Abused by my ex girlfriend

Abused by my ex girlfriend

Alonso

Registrant
The last few months I've been really low. I have been even more disconnected from the world than usually. I have barely left home. It's been a huge effort to do even the most mundane tasks. Over the last few years it has been very traumatic to realize how my mother has betrayed me and abused me throughout my life. Now I'm trying to face the fact that Sandra (names are made up), my ex girlfriend, has done approximately the same. I think that's the reason I've been so low these months.

Sandra was my partner between 1995 and 2014. Until 2007 we were "officially" a couple. In 2007 I split up with her, but until 2014 we kept behaving as a couple in many ways. Only recently have I realized that most of those years Sandra abused me, betrayed me and deceived me. However, until quite recently I only said great things about her: She loved me so much, I owed her everything, I was so lucky to have found her, etc.

When I met Sandra I was shattered by the abuses of my parents. When I was thirteen I tried to commit suicide by riding my bike into an SUV. I did it because my parents were heavily mistreating me. The SUV nearly killed me, I was in hospital for two weeks and using a wheelchair and crutches for the next three months. During those three months my parents reduced their abuses and let me have some peace. I had an almost miraculous recovery, but after that their abuse became even worse. My father mistreated me even more than before: He used to hit me, insult me, and say he was going to beat me up until he killed me. My mother pretended she was on my side, but in fact she was always stirring the conflict between my father and me and manipulating my father to make him aggressive and violent towards me. My father is the thug of my mother, but back then I thought that my mother was good, she tricked my sisters and me into believing that she was a victim of my father. Here I explain in more detail some of the abuses of my parents.

I started to date Sandra when I was seventeen. For the first time in many years I felt loved. From the beginning of our relationship we spent a lot of time together. Both of us were virgins (at least that's what she said) and we started to have sex immediately. However, she had a pathological behaviour from the beginning. I had to call her every day, if I didn't she would make a big fuss. Her determination to create drama at the slightest opportunity troubled me, but compared to the abuses of my parents it was heaven, I was delighted with her. Her drama was better than the sexual abuses of my mother or the death threats of my father.

Little by little Sandra's control over me increased. Before I met Sandra my mother thoroughly dominated me. My mother was probably certain that it didn't matter what she did to me, I would always stay tied to her apron strings even if she abused me, so she kept abusing me. For years she remained confident that she controlled me completely in spite of my relationship with Sandra. Little by little I started to get further away from my mother and closer to Sandra, and to become more dependent on Sandra. Sandra was my escape from the hell of living with my parents. Faced with the choice between hell and a little abuse from Sandra, I certainly preferred Sandra's abuse.

I created a family through my relationship with Sandra. Her parents, her siblings, her nieces and even her in-laws became my family, a family that was much more real than my biological family. I spent a lot of time with them, they didn't mistreat me and I could count on them to some degree.

Meanwhile, my parents kept abusing me until I decided to severe ties with them in 1999. For five years (1999-2004) I had no contact with any member of my biological family and focused on Sandra and her (our?) family. Eventually my mother accepted that Sandra was a serious rival in the contest for controlling me. She got back in touch with me and started to be so kind with me. All of a sudden I became her beloved child. She used to say very often that I was great and that she loved me so much, which was so hypocritical, of course.

My mother has never loved me, but neither has Sandra. Loving someone means looking for the best for them, trying to help them be as happy as possible. Usually with you, but also without you if that's the best for them. Sandra didn't want that, she wanted the opposite. Just like my mother, she wanted to keep me as isolated as possible to make sure that I was hers, and hers alone. That was the same my mother had done before, although my mother did it in a much more brutal way. After all, during my relationship with Sandra I was an adult, and, at least in theory, I was capable of standing up for myself, whereas my mother isolated me and abused me when I was a child and I didn't have any chance of standing up for myself.

