Afraid of My Glory

Afraid of My Glory
This week has been a difficult week. I recently began to go to a very large church with a young, hip, charismatic pastor. (Normally those types of pastors make me nervous because it is all about them instead of Jesus. But my pastor is a humble man who keeps pointing us to Jesus.)

Anyway, I wrote the pastor a letter last fall about how impactful a particular sermon series was on me. We met earlier this spring for the first time and I shared a bit about my abuse and struggle to rebuild my faith.

I was stunned this week when I received a text from him asking me if he could anonymously share part of my story in his Easter message. He talked of his admiration of me and my willingness to fight a long difficult battle and endure. This man has heard thousands of stories over the years from thousands of members of his congregation. I was humbled and wrecked that he was inspired by mine enough to include it in an Easter sermon.

I had an opportunity to watch him preach the sermon early in the week. Afterward I went home and wept in my wife’s arms considering the kind things he said about me in the sermon. It is the same reaction I have when my counselor says kind things about me. I usually have a panic attack and sob. I thought back to a book I read by John Eldredge.

In his book Waking the Dead, Eldredge says: “Your story didn’t start with sin...and doesn’t end with sin. It ends with your glory restored. “..you are being transformed....God is restoring your glory. He is bringing you alive because the glory of God is you fully alive”.

Eldredge immediately asks: “Well, then, if this is true why don’t I see it?” He answers: “The fact that you do not see your good heart and your glory is only proof of how effective the assault has been. We don’t see ourselves clearly”.

I have been assaulted sexually and emotionally. These assaults have been brutal and effective. They spoke a narrative over me that I have believed: that I am a worthless piece of shit. I have embraced that as my core identity. Kind words from people I admire are deeply disruptive and send me into a panic attack and sobbing. Kind words cause me distress because I don’t see myself the way others see me.

Eldredge goes onto say “we fear our glory....The deepest reason we fear our own glory is that once we let others see it they will have seen the truest us, and that is nakedness indeed.”

I considered, however, that Eldredge is only partially right. I also fear my glory because it demands a new way of being. And not surprisingly Eldredge addresses that. He continued: “to begin to let it be unveiled and embrace it as true - that means the next thing God will do is ask us to live from it.”

I want to see myself the way God and other people see me. I want words of affirmation to wash over me. I want to take them in like water offered to the lips of a thirsty man. I just don’t know how to believe what God and others say of me instead of what my abusers have spoken over me. I am afraid of letting go of the way I see myself to embrace a new way of seeing myself. But I still don't really understand why.

Greg123
What a beautiful, faith filled, faith inspiring story!
Thank you for sharing!
Just the desire to see yourself the way God sees you is the beginning of believing it is true: you are worthy, you are loved, your presence among us is of enormous value. Your testimony to the truth of what you lived through is an inspiration to others.
It is a blessing that you have a wife into whose arms you can feel comfortable enough to cry. She is a gift to you as I am sure you are a gift to her.
Easter Blessings to you, your wife and your family.

Amen! Made me think a little about this. First I feel you here. Made me think of conflicting messages we have received through this. Anything negative is attributed to our negative feelings about ourselves and experience. When smacked across the face with something that contradicts this we start wondering if they are wrong or is it you.

Peace be with you.

God is glorified when we speak the truth in love. That is what you did, Greg123, when you "shared a bit about my abuse and struggle to rebuild my faith." What a beautiful story you shared with us, Greg, Thank you.

“..you are being transformed....God is restoring your glory. He is bringing you alive because the glory of God is you fully alive”. Such beautiful words!

“Peter tells us what our aim ought to be in all Christian service—'that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ.' In the work of God, a work not to be done for wages but for love, the humblest labourer is admitted to a share in God's plans, and to an insight into the great purpose which God is working out. That purpose is nothing less than this: that God may be glorified.”
Andrew Murray
‘That God may be Glorified’

What would it mean to you if you are fully loved by God and admired by people?
To be fully loved by God and admired by people would mean the following: first of all, we ARE all fully loved by God, and when we truly understand that, we are called to be vessels of His love to minister to other people. The fact that people may admire us makes us feel good, but it is more important to obey God and act in accordance with His will, which is always to be loving to others. So that is my short answer to your question. But I am not sure it was posed to me - but there is my reply nonetheless. Peace to you and all survivors. These words I wrote are much easire to type than they are to live.

