He Abused My Mind (possible triggers)

He Abused My Mind (possible triggers)
I've been in intense discussions with several of the men of this group who have been kind to share their experiences and perspectives with me. I've been pouring out my soul to some of them. I fear, at times, that they will see how uncomfortable I really am. But I feel so relieved when I share my experiences. And they calm my anxieties about sharing these distressful things. One man told me that he felt my rapist wanted to fuck with my mind.

And now after recalling the things the rapists did to me with the leader giving them all of these instructions, I realize he was trying to get into my head and to hurt me in a way that I could not forget. In a way that would tie WORDS to SENSATIONS. It impacted me so much that I cannot stop hearing the words over and over and over in my mind.

I'm learning from different men here, that these words, along with certain sensations and feelings are my Triggers. I have never read anywhere where a person has spoke of their rapist saying words to get into their victim's head. To tie that word to the sensation of what he was doing. It was almost as if the rapist was laying a minefield for me by placing words there and the word was the trigger and the bomb was the sensation. I don't know how else to explain it.

I keep trying to understand it because I can't forget the words. A person cannot forget words. And yet it crucifies me every day to remember them. I do dissociate but not as in the way a person with clinical dissociative disorder would do. I hear the word and go straight to the feeling or sensation and it causes me to almost black out. Sometimes, if I think about what he told me in my ears over and over while he was beating, raping and jerking me my eyes and mind are completely glazed over. Then I realize suddenly that I've completely shaved but was zoned out the entire time. I go somewhere else in my mind but not sure where that is. All I know is it all starts with me remembering the different words he would say. I know he did that to me on purpose.

I can say one or two of the words in my writing only as long as I don't tell anyone what they are. Several of them I can't allow myself to even say or think. Writing them is as close it gets for me to confronting them. I swear, I hate him. I hate him for doing this to me. For wrecking my mind so that it's next to impossible to really share the full content of what was said and done.

I'm almost to a point where I can't handle it. I'm a doctor. My mind needs to be clear, focused and sharp. I cannot afford to become paralyzed in surgery. I'm not only responsible for your anesthesia and pain management but I am the one that has to save your life if you should stop breathing or if your heart goes into arrest during surgery.

I've never felt so defiled, so violated, so angry, so powerless. "Shame" is one of the words the rapist laid in my mine (mind) field. I heard him say it almost in every breath. With everything he did to me he attached that word to it. He said it in one-two-three syllables. He said it in a multi-layered voice. Almost demonic sounding. There were other words...but I don't believe I can admit them. This one is the only one I believe I can admit.

He damaged my ability to say words! If he hadn't said them like that and looked at me like that while doing the shit he did I might have reacted differently.

"Cry cry cry" in a deeply accented voice is another word I cannot say, hear or barely type. Jesus Christ, I'm typing them. I'm stopping now. I don't want to say anymore of them. Perhaps some of these things are considered a trigger to other people. I think if I black out when they're said then it's because the bomb has gone off and I can't handle the shit of remembering.

Please forgive me if I sound trivial. I'm sorry if my triggers are yours also. I'm sorry if I look like a coward for not being able to admit simple words that bother me and cause me to feel a block. I don't know why I feel this way about the things he said repetitively to me. I don't believe anyone will understand this.

However, the rapist may think he damaged me permanently. But I survived. I've already WON. I just have some hurdles to get beyond. ~Jake

Hey Jake,
That's a brave post. Hopefully typing out those words made you feel better, just a little bit.

It is absolutely true that rape is about power, not sex. The person who raped you wanted to have power over you. And when our minds bring up something about that power dynamic and we feel powerless again, we're triggered.

Many of us have very specific words that trigger us. Mine is the word "curb." Typing that word, now, is easy. You'll get there, too. Right now, just try to understand you're not alone and others DO get it.

Jake, Really sorry you’re going through this. Just take it one day at a time. On this site, you’ll find a lot of people who probably have similar experiences. For me, it wasn’t what the rapist said but instead how he bent me over and then injected me with the shame of his every thrust. I’m just starting to seek therapy on this after 55 years lying dormant. Hope you can find someone to talk to. Hang in there.

I am sorry about what happened to you man. I do hope you can find some help for this.

I identify exactly with you except this just happened to me a first weeks back and it was 3 men that did this. I felt shame too, just like you man, with every thrust. I just felt it important to mention how difficult it is for me to share this because I cannot get passed the words he tormented me with while he was raping me. I cannot verbalize many of the words he say to me. If I could I might be able to say more about my true feelings.

Man if you need to talk with anyone I am here too. Ok? Feel free to post to me here or in private if you want. I am more than happy to have a chat about whatever you want to talk about.

Like you said,
On this site, you’ll find a lot of people who probably have similar experiences

Exactly.

Last edited:
Jake
I see a very brave man when i read your posts. You are standing tall and saying "guys I need your help". And men on this site are responding with the help "you" need.

You're a healer. And you're using the tools and support available here and elsewhere to reclaim your life.

I believe you can. And you will.