Paradoxically enough, Sandra and I were supposed to have an open relationship. This idea of an open relationship didn't have much to do with reality, though. It was an "open relationship" in which, even after splitting up, for six years Sandra kept manipulating me to keep me away from other women. It was the opposite of an open relationship, she required me to give her everything.

Although our relationship lasted eighteen years, we only lived together for two years, over two different periods. In these two periods there were times when I didn't want to have sex with her. Maybe the reason is that she was much more a mother (a very twisted one) than a girlfriend to me. So maybe I didn't want to have sex with her because I didn't want to have sex with my mother. When that happened she got so upset. She accepted her role of being my mother in every sense except for the sex. Sex was so important for her, she wanted a lot of sex and got very angry if I wasn't up for it.

In December 2007 I split with Sandra and we "officially" ceased to be a couple. However, we still lived together (without sex) for another nine months, and for most practical purposes we still behaved as a couple for another six years. Over those six years we were in touch almost all the time. I told her almost everything about my life, and we even had sex now and then. "Officially" she was no longer my girlfriend, but she still had a huge influence in my life. I used to do almost everything she wanted me to do. When she didn't want me to hang out with someone (usually a woman), she showed clearly her rejection towards that person. Then, without being aware of what I was doing, I quickly and sharply stopped dealing with that person. All of that still affects my life significantly nowadays. Over the years I severed ties with all the people Sandra disapproved of. Now I barely have any friends, and two of the friends I have managed to keep are people whom Sandra approved of back in the day. Now I wonder why I allowed Sandra to tell me what I could and couldn't do, who I could and couldn't see. I think I accepted it because I wanted to see her as a "good mother", I felt she was the only person who had ever loved me. But I need to accept that she didn't. She's obsessed with me, but that's not love.

In spite of all of this I always saw Sandra in a very positive light. Sandra always said that we would love each other forever even if we were no longer a couple, even if we lost contact, and I believed her. Between 2010 and 2014 I told my therapist this and other similar fictions about Sandra. From these fictions my therapist returned a very distorted view of Sandra. She said: Healthy mother-son relationships are based on unconditional love, the son feels loved in an unconditional way. Your mother didn't give you that. That made you develop the belief that you were not worth of the love of others. But when you met Sandra she treated you as though she was your mother and gave you something similar to that unconditional love you yearned for. Sandra's love helped you to understand that you deserve to be loved. A part of that might be connected to reality, but Sandra didn't really love me, unconditionally or otherwise. She just wanted to control me. But I wanted to believe that she loved me and that her love was unconditional, and that's what I conveyed every time I talked about Sandra.

For years I kept building these fictions about Sandra in my therapy sessions. For the six years we stayed in touch after splitting up, Sandra used to say that she didn't have romantic relationships with any men (I don't know if that's true), and she told me how she sabotaged all her friendships with men. That, coupled with my constant rejection of other women, led me to develop the idea that Sandra and I were blocking each other's lives. My interpretation at the time was that, by staying in touch with each other, I was interfering with her relationships and she was interfering with mine. That interpretation was wrong. It's true that I was allowing Sandra to block my interactions with other people, but I was doing nothing to block hers. Actually, I was doing the opposite. She used to spend hours telling me about her friendships with men and I would listen, support her and give her lots of advice to help her to improve those relations. Anyway, with the help of my therapists I used this wrong interpretation to reach the conclusion that the best for both of us was to severe ties, which would allow us to open up to other people and other relations. The premise was wrong, but the conclusion was right, at least for me.

It took me years to actually do it, but in September 2014 I eventually managed to stop the contact with Sandra. My approach at the time was completely different from the one I have now. Back then I still didn't understand that her behaviour towards me was abusive. For several months I went over the idea and considered the best way of doing it. When I eventually told her, I spent several hours talking to her and explaining my decision. Before I left I hugged her and said "I love you so much, but I know this is the best for both of us. Even if you don't agree now, you will thank me in the future".

