1in6 lie/agenda about orientation and abuse

I too find this conversation sad but more because the original post is to me so opaque.
This conversation is not sad - it is tragic.

The original post is not opaque to me, it is crystal clear and has been demonstrated through my lived experience. The fact that my lived experience is seen by some as not comporting with what they believe is beyond my control and does not change my experience.

The fact that I was ambushed for stating that the original post rings true to me, is tragic. I came here to bear witness to the fact that a little boy was raped, molested and otherwise used for the sexual gratification of the perpetrators and to also testify as to how having lived through this and how gaining conscious recall of these events impacted my sexuality. For any other person to discount my experience is wrong - but to be ambushed for stating my experience and to be beaten up and to be left crippled and bloodied by the roadside by an "expert" who uses "science" and intellect to support his attack - is _____________ You fill in the blank. I was raped as a child. It impacted me. No one has the right to tell me that it did not - at least not in the way I think - because my experience (they think) contradicts their understanding or their experience or God knows what.

I am not here to perpetuate this tragic set of circumstances - that darkness does not comprehend the light - I am here to state my experience. That is what I did, and I was attacked. So you can leave because it makes you uncomfortable and I might leave because I came here seeking a place where I can be honest with myself and the world and to, hopefully, recieve support - and I have - but I did not come here to be attacked for NO REASON other than reasons in the attacker's mind which were, perhaps, borne out of his own woundedness - but that does not grant a license to wound me anymore than the perpetrators own woundedness excused their rape of a 5 year old.

And The Light is shining in the darkness, and the darkness did not overtake it. The light shines in the dark, and the dark has never extinguished it. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness apprehended it not.

sardonis

New Registrant
A new peer-reviewed study published 2 weeks ago may be interesting to people on this thread. It's the largest, international study ever conducted on the topic (with a sample space of just under half a million individuals). The study concluded that genetics only plays a minor role (8% to 25%) in the heritability of human sexuality, as a polygenic trait. The study also debunks an earlier claim that there was a gay gene in the Xq28 region of the human genome (that study just had 114 families as samples and was underpowered and invalid):

(Researchers warn that this should not be taken to mean that conversion therapy works. Also, keep in mind that "born this way" is a political slogan, not a scientific law. It should not be blindly stated as scientific fact. One primary drawback of the study is that it was mainly conducted on people with European ancestry).

Sexual orientation "is influenced by genes but not determined by genes," said Brendan Zietsch, senior author of the study and a genetic researcher at the University of Queensland.

A new peer-reviewed study published 2 weeks ago may be interesting to people on this thread. It's the largest, international study ever conducted on the topic (with a sample space of just under half a million individuals). The study concluded that genetics only plays a minor role (8% to 25%) in the heritability of human sexuality, as a polygenic trait. The study also debunks an earlier claim that there was a gay gene in the Xq28 region of the human genome (that study just had 114 families as samples and was underpowered and invalid):

(Researchers warn that this should not be taken to mean that conversion therapy works. Also, keep in mind that "born this way" is a political slogan, not a scientific law. It should not be blindly stated as scientific fact. One primary drawback of the study is that it was mainly conducted on people with European ancestry).

Sexual orientation "is influenced by genes but not determined by genes," said Brendan Zietsch, senior author of the study and a genetic researcher at the University of Queensland.
Thank you for posting this, @sardonis

To your knowledge, has there been any such genetic study of other species (e.g., bonobos) that exhibit unforced wild-type physical aspects of SSA?

I don't think anyone is promoted that there is a gay gene. There are a lot of factors that shape sexuality. It could be related to hormones in utero.

sardonis

New Registrant
Thank you for posting this, @sardonis

To your knowledge, has there been any such genetic study of other species (e.g., bonobos) that exhibit unforced wild-type physical aspects of SSA?
I'm sorry, I personally do not know if similar studies have been conducted on other animals. This study used a technique known as GWAS (genome wide association study), which is fairly recent and requires a large sample to give accurate results (and also requires knowledge of the complete genome of a species). I think bonobo genome was sequenced very recently (2012) and it would probably take a long time before enough samples can be collected to actually conduct such a study on animals.

sardonis

New Registrant
I don't think anyone is promoted that there is a gay gene. There are a lot of factors that shape sexuality. It could be related to hormones in utero.
This study isn't about a single gene, per se. It says that the entirety of the human genome (including any genes that could lead to hormonal variation) only accounts for upto 25% of your sexuality (or less). Of course, that means, hypothetically, that there are other factors (but they're not scientifically proven one way or the other). It's just speculation. The new study just shows that the old studies, that motivated the belief that sexuality is genetically determined, no longer hold up. This study rules out a lot of genetic factors (as well as factors that are directly or indirectly linked to genetics).

Last edited: