Anyone try martial arts?

Adam1234

Registrant
I have been reading a couple books and they mentioned some ways to help with confidence, self esteem, self image and mindfulness and one of those things is martial arts. I have always wanted to get some sort of martial arts/self defense training and was wondering if any of you guys have tried it or do it and if it does help? I know the physical benefits of doing it but I am more interested in the mental health side of it so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LRD

Registrant
I have been reading a couple books and they mentioned some ways to help with confidence, self esteem, self image and mindfulness and one of those things is martial arts. I have always wanted to get some sort of martial arts/self defense training and was wondering if any of you guys have tried it or do it and if it does help? I know the physical benefits of doing it but I am more interested in the mental health side of it so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Adam1234, I have always wanted to try some form of martial art as well. I think it could be beneficial. I have however been an avid weight lifter, on and off through the years.
I’m not a big guy by any means, but it has helped my confidence. I currently lift 4 times per week. I started doing mindfulness/meditation about a year ago. My T got me to try! I thought he was crazy, cause
I could even close my eyes for 5 minutes. It has done more for calming the mind, than I ever thought possible. I wish you luck in whatever direction you go!

SetecAstronomy

Registrant
I've done Krav Maga, Muay Thai, a little Escrima and wrestling, but my favorite and my passion is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

The competitive martial arts have an interesting way of breaking you down and then building you back up again... you suck at first, and you are getting your ass handed to you day after day. Gradually you get better and one day a brand new guy walks onto the mats and you hand their ass to them. It feels pretty good.

Harry

Registrant
Master Splinter taught my brothers and me how to be ninjas. It has helped me channel my chaotic inner turmoil into positive inner peace, and positively outward power.

Master Splinter taught my brothers and me how to be ninjas. It has helped me channel my chaotic inner turmoil into positive inner peace, and positively outward power.
A little TMNT reference there, nice!

I've taken a little Taekwondo in the past, but I think really any martial arts are good sources of confidence & overall mindfulness under the right tutelage. Covid kind of limited the options available out there, but I'm currently looking into taking some Muay Thai classes. Although I tend to agree with SetecAstronomy above that Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a good one as well.

Adam1234

Registrant
Thank you guys for your help. I think I will be trying to start doing some form of martial arts soon just need to find a good place. I have been doing a lot of research and reading on the subject and found a few studies out of the UK where they say martial arts can be very helpful for people who have suffered from trauma and are trying to heal from it. Thank you again be safe and be kind