Clergy Survivors (Should be a Forum Topic)

Why isn’t there a Clergy Survivor public topic area?
Has this never been requested? We have every other subject covered, and anything close is “Spirituality and Survivors” buried in the Member only Forum area.

I find it really hard to search the success of others, or relate to on MS whom have experienced abuse in Church, or by a Church Leader, etc. I have no idea whom has survived this kind of abuse until I post something, which inspires someone come forward.

Just like other focused abuse subject areas, there is a lot of valuable information and feedback to be had. I’ve kept myself quiet on this pretty much since I got here, it does bother me. I can’t imagine it is anymore triggering than child abuse in any case.

It feels like a buried subject, like what the churches do to cover up.
I’m certain we could establish topical rules.

Thanks for hearing me.
Gistin

This is where the public Spirituality Forum is located. (there is also a private one)

Yes, but that is for healthy living.
My point is --> Everything else is a subject but that in the Male Survivor Forums up top.
- Male Survivors
- Military Survivors
- Gay/Bi/Trans Survivors
- Men Abused/Assaulted as Adults
- Survivors of Female Abuse
- Sexual Abuse/Exploitation in Media
?? -> Survivors of Clergy Abuse
etc etc...

Great point @F.A., It is all under an authority figure, or leadership, where that one adult that has been trusted with the care and leadership of youth. I find my struggles under clergy abuse to be very spiritual based.

I have tried to put out my own feelings here in general Male Survivor thread, or in Poetry and I feel responsible to be careful even with just *Trigger Warning. If it had its own thread, one knows what they are getting into, because I have some heavy shit in this area, and I know I’m not alone. I feel anyway...

Tom E.

Registrant
Good idea! I think abuse from clergy or spiritual leader merits a separate category too. There are a lot of survivors from this particular group out there from what I've heard and read. It's an especially heinous crime from trusted servants & guides of a young person's spiritual life.

Healing light

Registrant
I think it does to

Religious organizations maybe ,as there's so many.
I wouldn't want to offend anyones beliefs whilst talking about the priest who sexually assaulted me whilst my uncle exploited young boys and he knew and partook or my feelings about how I think all organisations need to do more to protect children in there care
Schools and youth clubs included and need to be more open about the past and what people have suffered. And support them to reclaim there lives
And profusely apologize for the lives that have been lost
My passion here fueled from the loss of a fellow survivor 11/03/03 his fight was a valiant one I won't forget

Peace
HL

Why isn’t there a Clergy Survivor public topic area?
Has this never been requested? We have every other subject covered, and anything close is “Spirituality and Survivors” buried in the Member only Forum area.

I find it really hard to search the success of others, or relate to on MS whom have experienced abuse in Church, or by a Church Leader, etc. I have no idea whom has survived this kind of abuse until I post something, which inspires someone come forward.

Just like other focused abuse subject areas, there is a lot of valuable information and feedback to be had. I’ve kept myself quiet on this pretty much since I got here, it does bother me. I can’t imagine it is anymore triggering than child abuse in any case.

It feels like a buried subject, like what the churches do to cover up.
I’m certain we could establish topical rules.

Thanks for hearing me.
Gistin
@ModTeam I think this thread is important, It can even be in the members-only sections but these topics need their own forum.

Thank you F.A.,
I would support a duplicate, one members and one public as we have for other topics. I would not understand why it would need to be buried in the Members-only, as I feel it should accessible to all seeking support.

Thank you F.A.,
I would support a duplicate, one members and one public as we have for other topics. I would not understand why it would need to be buried in the Members-only, as I feel it should accessible to all seeking support.
I agree there should be both but just giving out the option

Fortunately, this was not part of my journey but I agree this would be a great forum to add to the website. As part of my healing journey I met a few men who were part of the early years when SNAP came into existence and have followed the crisis in the Catholic Church for the last 25 years, in horror at how the Church has responded to this sad spectacle. I'm not certain that lumping together abuse by all persons holding authority would be useful because religious institutions have unique authority that doubtless plays a part in the process. A teacher doesn't have God on his or her side, simply authority. Abuse within the framework of a religious institution strikes at the heart of our spiritual life and thereby makes recourse to the solace that might be found there unavailable... as though both our innocence and our access to spiritual sustenance has been taken from us. My two cents...

I feel it would be appropriate if @ModTeam @admin would chime in here. I don’t know if their busy, don’t support this, or just hopes this request goes away? I just feel like it was enough for me to finally ask, and no reciprocation from admin kinda hurts. Maybe I’m being overly sensitive...

FYI, They are EXTREMELY slow to respond, so do not take it personally. I know there is no one here full time and they are (from what I understand) focusing their efforts on the new host system and de-bugging it.