Other women
After I stopped the contact with Sandra I had other less important relationships with women who are similar to Sandra and my mother to some extent. It looks like that's what I seek, find and get. I'm never going to find a criminal as dangerous as my mother, but Sandra, as well as Anna and Silvia -whom I dated later- lie, deceive and manipulate to achieve what they want with men just like my mother does. For them, deception and manipulation are the basis of their relationships with men. That seems to be the kind of woman I bring into my life.

From February 2016 until December 2017 I had a romantic relationship with Silvia. It was a quite strange relationship because "officially" it was a friendship and we never had sex. Actually, I told her quite bluntly that I didn't want sex with her. She would certainly describe our relationship in very different terms, though. She would say that we never had a romantic relationship at all. She would also say that it was her who rejected me, not the other way around. I had met Silvia back in 2004. Sandra quickly became jealous of her. She manipulated me against Silvia until I eventually ditched her in 2010. However, I got back in touch with Silvia in 2016. "Officially" we were just friends, but it was clear that there was a lot more going on. For almost two years she sabotaged most of my interactions with women. Our relationship finished in December 2017, when I finally complained about all this sabotaging. I avoided mentioning her obvious romantic interest in me, but it was too obvious that the goal of her sabotaging was to have me just for her. She probably felt humiliated: Not only was I rejecting her, I was actually throwing it in her face. Then history repeated: She decided that she no longer wanted to be my "friend", but she also decided to isolate me from all our mutual friends. She badmouthed me and manipulated them until all of them left me behind, including some that I had introduced to her and she had only known for a few months. Silvia's behaviour was despicable, but obviously the origin of this problem is not my relation with Silvia, not even my relation with Sandra. It comes from my relation with my mother.

Restarting the contact with Sandra
When I severed ties with Sandra in 2014 she didn't give up. She didn't do anything explicit, but she used several tricks in more or less subtle ways to restart the contact with me. Some were quite simple: Until 2014 she had never used Facebook. However, after the last time we met she created a Facebook account and used it to visit my Facebook page constantly, so Facebook was always suggesting that I got in touch with her. For more than a year I kept receiving those suggestions, and I knew that meant she was visiting my Facebook page. It was like receiving a daily request to go back to her.

She also used some more twisted tricks: In November 2017 I managed to do something quite extraordinary for me: I got a date with Paula, a woman I liked, who got along with me, and with whom communication worked pretty well. The morning before our date I received a call from a woman who asked for Sandra. This woman confirmed she hadn't made a mistake when dialling, Sandra had actually given her my phone number. A year later I asked Sandra to explain this phone call and she gave me a very stupid excuse: She said that this was a sales woman who had requested her number to sell her some beauty products. According to her, she initially decided to give the sales woman her real number, but then changed her mind as she was speaking, decided to give her a fake number instead, and eventually gave her my number "by mistake". Quite unsurprisingly that evening I managed to screw up my date with Paula to the point that she didn't want to see me again. As I write I realize that it was only a few weeks later that I stopped my relation with Silvia. While stopping my relation with Silvia was quite healthy, it looks like Sandra's trick played a big part on that.

Between 2014 and 2018 Sandra never called me or texted me directly, but she kept using these and other tricks, subtly but constantly, to get back in touch with me. 2014-2018 was roughly the period during which I rediscovered and faced the worst abuses of my parents, including their sexual abuses. I still don't understand many aspects of those abuses. Sandra, having shared my life for eighteen years, knows my parents very well, at some points she even discovered things about them that even I didn't know. Apart from that, Sandra is also a survivor of sexual abuses, although the abuses she suffered were far less serious than those I suffered. Seeing her determination to restart the contact with me, I considered the idea of helping each other to deal with these abuses. In June 2018 I finally called her and said "we haven't talked in a long time, but I'd like you to help me deal with the abuses of my parents. I think you can help me to understand, and I think that I can help you to deal with the abuses you suffered".

