Father to the fatherless, defender of widows— this is God, whose dwelling is holy.
Psalms 68:5 NLT
Every year at this time, I reflect on both the Negative Father-Figures and the Positive Father-Figures in my life. Both groups helped to shape me, for good or bad, into the man and father to my now-adult hidden.
- Step-father #1,
- Most of the pastors (and male church leaders) I have had over the years,
- Several Christian Youth Group Leaders (when I was in high school & college)
- Fred Rogers aka Mister Rogers (he taught me a lot!)
- My paternal Grandfather.
- Stepfather #2 (started dating my mom while I was in college; even though he didn't raise me, he was still a part of my life)
- My best friend in middle school & high school: I was a lost, lonely introvert with a new stepdad who hated me. His friendship kept me going during those dark years.