To be fully loved by God and admired by people would mean the following: first of all, we ARE all fully loved by God, and when we truly understand that, we are called to be vessels of His love to minister to other people. The fact that people may admire us makes us feel good, but it is more important to obey God and act in accordance with His will, which is always to be loving to others. So that is my short answer to your question. But I am not sure it was posed to me - but there is my reply nonetheless. Peace to you and all survivors. These words I wrote are much easire to type than they are to live.
I was asking because sometimes it it hard to let go of long held beliefs about ourselves, even if they cause us pain. It can be like the proverbial leap of faith to embrace and new view of ourselves. I wish you the best in your healing journey.

Absolutely wonderful message. I too have begun going to a large church. I have not shared my story, but to hear how your fight may inspire others is a blessing . Remember, God knows you. What happened to us was nothing to be held over our heads. God see’s into our hearts and loves us for turning to him during our struggles.

Thank you Greg, i'd cry there right with you my friend. This was special to read.

If nothing else prevails, love will endure it will be there until the end.

Your words and your posts mean a lot to a kid like me. I couldn't thank you enough. Ok, time to get out of bed and go for a walk around the lake.

Cheers to you, and your strength & courage!

Peace,
Ct

I believe that when God looks at us he ses us, whole, perfected, in glory. A consoling scripture I like for people dealing with loss is Isaiah 54: 10 to 14, or to 17.
10For the mountains may depart, and the hills be removed; but my loving kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall my covenant of peace be removed, saith Jehovah that hath mercy on thee.
11O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will set thy stones in fair colors, and lay thy foundations with sapphires. 12And I will make thy pinnacles of rubies, and thy gates of carbuncles, and all thy border of precious stones. 13And all thy children shall be taught of Jehovah; and great shall be the peace of thy children.
14In righteousness shalt thou be established: thou shalt be far from oppression, for thou shalt not fear; and from terror, for it shall not come near thee.

@Bartimaeus thanks for the post and the scripture. I have had so many breakthroughs since I posted this. I had always thought that God lived in a perpetual state of disappointment and disgust toward me. Last month I exchanged that god for a God who feels love and tenderness toward me. I no longer have panic attacks and am able to receive compliments. There are too many other great things that have happened to write here. But reconciling with Jesus has been the best.

This week has been a difficult week. I recently began to go to a very large church with a young, hip, charismatic pastor. (Normally those types of pastors make me nervous because it is all about them instead of Jesus. But my pastor is a humble man who keeps pointing us to Jesus.)

Anyway, I wrote the pastor a letter last fall about how impactful a particular sermon series was on me. We met earlier this spring for the first time and I shared a bit about my abuse and struggle to rebuild my faith.

I was stunned this week when I received a text from him asking me if he could anonymously share part of my story in his Easter message. He talked of his admiration of me and my willingness to fight a long difficult battle and endure. This man has heard thousands of stories over the years from thousands of members of his congregation. I was humbled and wrecked that he was inspired by mine enough to include it in an Easter sermon.

I had an opportunity to watch him preach the sermon early in the week. Afterward I went home and wept in my wife’s arms considering the kind things he said about me in the sermon. It is the same reaction I have when my counselor says kind things about me. I usually have a panic attack and sob. I thought back to a book I read by John Eldredge.

In his book Waking the Dead, Eldredge says: “Your story didn’t start with sin...and doesn’t end with sin. It ends with your glory restored. “..you are being transformed....God is restoring your glory. He is bringing you alive because the glory of God is you fully alive”.

Eldredge immediately asks: “Well, then, if this is true why don’t I see it?” He answers: “The fact that you do not see your good heart and your glory is only proof of how effective the assault has been. We don’t see ourselves clearly”.

I have been assaulted sexually and emotionally. These assaults have been brutal and effective. They spoke a narrative over me that I have believed: that I am a worthless piece of shit. I have embraced that as my core identity. Kind words from people I admire are deeply disruptive and send me into a panic attack and sobbing. Kind words cause me distress because I don’t see myself the way others see me.

Eldredge goes onto say “we fear our glory....The deepest reason we fear our own glory is that once we let others see it they will have seen the truest us, and that is nakedness indeed.”

I considered, however, that Eldredge is only partially right. I also fear my glory because it demands a new way of being. And not surprisingly Eldredge addresses that. He continued: “to begin to let it be unveiled and embrace it as true - that means the next thing God will do is ask us to live from it.”

I want to see myself the way God and other people see me. I want words of affirmation to wash over me. I want to take them in like water offered to the lips of a thirsty man. I just don’t know how to believe what God and others say of me instead of what my abusers have spoken over me. I am afraid of letting go of the way I see myself to embrace a new way of seeing myself. But I still don't really understand why.
Wow! BelovedSon, this so deeply resonates with me. Not only am I a John Eldredge fan and love Waking the Dead, but I so appreciate how you are wrestling with the concept of your glory.