Her initial reaction was very positive. She said she didn't want to discuss the abuses she had suffered, but she was willing to help me with my problems. With hindsight, she probably thought that the real reason why I was contacting her was that I wanted to restart our romantic relationship. Her positive attitude was very short lived because I made it clear very soon that that was not going to happen. I wanted her help with this problem, but nothing more. When she understood this her attitude changed drastically. All of a sudden she was too busy to take my calls. The tone of her messages became very unpleasant. She started to repeat a bunch of lies about me that she used to say often during our relationship: She said that I mistreated her, and that when I moved to Ireland she stayed in touch with me to support me because I was so alone. I have always been very isolated indeed. But she never wanted to help me. Quite the opposite, she wanted to isolate me even more. For years I had heard these lies, and deep inside I always knew they were lies, but until then I had forced myself to believe them to be able to stay with Sandra. But after four years of "Sandra detox", when I heard these lies again I finally managed to answer.

My answer was quite soft, given the circumstances. I sent her a mail reminding her in a conciliatory tone that reality was quite different than what she said. I reminded her, for instance, of the lies she told me about Silvia to trick me into ditching her. And that, indeed, I did ditch Silvia to make her happy. Badmouthing Silvia to keep me away from her was not trying to help me overcome my isolation. It was trying to isolate me even more. Sandra's answer to my mail was "I prefer not to talk to you again". That was the turning point, the moment in which I started to realize who Sandra really is. Still, it took me a long time to react. Back then my life was horrible, as usual, but it was still a bit better than it is now. I had met a woman I liked and I was excited about that. Even after Sandra's answer I hoped we could fix our conflict. It took me months to start to acknowledge that Sandra had been deceiving me for eighteen years. I started to realize that my life is roughly divided in two halves: The first half was dominated by the abuses of my mother, the second half was dominated by the abuses of my ex girlfriend.

In December I had a conversation with Corinna, a woman who befriended Sandra for one or two years. During that time they shared many confidences, but after a while Corinna decided to end their friendship. The reason was that Sandra was so selfish. Corinna has her own problems, like everybody, but Sandra didn't care about that, she only wanted to talk about me. Corinna didn't tell me anything new, deep inside I already knew that's who Sandra is. I had been seeing it for eighteen years, and Sandra's behaviour with me was far worse than it was with Corinna. But it was very important for me to talk to someone who's had an experience similar to mine, it helped me to accept who Sandra is.

No wonder I reject women...

Last edited:
The word I thought of when reading about Sandra was "narcissist." I watched a few videos on You Tube recently on narcissistic abuse, and Sandra appears to exhibit the behaviors described on those videos.

@Alonso Hello, it's been a while, and I can understand from this post that you've had a lot on your mind. Sorting that into managing what's best for you has looked complex and thoroughly considered. I can appreciate that thoroughness, it's been my experience as well. There are so many nuanced paths to consider and influences guiding to any one of them.

I hope there's been some improvement toward therapists? I hope I'm not being too personal?

When I too fully recognized the very poor relationship with my wife, it's taken a lot of therapy toward managing what's going on with the ptsd, depression, and many life concerns. There's some time to manage step by step, and when I see some part of a goal realized, that's helped keep me going.

Best wishes Alonso

Disclaimer: For convenience, this post contains material copied from another website. I have been searching for a while, but I just couldn’t find the rules of the forum, so I hope this fits the rules.
The word I thought of when reading about Sandra was "narcissist." I watched a few videos on You Tube recently on narcissistic abuse, and Sandra appears to exhibit the behaviors described on those videos.

Over the years I’ve come across the concept of narcissism many times, specially in the context of my healing process, but I’ve never learned what it means. So I googled it, found this narcissism test, and decided to try it. It says that “a person needs to exhibit only 55 percent of the identified characteristics to be considered narcissistic”. It features fourteen characteristics, so it would take eight “checks” to identify someone as a narcissist.