Aw you guys make me feel like I can say more. Thank you thank you. You don't know how much it means to me that you're responding at all to me. Because, I don't feel right repeating this stuff that bothers me like that. I think, They gonna think I'm crazy or messed up all because of some little words that this creature taped over my mouth and my mind like duct tape. All because he didn't want me to say anything about what he did to me. One person told me he used sex and the other things to shame me so I wouldn't say shit. And that's exactly what happened to me.

I had another man tell me that it sound like Damian's dad did this to a bunch of other people. I don't know if he did. He was a church pastor. According to his son, who was a very confused young man, his father did it to him all his life. He told me he knew what to do at night when his father would Oh fuck.

I just remembered something. See I knew it! If I think the words it's gonna trigger me. I've been going through all this trepidation not to say anything that''s going to bother you guys. I don't want to bother any of you. I don't know how I forgot this! How can you forget something that just happened, like plain as day? It's going to take me a while to figure it out. Jesus Christ.

What the fuck. I need help like right now. I'm going to go to talk to my wife. She know the basics about what happened. But I fucking can't handle this. I know I won't be able to sleep tonight!!! I don't know where this came from. I was just thinking about what I was going to type to you next.

Thank you guys. You guys build me up. And you don't complain that I even talk about this stuff. The only reason I'm talking about it at all is because it just happened and I was thinking that this is what I'm supposed to do...I'm supposed to talk about it. Right??? I had one guy tell me (publicly...not in private but he shamed me publicly and that's one of my trigger words so I couldn't talk about it man) that maybe I shouldn't post out here all the time about the things I'm remembering because it make me look "self absorbed". That's the last thing I want. I'm not all about myself. I'm no more self-absorbed than anyone else. Except this like just happened and I'm going through all this shit that I can't explain. so gonna go talk to my wife. If I can. I'm not going to be able to sleep now you know. I'm not going to be able to go into my office tomorrow. This is getting bad enough that I can't go into my office every day without having to remember myself being beat and raped there on the floor. And now I got to be looking around my shoulder in the corners, at my ceiling to see if anything is there creeping around. I already had a cleaning service come in and extensively clean that place. Now I got to call an exterminator. That guy will probably say, "you're deluding yourself man. There's no bugs in the winter time." He'll think I'm crazy. Plus if I call one in I have to report that to the hospital administrator. See I have to lie about it. Cause I can't say what really happened. Alex, ODAT and Strangeways, thanks for the response.

Last edited:
Your courage is contagious, man.

I walked a little taller in the world this week. Thank you for that.

Yeah. Thanks Toad man I will do that. I was confused on how much I'm allowed to say. It's bad enough I don't know how to say these things or even type them. I will probably have to put Trigger alerts in all of them for awhile because I'm still realizing what my triggers even are as they are relevant to my circumstances.

I apologize. Maybe it's me then that does not understand. Sorry. I don't know what to tell you. I've never experienced this so I may not reference my feelings or explain them well enough. I hope you can forgive me.

Addendum: I cannot understand words and sensations either. All I know is Triggers and memory blocks surrounding words attached to a sensation . It makes no sense to me either

Last edited:
I apologize. Maybe it's me then that does not understand. Sorry. I don't know what to tell you. I've never experienced this so I may not reference my feelings or explain them well enough. I hope you can forgive me.

There is no need for forgiveness here among friends in a place such as this. I know.

Be well, but regardles don't forget "to be"
Ct

There's a technique that advertisers and others use to make us associate certain words or visual triggers to an emotional state. I know it as "anchoring". Tying words to sensations.

Your attacker was a master at this. He wanted you to see and hear triggers everywhere.

I wish I knew an easy way to replace the sensations/emotions he wanted you to have with more positive ones. Perhaps others have suggestions for this.

But step 1 is awareness. Knowing what those trigger words and images are that have been hooked to our emotional state. Perhaps making a list has value. So you can target the "enemy within".

One technique I use is how I unhook a song that gets in my brain and over stays it's welcome. I have a couple of songs that are anchored to good feelings. And when I want to change the loop in my brain, I sing one of them. It usually takes multiple re-starts. I hear myself back on the hook song (awareness), and I gently start my song from the beginning.

It comes from a meditation technique called "back to one". Where we keep firmly but gently "shepherding" our minds to think what we want.

That's what I thought of when you said "tie words to sensations".

Maybe I should talk to my therapist abput anchoring. That sounds beneficial to me. Of course he's going to make me say them words first no doubt. Thanks Alex. I'm sorry. I was pretty ill this morning. I thought I was replying to ct here. Thank you for your suggestion on Anchoring Alex.

Last edited:
Maybe I should talk to my therapist abput anchoring. That sounds beneficial to me. Of course he's going to make me say them words first no doubt. Thanks CT

I feel like I came in to tell you that you need to be able to block out those thoughts that are not your own. Trust me, when I can say, I have been there.

Your therapist will help you with this. Mine has helped me tremendously. For those times you can't reach out, MS is the best place for understanding, help, etc. etc.

...good luck my friend