Bill that eliminates statute of limitations on child sexual abuse in Maine becomes law

Dan99

Registrant

Me Not Me

Registrant
Good for Maine. Not surprising, but still disgusting, about the church’s position. In a similar vein, the BSA is still fighting to keep some of the Perversion Files confidential.

brother2none

Staff member
If I read this correctly, Maine has fully eliminated the statute of limitations, not just a limited time window, like many states have enacted. That really is an achievement. Wish this would finally happen in Pennsylvania. But, same story, the RC church and the insurance industry are lobbying heavily against it, and the Republican Senate leader will not bring the proposed bill to a vote.

Dan99

Registrant
I used to be bitter at the church. That stopped when I gave up on expecting the organization to change. With a little more distance on it, I now see that the church leaders are so hell bent on protecting the pedophile priests and bishops they don't even care that they are destroying what little is left of the institution with these very public efforts to protect pedophiles. Old timers in the congregations just sake their heads and young people just stay away.

I mentioned this bill to one of the Maine legislators who voted for it. She just laughed when I mentioned the church opposition and said, "Oh, please." This is a young mom. She and her friends are on to the church and its pedophilia. They laugh at anyone who thinks the church has standing in any discussion. To them the organization is a cancer that they just avoid. These young people want nothing to do with child rapists. Good for them.

I expect the same will happen to the BSA. Membership is half of what it was. We'll see if they truly reform. I do think they have a better chance than the church, since they are a little bit more democratic. But time will tell. The longer they try to protect the pedophiles, the longer their downward spiral will continue.

The Bluefoot

Registrant
I have mixed feelings about tis. As much as I believe the The SM who abused me was wrong and who abuse the other scouts and the BSA that covered it up Needs to pay a prices. No statue of Limitation I not sure. Maybe against the origination ok but against the person. I for give people. We are human And if people say they are sorry and explain why they did even if the excuse is mental defect. People are in my book are entitle to a second chance in life. If the scoutmaster said he was sorry for what he did to me and the 11 other boys when we were 14 to 16, and the BSA paid for my therapy of the past and future. The SM went to get help for his mental defect of why he did what he did. I would be ok with this. he get a second chance. We are not prefect in life.

Me Not Me

Registrant
I hear what you are saying The Bluefoot, but it is almost unknown for a serial pedophile (at least 11 boys for your SM) to stop molesting boys. BTW, I am really sorry that the bastard hurt you and your friends. According to the FBI, an average pedophile molests 100 kids in his career. When you give a pedophile a second chance, it is not a chance for him to reform, it is an opportunity for him to abuse again. I hope more states join the recent trend to eliminate the statutes-of-limitations for CSA.

GeorgeMartin

Registrant
The States should do away with ANY SOL's and or "windows" for "some" victims. We victims NEED so desperately to be heard and validated in a court of law no matter the state we live in. And no matter how long ago the abuse happened.