A problem I've had doing this test is that, even though I had a very intense relation with Sandra for eighteen years, I don’t really know much about how she behaves with other people, mainly because I was very isolated for most of those years. Therefore, my answers to the test questions are almost exclusively about her behaviour with me.

1. Superiority and entitlement
The world of the narcissist is all about good/bad, superior/inferior, and right/wrong. There is a definite hierarchy, with the narcissist at the top—which is the only place he feels safe. Narcissists have to be the best, the most right, and the most competent; do everything their way; own everything; and control everyone. Interestingly enough, narcissists can also get that superior feeling by being the worst; the most wrong; or the most ill, upset, or injured for a period of time. Then they feel entitled to receive soothing concern and recompense and even the right to hurt you or demand apologies to “make things even.”

This reminded me that, when we were still a couple, I used to describe Sandra’s behaviour as “enlightened despotism”, a term I learned in my history lessons in high school. "Under enlightened despotism the monarch retains absolute power but uses that power to protect the good of the masses". Sandra was certainly determined to make me do almost everything her way, but I believed that she was convinced that she did it for my own good, like a “benevolent queen”. I guess it’s time to challenge that view.

Sometimes her “despotism” was almost comical. When we ordered Chinese food, for instance, the process of choosing the food became a predictable joke. In order to avoid the unavoidable argument, I would start by saying “just order whatever you want for both of us, it’s fine with me”. But that wouldn’t work, of course. She would say “no, no, you choose what you like”. With a sigh of resignation I said “OK, I’ll have x”, to which she inevitably replied “What, are you crazy? You can’t order only x. At least you have to order also y!” Then I said “Fine, then I’ll have x and y”. But that didn’t cut it either, of course. She said that I didn’t have to order something just because she had suggested it, then I would choose something different, then she would complain about my choice again. This ridiculous argument woudl go on for a while, almost making me feel that I’d rather not have dinner at all. This happened every single time we ordered food, and I guess it also happened most times we had to choose anything at all.

So I guess
this one is a “check”.
2. Exaggerated need for attention and validation
Narcissists need constant attention—even following you around the house, asking you to find things, or constantly saying something to grab your attention. Validation for a narcissist counts only if it comes from others. Even then, it doesn’t count for much. A narcissist’s need for validation is like a funnel. You pour in positive, supportive words, and they just flow out the other end and are gone. No matter how much you tell narcissists you love them, admire them, or approve of them, they never feel it’s enough—because deep down they don’t believe anyone can love them. Despite all their self-absorbed, grandiose bragging, narcissists are actually very insecure and fearful of not measuring up. They constantly try to elicit praise and approval from others to shore up their fragile egos, but no matter how much they’re given, they always want more.

Sandra doesn’t brag much, but other than that, this describes her relation with me quite accurately. So “check”.
3. Perfectionism
Narcissists have an extremely high need for everything to be perfect. They believe they should be perfect, you should be perfect, events should happen exactly as expected, and life should play out precisely as they envision it. This is an excruciatingly impossible demand, which results in the narcissist feeling dissatisfied and miserable much of the time. The demand for perfection leads the narcissist to complain and be constantly dissatisfied.

I wouldn’t call it perfectionism, but Sandra certainly wanted and expected me to do things her way all the time. Check.
4. Great need for control
Since narcissists are continually disappointed with the imperfect way life unfolds, they want to do as much as possible to control it and mold it to their liking. They want and demand to be in control, and their sense of entitlement makes it seem logical to them that they should be in control—of everything. Narcissists always have a story line in mind about what each “character” in their interaction should be saying and doing. When you don’t behave as expected, they become quite upset and unsettled. They don’t know what to expect next, because you’re off script. They demand that you say and do exactly what they have in mind so they can reach their desired conclusion. You are a character in their internal play, not a real person with your own thoughts and feelings.

