach out to anyone.

I echo what the others have said, so a warm welcome to you, from a group of men who can only truly understand what happened to you, what it was like, and what it is like now. Congratulations on beginning to work on your healing journey, as painful as it may be at times. It is all very worth it, and very freeing in the long run.

It is also very common amongst the members here that they suppressed their abuse for years and years, and were able to "fake it" through life, being successful in business and raising a family, but the depression and other factors kept pushing relentlessly to the surface, no matter how hard we pushed back at them. Very common for men in their 40's, 50's, 60's and beyond to finally face the truth of their boyhood/teenhood/adulthood sexual abuses.

You are not alone! Feel free to reach out to anyone.
Thanks for the response.