Fred Tolson: Question about funds/Members?

Fred Tolson: Question about funds/Members?

MrDon

Registrant
Fred,
I do appreciate hearing the hard painful reasons of having to shut down the chat room. I've never used it and actually until a week or so ago, I didn't even realize it was around. That is ok with me as I am not usually very comfortable in a chat room full of people. It usually causes more anguish for me personally than it is worth.

However I know it is very important to many around here as in the heated discussion from yesterday. So I am wondering about something here.

I see on the front page that there are 1616 members to this site (not paid members I would assume). I am not sure what percentage of these people are actually paying members and I don't know if you could give that percentage or not.

One other thing I was thinking about is that often most people don't have much money to give. But if all 1616 people gave $5 each that would be over $8000. While I know not everyone is going to do it, this sort of shows how realistic this could be. I have always been one that has despised the please and begging for financial assistance whatever the cause, but I know that it is not cheap to run a site such as this (from personal experience).

Maybe the needs of MS run deeper than this and if they do, the information is not being passed on to the members. I'm not necessarily saying that it should be in your face information, but maybe a place on the site that shares this with members. It is hard to act or to help when all seems to be well.

I applaud you for coming in at a time and helping make the tough decisions that are needed to keep MS going. It isn't easy creating a balance for services such as this and maintaining one's own life.

Again thank you for the explanation and please keep the information coming so we can all help you together.

Don

Hello Don:
To respond to you and others who are able to see only a small part of what goes on with the organization, let me share a few items.

The number of "members" that is posted (1616 and counting) represents anyone over the past four or five years who has registered for the discussion forum. The "member" may post one item and disappear or may come back and re-register under a different name. Few of these "members" pay dues to the organization, and many who do are either paying the minimum or are made members at no cost because they don't have the money and we let them in anyway.

About the board of directors:
There were a few calls for heads to roll over the past 36 hours. We try to have a well-rounded board with people who can bring professional skills in addition to an interest in male survivor issues. If you go to the board bios, you will see that we have mental health clinicians as well as a college chancellor, clergyman, professor, cargo manager, info tech geek, etc.

The board members not only pay dues but also must pay for the semi-annual board meetings out of pocket. None of us gets reimbursed by our employers and must use personal time, frequent flyer miles, etc. to get to the meetings which may be on the other coast from us. A number of board members have contributed thousands of dollars EACH to the endowment fund and the emergency fund. In any event, most of the board members put in dozens of hours a month on board business.

Fred Tolson has put in more hours than anyone on the board. I've had the pleasure to know Fred for more than 10 years as a member of his one-man organization, MALE, which eventually merged with NOMSV, eventually becoming MaleSurvivor.

Despite hurt feelings, shock and perhaps some overreaction on the part of some in the last 36 hours, please remember that this organization is Fred's life. He will not let it go down the tubes, even if some services need to be curtailed.

The references to better fund raising, business approach, etc., is something Fred has brought to the presidency. We knew in Minnesota, given a possible $30,000 deficit (brought down to $15 k through a lot of work) that we needed a more businesslike approach. Unfortunately, efforts to save a business sometimes involves painful decisions like closing a factory or laying off people. Fred is aware of the hurt and confusion this decision is causing people.

So, stay tuned, help out where you can with ideas, money or energy. We will be here for you.

Ken

Ken,
I do appreciate your open response on this and I look forward to seeing how maybe I can help a little more as well. Hopefully a income dry spell for me will only last a short time but I most likely could donate $5 or $10 right now. Is there a place to donate the money easily?

Don