The screen name I took when joining the site two days ago is Narya 70. It’s a kind of geeky reference to the ring of fire worn by Gandalf secretly throughout the Lord of the Rings. This ring brought comfort, strength, warmth and hope to all with whom Gandalf journeyed. For me, this is a description of the glory that was targeted in me by the enemy when I was abused at age 5. It was the strength and power and fire of Eros in me that was poisoned by doubt, shame and confusion. It is the glory that Jesus is in the process of restoring as I move towards healing.

I love that your glory and courage were named, spoken out loud by your pastor. If that isn’t an example of Easter resurrection power, I don’t know what is! I have tears in my eyes now and I want you to know that a man you’ve never met has also been touched by your glory.

@Bartimaeus thanks for the post and the scripture. I have had so many breakthroughs since I posted this. I had always thought that God lived in a perpetual state of disappointment and disgust toward me. Last month I exchanged that god for a God who feels love and tenderness toward me. I no longer have panic attacks and am able to receive compliments. There are too many other great things that have happened to write here. But reconciling with Jesus has been the best.
I love when someone's comment brings an older post to light. So happy for you for the original post and this update. That must've been the best feeling of validation that your struggles have been worth it all. I've heard said that if we're in Christ, when God sees us, He sees us in His Son.

But there's a quote your post reminded me of about how we see others and even ourselves, from CS Lewis:
"It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship, or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare. All day long we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or other of these destinations. It is in the light of these overwhelming possibilities, it is with the awe and the circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilization—these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit—immortal horrors or everlasting splendours."

@BelovedSon & others:

This is beautiful and the affirming comments are super. How often do we make an impact on someone and never know it? Your pastor did-and through his sermon, others have been/will be affected as well. Look what you started-because you chose to be vulnerable!

I’m so glad you too have a supportive wife-mine also has been a blessing on each step of my journey.

As others have said: where would I be without Faith? I have been fortunate to give my testimony 3 times to different CR (Celebrate Recovery) groups + small groups of men ( 3-10 each time) about 4 times & will do the same talk twice in May.

Each time I give my testimony, at least one person approaches me & shares personal info (mostly their SSA) about their battle. I ALWAYS point them to Our Creator as I am a weak man with a speech impediment. He gives me the wisdom, strength, comforting words and more. One woman, tears streaming down her face, told me that during my 25 minute talk, I gave her insight about her ex’s SSA and she was able to forgive him there-that night. I reiterated: IT WAS NOT ME-I was only the vessel He chose. You will do the same.

I pray that each of us on this male survivor forum can:

1) turn towards The One who created us for comfort, direction & healing.
2) develop a sense of purpose and help other men as we are on our own journey.

If you haven’t already, I would encourage you to read posts & comments by @MO-Survivor. He is a gifted writer & his ability to convey his thoughts in easy to understand language is a blessing-and he too is a Faith-filled man.

Again-thanks to everyone for sharing.

Joe

@BelovedSon - have you seen more breakthroughs since last July? When you read your original post, what still seems the same, and what is different? I am curious to know.

This post made me think of a few things. First, my therapist has talked about "splitting," and I recently incorporated the concept in a response to someone. Splitting is common with children. Young children (younger than about 12), are very concrete, black-and-white, idealistic thinkers to begin with. There isn't much gray area. When it comes to children thinking about other people - they are often viewed as "all bad," or, "all good." You might hear a child say, "He is a bad man!" Or think about the stories when you were a kid of some distant neighbor who lived all alone in a creepy house. Kids will even make up stories about people like this - clearly throwing them into the "all bad" category, and then making up stories to paint them as just plain evil. The movie Home Alone comes to mind. Kevin had an old man living in his neighborhood who would often peer out the window while the kids were outside, and the rumors about this man's creepiness ran rampant. Of course, Kevin's view of the man did a full 180 at the end of the movie - and he discovered the man was really nice and caring and he put the man into the "all good" category instead. In reality, we all are good and bad - but we still find we have a tendency to split even ourselves into "all good," or more likely, "all bad."

Second, there is obviously trauma we endure that can leave an indelible mark on our child brains. @BelovedSon - you and many others had adults (abusers and others) speaking horrible, death-filled things over you (not necessarily about death - but things that brought death inside you). When we endure sexual abuse - and put our abuser into the "all bad" bucket, it's hard not to put ourselves in that bucket too because we were participants in the abuse regardless of our desire or willingness to participate. These lies we were told can be extremely challenging to overcome because they occurred while we were still developing. But we can still, with work, replace these lies with truth.

