Can Dissociative Identities go into remission and later be triggered to 'front'/interact/take control of the body?

Can Dissociative Identities go into remission and later be triggered to 'front'/interact/take control of the body?

GeorgeMartin

Registrant
My question: If one goes through severe constant childhood traumas, physical, emotional, and sexual abuses, the latter dynamic of CSA having been completely repressed from memory/awareness, AND because of that emotional and physical abuse being talked about subsequent 'reparative' therapy is used on a post-trauma child ages 11-13 years, is there the possibility that the D.I.D. goes into remission or hiding from, not only the child, but those around the child/young adult?

Can (D.I.D.) be triggered back from being asymptomatic, into showing symptoms of the condition years later, because of triggers in later older adolescent years.? Like, being 'asleep' like a vampire for years at at time, only to suddenly 'wake up' and begin taking over the body, doing internal dialogue with primary fronting personality?

I tend to think the condition has always been there but I have gaps of memory and therefore confusion about when it started, why and the like. It just seems like I was doing fine until 11th grade of High School and then all of a sudden, I began to crash and burn. I've been told I was never schizophrenic in the first place. Oh and when I was an infant, I was put into 'a study', regarding infancy starvation/retardation (late 1960's and early 1970's), and then the abuse started to happen.

short answer: yes.

DID is a coping mechanism. The brain finds ways to survive. Alters can definitely sleep for a long time if they aren't needed and then can come back later -- either because something has made the system feel that the alter is needed again or because it is time to heal.

My 7 year old "alter" didn't show up until I learned the truth of that abuse. he had been a "troublemaker" ever since. But he is still a part of me.

Last edited:
I hope he feels love, NC. I hope you all do, but especially the kids.

Yes "7" is very much loved by me and I am trying to cater to his wishes when I can.