Disclosed my abuse/DV on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday was the one-year anniversary of the day I realized I had to start getting serious about working on my trauma, because the only alternative was continued emotional self-destruction and eventual suicide. It's been quite a year, but I feel like I am finally on the way to becoming fully healed.

To celebrate, I did something that I've wanted to do for several months now: I outed myself as a domestic violence and sexual abuse survivor to my friends on Facebook.

I only have about 200 Facebook friends - the majority of whom are family members or people I know (or have known) in real life. I didn't expect to have much blowback, but I was fully prepared to cut out any idiots for good if I had to, since my lived experience is of course not up for debate.

Well, the reality far exceeded my expectations. 32 people have "liked" my post so far and 18 people have left incredibly supportive comments. I'm very gratified since it could have gone wrong or have been competently ignored. So happy anniversary to me :)

Yesterday was the one-year anniversary of the day I realized I had to start getting serious .....

Well, the reality far exceeded my expectations. 32 people have "liked" my post so far and 18 people have left incredibly supportive comments. I'm very gratified since it could have gone wrong or have been competently ignored. So happy anniversary to me :)
Hi Strangeways,

That's a big step and I'm glad to hear about the validating responses. That's awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.