Last, there is the spiritual aspect of our being. From a Christian worldview we know that, "... while we were still sinners, Christ died for us," and he removed our sins, "... as far as the east is from the west." There is no "splitting" in the Christian faith - we are sinful by nature, but created in the image of God and we are capable (through Christ) of being like him. And until the next life, we will live with this duality of being both good and bad, so to speak. And we will always remember the bad things that others have done to us, as well as the bad things we have done. I wish in this world my sin could be removed as far as east is from west, but... the memories of those things live on in others' minds and in mine as well. Of course, we are way more likely to let go someone else's sin in the spirit of forgiveness than we ever are of our own.

So, all that to say, I do not think we will ever in this life - except in rare moments where we are caught up in the Spirit and can see things the way we will see them in heaven - fully embrace how God and / or others see us. I struggle with this too. I was just telling @NotAshamed1962 the other day that the idea of meeting guys here face-face actually makes me anxious. But it's not from a fear of being seen, or loss of anonymity, or anything like that. Rather it is this: if I meet guys face-face, will they walk away disappointed in me? :) Sounds funny. But written posts aren't quite the same as spoken words that Jesus says are a reflection of what's in our heart. Because we can re-read, edit, and change our written words - before and after they are posted. In face-face situations, we cannot. Even @NotAshamed1962 's calling me out (in a good way) in his reply above makes me want to shrink away and hide (thank you though, @NotAshamed1962).

I know that my story - the same as all of you guys - is a story of glorious perseverance and faith, and most of all reflects the amazing power of God to change and heal lives like ours. And I want others to see his glory through my life - but certainly not my own. Most of that is because my life's story is filled with, "Yeah... but's." Someone might say, "Hey MO - it's amazing the work you are doing, and the healing that has taken place and is taking place in you now." I have learned to say something like, "Yes it is. Thank you." But my response in my head is always, "Yeah... but... what about all the times I have failed? What about the times I acted out and continue to act out (and act in - per @JethroTull's post)? And what if... in the course of telling my story of God's glory... my past failures (and they are big failures) come up and God's good name is tainted because of what I've done." These are all fears for us that keep us from fully embracing God's image of us as created in his image and capable of glory. But one day we will fully embrace this image - because God (like he already does) will see Jesus when he thinks of us, and we will be fully transformed and made like Jesus. That's his promise.

But for now, I know I will have to hold two things at once: I am a sinner, saved by God's grace (not either / or, but both). It is perfectly okay to humbly (because we know we are still sinners) receive encouragement and affirmation for the work we have done and are doing, and for the positive changes in our lives. These positive changes are a combination of God at work in us, and our willingness to say yes to the work he is doing (again - it's not either / or, but both).

@Narya70 Anyone who likes LOTR and Eldredge must be a good guy. I have made a lot of progress since I wrote the original post. I got to such a low point 12 months ago that I was ready to quit. I decided I needed something to look forward to. I decided that I would get baptized again by the same pastor who spoke about me in his sermon. The music was thumping, the lights were flashing and I had a huge crowd of family and friends who knew my story there to support me. And right before I went under the water the pastor spoke words of admiration, affection and blessing over me. My entire life I would bat comments like that away because I have always felt worthless. But I don't feel worthless anymore and I soaked his words in.

@Blueshawk I hadn't considered it until I read your C.S. Lewis quote, but as I have begun to accept my own worth, I have begun to see the worth of others as well. As I have treated myself with compassion, I have been able to be more compassionate towards others.

@NotAshamed1962 Thanks for commenting. I shared my story a few weeks ago a men's weekend. It was an intense experience with several guys talking about how it affected them. One said he too had been abused. I agree that @MO-Survivor has written much that has helped me.

@MO-Survivor When I shared my story at a men's weekend a few weeks ago, I talked about the identity I embraced coming out of the basement - worthless piece of shit. I had an incredible mountain top encounter with God (it was literally on a mountain) centered entirely around his love for me. Two days later my father exploded on me and said that ever since I was 4 he couldn't stand me and took extra travel assignments out of the country to get away from me. After I knew that my experience on the mountain was preparing me for my father's attack. I talked of my progress a bit in this post about getting baptized a few weeks ago: Marking a Milestone

Thanks to all of you for the support as I have healed. Your strength, your honesty, your courage and your vulnerability has been such a big part of my healing.