Again, quite accurate description of Sandra. Check.
5. Lack of responsibility—blaming and deflecting
Although narcissists want to be in control, they never want to be responsible for the results—unless, of course, everything goes exactly their way and their desired result occurs. When things don’t go according to their plan or they feel criticized or less than perfect, the narcissist places all the blame and responsibility on you. It has to be someone else’s fault. Sometimes that blame is generalized—all police, all bosses, all teachers, all Democrats, and so on. At other times the narcissist picks a particular person or rule to blame—his mother, the judge, or laws that limit what he wants to do. Most often, however, the narcissist blames the one person who is the most emotionally close, most attached, loyal, and loving in his life—you. To maintain the façade of perfection, narcissists always have to blame someone or something else. You are the safest person to blame, because you are least likely to leave or reject him.

Ditto. Check.
6. Lack of boundaries
Narcissists can’t accurately see where they end and you begin. They are a lot like 2-year-olds. They believe that everything belongs to them, everyone thinks and feels the same as they do, and everyone wants the same things they do. They are shocked and highly insulted to be told no. If a narcissist wants something from you, he’ll go to great lengths to figure out how to get it through persistence, cajoling, demanding, rejecting, or pouting.

Once again, not much to add. Sandra was used to getting what she wanted from her family and from me. It was very rare that I said no to her, and she was shocked when it happened. Check.
7. Lack of empathy
Narcissists have very little ability to empathize with others. They tend to be selfish and self-involved and are usually unable to understand what other people are feeling. Narcissists expect others to think and feel the same as they do and seldom give any thought to how others feel. They are also rarely apologetic, remorseful, or guilty.

But narcissists are highly attuned to perceived threats, anger, and rejection from others. At the same time, they are nearly blind to the other feelings of the people around them. They frequently misread subtle facial expressions and are typically biased toward interpreting facial expressions as negative. Unless you are acting out your emotions dramatically, the narcissist won’t accurately perceive what you’re feeling. Even saying “I’m sorry” or “I love you” when the narcissist is on edge and angry can backfire. He won’t believe you and may even misperceive your comment as an attack.

In addition, if your words and expressions aren’t congruent, the narcissist will likely respond erroneously. This is why narcissists often misinterpret sarcasm as actual agreement or joking from others as a personal attack. Their lack of ability to correctly read body language is one reason narcissists are deficiently empathetic to your feelings. They don’t see them, they don’t interpret them correctly, and overall they don’t believe you feel any differently than they do.

Narcissists also lack an understanding about the nature of feelings. They don’t understand how their feelings occur. They think their feelings are caused by someone or something outside of themselves. They don’t realize that their feelings are caused by their own biochemistry, thoughts, and interpretations. In a nutshell, narcissists always think you cause their feelings—especially the negative ones. They conclude that because you didn’t follow their plan or because you made them feel vulnerable, you are to blame.

This lack of empathy makes true relationships and emotional connection with narcissists difficult or impossible. They just don’t notice what anyone else is feeling.

This reminded me of a very sad situation that happened not long after we started to date. We had had sex and I hadn’t enjoyed it very much, but I said nothing at the moment. However, I did tell her a bit later, which was very unusual in me, I normally didn’t (and still don’t) say anything about my negative feelings. She was upset with my revelation, she asked why I hadn’t said anything when it happened. Explaining the reason took me a lot of effort: I have been mistreated all my life, and I’m used to being ignored or chastised when I complain about anything. That has lead me to assume automatically that nobody will care about how I feel. Hence, I just avoid expressing my feelings in order to avoid further pain. She got so upset when I said this. She said that that was such a sad story and she didn’t want to hear it because she felt that I was manipulating her into feeling pity for me. Of course, that led me to express my feelings even less when I was with her.

So this one is a big CHECK.
8. Emotional reasoning
You’ve probably made the mistake of trying to reason and use logic with the narcissist to get him to understand the painful effect his behaviors have on you. You think that if he understands how much his behavior hurt you, he’ll change. Your explanations, however, don’t make sense to the narcissist, who only seems able to be aware of his own thoughts and feelings. Although narcissists may say they understand, they honestly don’t.

