Antidepressant Study

jeffel

Registrant
Hi everyone,

I found this article which I found really interesting. They were testing the effectiveness of several different antidepressants on depression symptoms for people who had experienced childhood trauma. What they found was that people who had experienced CAS, especially if that abuse was between the ages of 4 and 7, had a poor reaction to sertraline (Zoloft). By contrast, those people had significantly better reactions to escitalopram (Lexapro) and venlafaxine (Effexor). I know this was true with me. Zoloft did nothing, but Effexor really did a great job reducing the panic attacks. At that time, I had no idea why it was that way.

Anyway, I know antidepressants aren't for everyone, but if you're thinking about talking to your doctor and are comfortable disclosing, you might want to give them this article to review before they prescribe you anything. Here's the link:

AlexBoyd

Registrant
Thanks for sharing. These drugs do work differently for different people, but I would caution everyone about being put on Effexor (venlafaxine) . It was an absolute nightmare drug for me. I did not find it particularly effective, and getting off of it was brutal. It required a very long, gradual tapering process, and even with the tapering the dizziness was so severe I could hardly function (and I did follow the doctor's tapering instructions). If your doctor suggests this medication, please do some reading about it before agreeing to start the prescription. Many people have had difficulties with this particular antidepressant.

dark empathy

Registrant
@escitalopram didn't work for me, it just turned me into a total zombie, almost half asleep 23 hours a day.

sertraline wasn't as bad, but it did basically mean I had no motivation to do anything more than just sit around and read and listen to music, it was like being permanently tired.

5-Hydroxytryptophan was around the same, yes, making me much more calm, but making everything far more flat, where I was unable to enjoy or engage with anything, plus it completely interfered with my libido.

My wife even told me she'd rather I didn't take them, since she'd rather be married to the man she married, even given his depression, than be married to a zombie.

Unfortunately, in the UK unless you're abuse was by a family member you can't get therapy on the NHS, all they do is chuck antidepressants at you, and they just don't work for me.

The only thing I have found does work is frequent exercise, albeit with how dam cold it is at the moment that's harder todo.

savage_sid

Greeter
Staff member
I was struggling to figure out what was wrong with me when I was in my mid 20’s, thought maybe depression? Tried a few different meds, hated all of it. Finally figured out it was anxiety, was on Xanax for a long time, eventually tapered that off at some point years later because I yo-yo’ed a lot. At some point I decided to try again and found Buspar to be quite helpful for me.

The only thing I have found does work is frequent exercise, albeit with how dam cold it is at the moment that's harder todo.

I couldn’t agree with this more. Exercise seems to be the most effective treatment. Finding the time is also a real challenge, along with the cold.

I’ve started swimming a mile once a week at an indoor pool. I should really get to the gym too. At least until the weather makes biking easier again.

I tried every single antidepressant pill from 2005 to 2015. Many of them would make me happier - sometimes MUCH happier - for a few months, and then they just wouldn't work anymore. It turns out my problem was not depression but trauma. Once I got into trauma therapy I found that I didn't need ADs anymore (although I still take mood stabilizers for my rage attacks).

I tried every single antidepressant pill from 2005 to 2015. Many of them would make me happier - sometimes MUCH happier - for a few months, and then they just wouldn't work anymore. It turns out my problem was not depression but trauma. Once I got into trauma therapy I found that I didn't need ADs anymore (although I still take mood stabilizers for my rage attacks).
That's good to know, thanks for sharing!

jeffel

Registrant
To be honest, your situation is the reason I started researching articles like this. I've been talking pills since I was in my mid teens. They keep me stable. Without them, I'm in the corner screaming and hitting myself in the head. Not pretty. But after spending time on here, I'm learning that so much of what I experience off meds is consistent with C-PTSD. As I go through therapy, I'll have to talk to the T about what they think is best in terms of continuing or tapering off.