Drug Addiction Rehab Program Groups

I went to see my drug counselor yesterday and he wants to add me into 2 groups in addition to individual sessions. One is for mental health drug addiction issues. The other is for addicts dealing with trauma issues. It starts out as a mixed group of men and women and then sepperates into a group for men and a group for women. It will be my first time in group therapy for my trauma issue's. Wish me luck. Thanks, Tom.

Good luck, Tom. Group therapy can be absolutely wonderful. I was in a group for awhile - I was scared to the point of illness to go to a group with women, but it turned into a huge turning point in my healing. May you find the same with your groups.

Tom, best of luck to you on this new journey!
I’ve never been in CoEd group therapy. I’m sure I would have a fair amount of anxiety.
I respect your courage. Keep us posted!
LRD

KMCINVA

Registrant
I went to see my drug counselor yesterday and he wants to add me into 2 groups in addition to individual sessions. One is for mental health drug addiction issues. The other is for addicts dealing with trauma issues. It starts out as a mixed group of men and women and then sepperates into a group for men and a group for women. It will be my first time in group therapy for my trauma issue's. Wish me luck. Thanks, Tom.

Tom

I am glad you are finding support. I believe treating the trauma can be beneficial to treating and controlling the addiction. Good luck and keep us posted on your journey.

Kevin

I'm used to sharing myself freely at my alanon meeting but to be honest with all of you the thought of opening up about my past trauma in a room of strangers brings up major trust issues. Still I'm going to do it because I know it will be to my benefit.

Last edited:
Hi das

I would like to wish you success in group therapy. I tried it for 8 weeks in a co-ed group, I couldn't contribute. I am glad to here your group while being co-ed will separate into male and female. It was more like a workshop and was called a workshop. We never split into smaller groups which may have made it easier to participate.

Good luck!

Hi das

I would like to wish you success in group therapy. I tried it for 8 weeks in a co-ed group, I couldn't contribute. I am glad to here your group while being co-ed will separate into male and female. It was more like a workshop and was called a workshop. We never split into smaller groups which may have made it easier to participate.

Good luck!
I don't have abuse issues with women. So, I'll let all of you know how it go's.

ODAT

Registrant
I found from my experiences in Al-Anon and GA groups, sometimes the first week or so I mostly listen until I feel comfortable with the group. Sometimes one person will share something that hits home with me and I’ll reach out privately after the meeting. Some meetings were just not good fits for me. It’s a process. I suggest to share when your comfortable. At the first meeting, I would often say “I’m happy to be here and I would just like to listen tonight.”

I found from my experiences in Al-Anon and GA groups, sometimes the first week or so I mostly listen until I feel comfortable with the group. Sometimes one person will share something that hits home with me and I’ll reach out privately after the meeting. Some meetings were just not good fits for me. It’s a process. I suggest to share when your comfortable. At the first meeting, I would often say “I’m happy to be here and I would just like to listen tonight.”
I've been with my alanon home group for 8 years now. I've found the women that are there to truly love me. And I have a safe space there to share about what's going on in my life without fear of being judged. My best friend has been a member since she was an alateen is my rock whom I can tell everything to. With my trust issues revolving around men it's the male portion of the trauma group that has me a little apprehensive about sharing. But, I'm open to starting the group becauae in the end I feel it will be good for me.

ODAT

Registrant
You can start slow with the trauma group. You don’t have to share everything at once.Go at your own pace as you feel comfortable. I was in Al-Anon for almost 20 years before moving. This year I have rejoined my group after 8 years from 600 miles away via Zoom. Hence my username ODAT…

I think there are many different support groups that really do help people, I have seen the results in people that go to different groups AA, NA Alanon and so many others. I am glad to hear you have a place like that somewhere you can talk without judgement.

It turned out that when I went to my appointment today that my drug counselor was on vacation. Still, I needed to see my general physician about something so it wasn't a wasted trip. He'll be back next week and I'm still going to enter the groups. So, thanks to all of you guys for your support.