Therefore, narcissists make most of their decisions based on how they feel about something. They simply must have that red sports car, based entirely on how they feel driving it, not by whether it is a good choice to make for the family or for the budget. If they’re bored or depressed, they want to move or end the relationship or start a new business. They always look to something or someone outside themselves to solve their feelings and needs. They expect you to go along with their “solutions,” and they react with irritation and resentment if you don’t.

This seems like a mix of 1, 2, 6 and 7, so yep, check.
9. Splitting
The narcissist’s personality is split into good and bad parts, and they also split everything in their relationships into good and bad. Any negative thoughts or behaviors are blamed on you or others, whereas they take credit for everything that is positive and good. They deny their negative words and actions while continually accusing you of disapproving.

They also remember things as completely good and wonderful or as bad and horrible. They can’t seem to mix these two constructs:

Marty labeled the whole vacation ruined and the worst ever because the hotel room didn’t meet his expectations and the weather wasn’t perfect. Bob was blamed for 20 years because he wasn’t there when his wife had their first child even though he was stranded in Chicago in a snowstorm. Marie’s husband dismissed her concerns about the $30,000 cost for the new landscaping because he loved it.

Narcissists aren’t able to see, feel, or remember both the positive and the negative in a situation. They can deal with only one perspective at a time—theirs.

I'm not sure about this one. Sandra liked to blame me (and still does) for an awful lot of things, but she also gave me credit for some positives. She did acknowledge virtues like my sensitivity, my generosity, or the fact that I helped her to feel safe and calm. Then again, when she got angry with me she seemed to forget all of that and used to say that I am such a horrible person.
10. Fear
The narcissist’s entire life is motivated and energized by fear. Most narcissists’ fears are deeply buried and repressed. They’re constantly afraid of being ridiculed, rejected, or wrong. They may have fears about germs, about losing all their money, about being emotionally or physically attacked, about being seen as bad or inadequate, or about being abandoned. This makes it difficult and sometimes impossible for the narcissist to trust anyone else.

In fact, the closer your relationship becomes, the less he will trust you. Narcissists fear any true intimacy or vulnerability because they’re afraid you’ll see their imperfections and judge or reject them. No amount of reassurance seems to make a difference, because narcissists deeply hate and reject their own shameful imperfections. Narcissists never seem to develop trust in the love of others, and they continually test you with worse and worse behaviors to try to find your breaking point. Their gripping fear of being “found out” or abandoned never seems to dissipate.

Sandra’s life is heavily motivated by fear indeed. From the examples above, she’s often afraid of being ridiculed, rejected, or wrong, about being emotionally or physically attacked, about being seen as bad or inadequate, and about being abandoned.

She used to claim that she told me everything that happened in her life and that she fully enjoyed sex with me, so I always believed that she trusted me and had true intimacy and let herself be vulnerable with me. However, in the last few months I’ve been acknowledging that she has deceived me in so many ways, it wouldn’t be a big stretch to guess that she might have deceived me in this as well.

For several years after we “officially” split, I tried to help her improve her life by coaching her on doing some self help work. She made some progress, but not much. Part of the reason was that she refused to acknowledge the flaws in her life. She said her life was great. When I tried to challenge that idea and question whether she really was fulfilled intelectually, sexually, and in other areas, she became very upset and said she didn’t want to talk about it. So I guess this is another “check”.
11. Anxiety
Anxiety is an ongoing, vague feeling that something bad is happening or about to happen. Some narcissists show their anxiety by talking constantly about the doom that is about to happen, while some hide and repress their anxiety. But most narcissists project their anxiety onto their closest loved ones, accusing them of being negative, unsupportive, mentally ill, not putting them first, not responding to their needs, or being selfish. All this is designed to transfer anxiety to the loved one in an attempt to not feel it themselves. As you feel worse and worse, the narcissist feels better and better. In fact he feels stronger and more superior as you feel your anxiety and depression grow.

