Hawaii Male Survivor Group

Hawaii Male Survivor Group

Andre808

Registrant
Aloha,
I'm starting a male survivor group here in Oahu. We have a total of 4 (including me) and 3 of us just met for dinner last week. We're looking to grow the group and connect with other survivors here. We're pretty laid back and just want to connect with others who know what we're gone/going through. Depending on the # of people available to meet, we can do a dinner or have a bbq somewhere out-of-the way. You can learn about my story at the Sex Abuse Treatment Center website www.satchawaii.org Mahalo.

Andre

Way to go Andre! You inspire me.

Right on! Hoping to inspire more survivors on Oahu. I've been to a Weekend of Recovery before and I miss connecting with other survivors like that. I'm hoping to create that here.

I’m a survivor currently stationed at Pearl Harbor. Are you still active? If so, how do I make contact?

I’m a survivor currently stationed at Pearl Harbor. Are you still active? If so, how do I make contact?

You might want to start a conversation with him using that feature of the website. I don't know whether he would receive notification but that is one possibility. I tried the website he mentions above but it is not in service... mmm. Good luck making a connection. If I were living there I'd definitely seek these men out.

We had our first meeting with 5 men last Thursday, September 19. We're planning on doing this monthly, something like the 3rd Tuesday of the month. Please DM me if you're interested. Mahalo!

I'm excited for you Andre. I'd love to meet with fellow survivors, especially so in a leaderless group. Doubtless the years I've spent in 12 Step rooms has given me a model for how deep sharing can happen without the presence of anyone guiding the process.

And is there a working link to the Sex Abuse Treatment Center you mention in your first post? This could be an important resource if it is still operating. All the best to you and your group of men.

It did work when I tried it a few minutes ago. Thanks. I had to do a bit of digging but I did find the page on Male Survivors. The video on the creation of the center forty years ago was female oriented, which was generally the case when sexual abuse was first being recognized... sexual violence against women rather than sexual abuse of children. We've come a long way. Again, delighted about your group.

It did work when I tried it a few minutes ago. Thanks. I had to do a bit of digging but I did find the page on Male Survivors. The video on the creation of the center forty years ago was female oriented, which was generally the case when sexual abuse was first being recognized... sexual violence against women rather than sexual abuse of children. We've come a long way. Again, delighted about your group.
Hi Visitor,
There is a video about male survivors but you have to dig...it used to be on the front page. http://www.satchawaii.org/resources/being-a-male-survivor/

Thanks for that. Perhaps you know of the program in Austrailia for men abused as boys. It is a wonderful resource. Here are videos of men speaking about their experience. There are also videos of therapists talking about their work with men. These were among the first videos I found on YouTube that helped me open up this subject for exploration. Although I first explored the possibility of sexual abuse 35 years ago, it is only this year I feel I've gotten to the bottom of it all. This is my work at the moment.

Wonderful! Beam me up Scotty... :oops:

With a friend I've started a special focus Overeaters Anonymous co-ed meeting titled "Childhood Trauma and Its Impact" that will have its fourth weekly meeting tomorrow evening. We've had five people at each meeting, three women and two men. It is a 12 Step meeting so we hold to that format but with language confirming the presence of trauma in our lives and inviting people to share about it in the meeting. It is a writing meeting in which we write for 15 minutes then share for about 35 minutes. I would love to have a men's trauma recovery meeting but this at the least for the moment is the best I can do. Shares have been very poignant. I believe the meeting is of benefit to everyone who is attending.

I'm really happy for you that this is coming together. All the best to you.

We had 8 men in December and 4 in January 2020, but the "pool" of survivors is up to 10! We're meeting again this month, February 18, 7pm.

Hope the members of your group are aware of Male Survivor. Really happy for you that you guys have been able to keep this going. I'd join a group like that in a heartbeat. Blessings to all of you in your healing!