A very solid “check” here. Sandra was a constant source of doom and gloom. As I said earlier, she did acknowledge the fact that I helped her feel safe and calm, but that came at the cost of me swallowing all her doom and gloom and feeling anxious and depressed myself.
12. Shame
Narcissists don’t feel much guilt because they think they are always right, and they don’t believe their behaviors really affect anyone else. But they harbor a lot of shame. Shame is the belief that there is something deeply and permanently wrong or bad about who you are. Buried in a deeply repressed part of the narcissist are all the insecurities, fears, and rejected traits that he is constantly on guard to hide from everyone, including himself. The narcissist is acutely ashamed of all these rejected thoughts and feelings. For example, I had one narcissistic client who was into skydiving and other intense risk-taking behaviors tell me that he never felt fear. “Fear,” he said, “was evil.” He was clearly on a crusade to defeat it.

Keeping his vulnerabilities hidden is essential to the narcissist’s pretend self-esteem or false self. Ultimately, however, this makes it impossible for them to be completely real and transparent.

This doesn’t seem to describe Sandra. She has tons of insecurities, and she shared them with me all the time. I guess there might be some shames and insecurities she didn’t share, but still it doesn’t look like this is her.
13. An inability to be truly vulnerable
Because of their inability to understand feelings, their lack of empathy, and constant need for self-protection, narcissists can’t truly love or connect emotionally with other people. They cannot look at the world from anyone else’s perspective. They’re essentially emotionally blind and alone. This makes them emotionally needy. When one relationship is no longer satisfying, they often overlap relationships or start a new one as soon as possible. They desperately want someone to feel their pain, to sympathize with them, and make everything just as they want it to be. But they have little ability to respond to your pain or fear or even your day-to-day need for care and sympathy.

Solid check.
14. An inability to communicate or work as part of a team
Thoughtful, cooperative behaviors require a real understanding of each other’s feelings. How will the other person feel? Will this action make both of us happy? How will this affect our relationship? These are questions that narcissists don’t have the capacity or the motivation to think about. Don’t expect the narcissist to understand your feelings, give in, or give up anything he wants for your benefit; it’s useless.

This seems to be essentially a repetition of point 7, so “check” again.

That's 12 yeses, one unsure and one no. So if this is a half decent test I guess Sandra is a narcissist indeed.

Last edited:
I hope I'm not being too personal?
Don't worry about being too personal. My hope when writing these posts is that they create meaningful discussions, whether about my difficulties or about somebody else's. So no problem with being too personal, quite the opposite.

I hope there's been some improvement toward therapists?
Not sure at this point. Over the past few months I was seeing one of the few therapists in Madrid specialized in sexual abuse. In theory she should have been the best choice, but in practice I didn't like her and felt quite uncomfortable in her presence. I decided to wait a few sessions to take a decision, but after six sessions my negative feelings were still the same, so I stopped that therapy.

Last week I started with a new therapist who is not so focused on the sexual abuse area, but still has extensive experience treating both sexual abuse survivors and perpetrators. Since we've only had one session so far it's too early to make an evaluation, but I feel much more comfortable with him than with my previous therapist, and actually it's the first time I feel comfortable with a male therapist, so that's a good sign.

When I too fully recognized the very poor relationship with my wife, it's taken a lot of therapy toward managing what's going on with the ptsd, depression, and many life concerns.
Have you shared some of that in the forum?

There's some time to manage step by step, and when I see some part of a goal realized, that's helped keep me going.
Yes, same here. I know this thread sounds quite depressing, but once I got it out of my chest, things have started to improve in my life. Nothing spectacular, my main problems remain the same, but I have started to socialize a bit more and I've even met a woman that I haven't rejected straight away. Creating this thread and writing the first post was so difficult, but I believe it was also very therapeutic for me.